Alex Mercer [possible spoiler]

#1 Posted by kongming30 (43 posts) -

Since he became such an ass, don't really mind killing Alex Mercer... but I find it rather puzzling:

1) if he wants to wipe out the population, why save it in P1 from the nuclear weapon?

2) he seemed to have retained some of his humanity in P1 (saved the people from nuclear detonation, asked that doc to take care of Dana). why did his ego evolved into this SOB in P2?

3) upper Manhatten was detonated in P2 ("death zone"). WTF!?

4) at the end of P1, something regenerated from the bloody mess Alex beat up. What was that and what became of it!?

Avatar image for Spastic_Nutcase
#2 Posted by Spastic_Nutcase (25 posts) -
1) The nuke would've wiped out EVERYTHING, including him, if it detonated above land. Also alex doesnt want to wipe out the population in P2, he wants to make an army of evolved, cant do that if theyre all dead. 2) In P1 he thought he was alex mercer. He comes to find out that alex mercer died, and the virus just copied the freshly dead alex mercer, so when the virus "woke up" it believed it was alex. After finding this out towards the end of P1, along with how powerful he had become, its easy to see why he did a 180. (Although i really dont like it, since he went from being a complex character to the same old run of the mill "I want to take over the world" kind of villain. Yuk.) 3) the nuke detonation caused that from P1 4) that bloody mess wasnt from what alex beat up, that was alex splattered all over the place from the detonation of the nuke, and it grabbed a crow to regenerate.
#3 Posted by unboundfilms (25 posts) -

Not to mention, at the end of the first game, he said "What Alex Mercer did was unfogivable."

Why the %@#$ does he do it himself less than a year later?

#4 Posted by FuBi2k (200 posts) -

Also, the pre-release comic "The Anchor" reveals that Mercer spent most of that next year after saving New York trying to find a redeeming quality in mankind. It ends with him returning before releasing the new "Mercer Virus" on NYZ, angry because of the facades, inhumanity, and selfishness he witnessed during his travels. He decides that humans have had their time, and it's time for something more "evolved".

#5 Posted by ZikenX (3679 posts) -

Actually the developers kind of give it away. After the nuclear explosion, when Alex regenerates from practically nothing, he's not the same. Developers hint at this so many times during the time they were explainning the story. No where did it hint in P1 that Alex was turning bad at the end. In fact, he seems extremely sympathetic for all the people he killed, as well as noting that New york is still infected and he has work to do to stop it.

Someone said that he was just the virus to begin with, that it just took the form of alex. Totally wrong. Alex just suffered memory loss, if that was the case, he wouldn't care about his sister and what not. Plus, to be honest that could just be said about Heller too then, because he has the virus, maybe the viruse thinks its just Heller? See, doesn't work that way.

#6 Posted by FuBi2k (200 posts) -

Hmm... I'm not sure I follow.

ZikenX: "After the nuclear explosion, when Alex regenerates from practically nothing, he's not the same."

If I recall correctly, Alex wasn't actually shown as destroyed. While he could have regenerated it's not shown specifically. We simply get a shot of Alex after the explosion, proving his survival.. but then you say:

No where did it hint in P1 that Alex was turning bad at the end. In fact, he seems extremely sympathetic for all the people he killed, as well as noting that New york is still infected and he has work to do to stop it.ZikenX

Your assertion was that he changed due to the nuclear explosion but if you say he is still sympathetic in the end then how can you say that was the event that changed him? Unless you meant the first part to relate to something else.

Someone said that he was just the virus to begin with, that it just took the form of alex. Totally wrong. Alex just suffered memory loss, if that was the case, he wouldn't care about his sister and what not.

ZikenX

It's not totally wrong at all. In a WOI targert in Prototype 1 it is directly stated that the body of Alex Mercer was completely destroyed and the virus rebuilt his genetic structure from the ground up using his DNA. This could easily account for the virus retaining Alex's latent memories(ie. regarding his sister) and cognition. To me it never really mattered anyway because in the end Mercer is Mercer regardless of the form it takes.

Plus, to be honest that could just be said about Heller too then, because he has the virus, maybe the viruse thinks its just Heller? See, doesn't work that way.

ZikenX

I don't believe the same could be said of Heller. His mutations are a product of the virus introduced directly into Heller's body via the process in which Mercer creates his "evolved". We get to witness this first hand in the opening scenes of the game. At no point does the virus in it's raw form reconstruct the body of Heller, nor is his body destroyed.

I don't mean to sound like a troll or anything, but given the evidence I'm not sure I agree.
EDIT: Quoting issues, Gamespot doesn't seem to want to let me close the first tag.

#7 Posted by Majin72 (280 posts) -

The monologue at the end of the first game makes it out to sound like Mercer is going to try and clean up the mess the real Alex Mercer created when he released Blacklight, but further makes it sound like he's going to go after Pariah and the origin of the entire mess, as well.  Instead, Pariah isn't even dealt with except in two or three off-hand mentions toward the end of Prototype 2 and Alex has gone through a severe Face-Heel turn that completely throws his character off the rails, just to introduce a horrible black stereotype as a protagonist.

#8 Posted by thetrellan (53 posts) -

1) The nuke would've wiped out EVERYTHING, including him, if it detonated above land. Also alex doesnt want to wipe out the population in P2, he wants to make an army of evolved, cant do that if theyre all dead. 2) In P1 he thought he was alex mercer. He comes to find out that alex mercer died, and the virus just copied the freshly dead alex mercer, so when the virus "woke up" it believed it was alex. After finding this out towards the end of P1, along with how powerful he had become, its easy to see why he did a 180. (Although i really dont like it, since he went from being a complex character to the same old run of the mill "I want to take over the world" kind of villain. Yuk.) 3) the nuke detonation caused that from P1 4) that bloody mess wasnt from what alex beat up, that was alex splattered all over the place from the detonation of the nuke, and it grabbed a crow to regenerate.Spastic_Nutcase
Just a few things to say. First, what nuclear detonation? The one he PREVENTED? It goes off time and again, it's so hard to beat, but after finally getting past that part, it never happened. I've played over and over I don't know how many times, but only watched the cut scenes once, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Second, that bit about Mercer being copied by the virus makes no sense. If that were the case, wouldn't he have been controlled by the hive mind like Elizabeth Greene was? It sounds to me like that's what the virus WANTED him to believe. That moment where he says the knowledge felt liberating gave me just a little chill.

Third, if Mercer pulp could reconstitute Alex, isn't it possible that now there could be many reconstituted Mercers out there? This thing Heller defeated might just be a bad copy.

#9 Posted by thetrellan (53 posts) -
3) the nuke detonation caused that from P1Spastic_Nutcase
Really confused me when you said that. Mercer's been flying choppers almost the entire game, why would he be stupid enough to fly the nuke TOWARD Manhattan? Especially when we clearly see him fly it out to sea? No, it was Blackwatch or the army that destroyed Central Park and everything north of it.