An awesome tech demo.

User Rating: 6.5 | Prototype X360
When watching the many videos of Prototype leading up to its release, I couldn't help but be a little amazed at the amount of carnage and bevy of options at the player's disposal. After dropping 60 dollars on this game, however, I cannot help but be disappointed.

A quick run down on the hard facts; this game looks bad, and it's some what understandable because of the scope. There's a lot on screen, and the open world is vast, so I was never expecting this game to have the visual polish of something like MGS4 or RE5. Still, I was expecting better than what this game gave me. Everything looks very bland, and the effects look like stock stuff from a graphics library.

The sound is less than inspiring. Voice acting is laughable, like its all one big joke they threw in to give the game a story. That's all I can say really... play it on mute to save your ears, and listen to a cutscene or two for some laughs.

Ah yes, the cutscenes... Some of them are downright terrible. It's like a high school play. You recognize them as cutscenes, but they're amateur compared to what you've seen from other people.

Alright, now that the garbage is out of the way, onto what's really important, playing the game. This game may seem overwhelming at first, with the ability to do so much, but the controls are very competent, and moving around isn't difficult at all, even when doing some pretty crazy stuff. This allowed me to get the hang of things pretty quickly, but perhaps that's part of the downfall of this game, I'd say after just two hours, most people will be able to have seen and done everything more than once, making the rest of the storyline portion more of a chore than anything else.

When under developement, Activision made it very clear that you could be anyone and destroy nearly everything "Buildings remain rather invincible". They have delivered on that promise, but all too well. Yes, you can be anyone, and yes, you can destroy everything, but the game feels like it was made for that purpose.

When you gut someone and take on their face, no one around seems to care or even notice. I don't know about you, but if I saw someone get speared and blood everywhere, I'd probably freak out.

When it comes to destroying things, it seems like its your job. It is not a means of dispatching pursuers or completing an objective. No, destroying everything around you seems to be an event that this game gravitates towards, like it cannot function without it happening every minute. It's cool at first, but after the first 30 minutes it got pretty boring, and after an hour long session, I'd mark it down as an annoyance.

So, let's say you don't destroy everything for a while, and really take a look at this world that has been crafted. This is when things really became clear to me. The world is huge, and full of people. Full of lifeless people. This is nothing like the very alive cities of Assassin's Creed, or the colorful streets of GTA4. No, this is one giant, grey, drone filled killing field. And if there's no killing, then all you have is grey.

So how about when the army comes to get you? Please... they can't kill you. This game makes you into a human God. You rip through people like a hot knife through butter and take care of tanks and helicoptors like a kid would his plastic toys. Again, it feels like these enemies were made to be destroyed by you, not challenge you. Just a means to amuse you, if you will.

All told, I have not beaten this game. I have only played it for probably 8 hours, but that's enough. It's just the same thing over and over again, and the story does nothing to compel me to finish. This would have made a great tech demo or model of an early open world concept. Those are the key words; demo, model, concept. This game very much fits those words, and would have been better off left as that. It suffers from a lot of the problems that AC had in that it was very repetative to the point of becoming a boring chore. The difference here is AC had a good story and an amazing open world filled with life. Prototype trades that in for dumb fun. Huh... it's called Prototype... I guess that's the irony of it all. This game is a prototype.