Ive been listening to a lot of ranters on the internet lately and reading up on blogs of gamespot readers and even industry journalists. The video games industry and its future is looking very grim right now. Ive been inspired to create a little blog post of my own. The following are the reasons that the game industry is headed down the tubes.
1. Multiplayer only is dooming this generations retro appeal. Multiplayer only lasts so long for a game. I can no longer unlock content for Conker: Live and Reloaded because the live servers for Xbox are no longer in service. There are countless games that are nearly useless due to this style of game SOCOMs are doomed to be Frisbees or beverage coasters as well as well as all the co-op only action games like RE5 and the Army of Two games. Even Dead Space 3 having a co-op mode spoils the game for many people. Some argue that you can just not play it but the fact that the mode is still there is like finding a hair in my food. Less and less single player emphasis is making gamers like myself and others lose interest in the hobby.
2. Corporate greed is sucking the life blood from the gamers. Thats right; all the major publishers are Shinras waiting to happen. Capcom is one of the worst along with EA and Ubisoft for charging you for content already on the disk literally cheating the consumer out of what they paid for like a criminal extortionist. Collectors editions too, are a scam. Games are expensive enough at 60 buck but now they want to give you an art book and some plastic trinkets that you dont need for 20-140 dollars more. Its insulting. Game Stop is a major perpetrator of corporate greed. By making deals with publishers to lock away content that should be available for everybody in order to increase new game sales and pre orders they made it to the very top of my list of most hated companies. Plus the fact that they wont give any of the profit of their used games to the original publishers is making publishers want to make it so their games cant be used by multiple people. Such a decision would make an entire generation of video game disks unplayable and worthless.
3. Video game journalists are likely on the take. Many intelligible well-spoken people who have an interest in the video games industry has at least a hint of suspicion that publishers pay journalists off to give their games favorable reviews whether it be money for ad space or sexual favors most of us know for a fact that its happening. What infuriates me is the way that these journalists pour salt on the wound by picking apart readers who speak out against it by using their words against them in an article and embarrassing them right before turning around and giving them a wise ass grin and blowing them a kiss (cough, Gameinformer, cough!).
4. Most developers play it to safe. What I mean here is that there are no original ideas outside the indy market anymore. Im sure you all know by now that every first person shooter since Call of Duty 4 is Call of Duty 4 with a different skin on it. I realize that people are tired of hearing the beat of this drum but damnit its true. Every other action game is Resident Evil 5 or Gears of War. I have no qualms with more of the same if its really good and spaced out over time but these days its ridiculous. Even beloved series are chucking what made them great for what works and what is popular (I was particularly disappointed in the newest Hitman entry). This mentality of the developers is outing their original fans for the new generation of 10 year old kids who like dubstep and Rihana. You know the type, little kids who call you a noob queer over the live games. Basically they need to revive the old genres that gamers had so much fun with a decade ago or take some risks making new ones.
5. Gaming legends are getting the broski reboot. Chris Redfield was once an intelligent guy who could solve mysteries and cleverly escape from horrifying creatures in Resident Evil but now he is a hulking meathead with infinite ammo high fiving his brehs after every headshot screaming PWNAGE!! at the top of his lungs. And the sad part is that he isnt the only one Dante and Laura Croft have also succumb to the 90s babyfication of modern culture. This is a disturbing trend that if left to continue will likely generate disturbing results (like Bayonetta with a Bieber hairdo).
In any case Im depressed by the direction that my life long hobby is headed right now but I can only vote with my wallet. The reason that the game makers can get away with this crap is because we, as consumers either dont care or feel like we have no choice and bite the bullet with our cash. Not me though. Im in a retro nirvana that I dont plan to leave until things start looking a little brighter. I am exclusively buying non online games on the internet through independent sellers and I am rediscovering nostalgic gems and playing great games I hadnt in the past. Its my way of holding on to my gaming hobby while sticking it to the man (even if it isnt enough to make him feel the prick).
Thank you for reading and special thanks to the following people:
AngryJoe and AlphaOmegaSin on Youtube
Johnsteed7 here on Gamespot
for the inspiration for this blog.