From the "Zelda and Off-Topic Union," to the "Soul Caliber and Off-Topic Union," to all of the other well-thought-out unions that thirteen-year-old kids come up with as soon as they reach level six; users of this site have been plagued with these spam factories for over a decade. Here is just some food for thought:
- There is no such thing as a free lunch. Every waste of space needs to be paid for, and these funds come from those lovely ads that we see every time we load the homepage, and these funds could be better used by hiring another staff member, adding more features, or even cutting down on those blessed advertisements.
- The majority of unions peter out within a month and become completely stagnant.
- Noone likes the disapointment of opening the old gamespot inbox to read one's messages only to find if full of union invites and send-all union messages.
- Gamespot has no desire to fix the issues with unions. Remember SentinelRV's movement to fix the union system half a decade ago? Did Gamespot even pretend to take action, even if to appease Sentinel and keep his invaluable HeadCrab Union on the site? If the staff is so apathetic to allow their largest and most active union to slip between their fingers, why even support the things?
- Every post dumped into a terminally ill union forum is a post that could have contributed to it's respective Game Forum, where people really go to get information for games. If you have a question about Skyward Sword, are you going to visit the "Zelda Alliance and Off-Topic Union," :roll: or the Skyward Sword forum?