Funny and creative... but that doesn't make it fun.

User Rating: 5 | Psychonauts PC
All the creativity and humor you'd expect from Tim Schafer is present. In fact, even though this is a 3D platformer, it's really an adventure game in disguise.

Unfortunately this doesn't make up for a camera that floats around in ways that aren't intuitive, laggy awkward controls, and tedious item collection.

The collecting, ugh. The variety of types of things to collect becomes overwhelming. Cards, arrow heads, psychic arrow heads, cores, figments, cobwebs, baggage, scavenger hunt items, etc.

I want to love this game because the characters are entertaining. I've tried to get through this game 3 times over the years, but the gameplay is so boring I can't stand more than a few hours before uninstalling it again.

Psychonauts has a well deserved reputation for its uniqueness, but I guess the game play is either love it or hate it.

Personally, I don't believe there's such a thing as a 3D platformer that works well (outside of the Prince of Persia series). I would have been happier with this as a full adventure game.

Play Grim Fandango or a Monkey Island game instead.