Since Mario Kart series is a big hit and here is my theory why it outsold every Xbox/Playstation sim racing?
The target audience differences:
- Kart racing:
- Any kind of gamers who want to have fun in gaming.
- Both males and females can enjoy it.
- Meant for all ages.
- Not necessary to love cars, motorsports, and racing games.
- No skills required from other sub-genre of racing games.
- Preferring to have combat racing.
- Sim racing:
- For Motorsport fans who wanted to virtually experience how real race cars feels like.
- Only car enthusiasts will enjoy it.
- The majority of sim racing fans are males.
- Currently, most sim racing fans' age groups range from 15 to 45.
- Requiring more skills compared to any other sub-genre of racing games.
- Preferring to have pure racing/realistic driving physics.