Following the example set by various other users, I decided i would do my own game of the year blog. This year has easily been the best year of gaming that i have ever experienced, beating out 2008 (which i actually found to be very average), and the legendary 1997. I am going to post 3 category's, Best games, Worst games, and i will also list the games i just missed but would still like to play. I wont be awarding any single game of the year, because i hate trying to choose stuff like that, all you need to know is, I either liked these games a lot, didn't like them all that much, or didn't play them :P
- Metal Gear Solid 4 - I have been a HUGE metal gear fan since the first metal gear solid game on the ps1 back in 97, ever since the end of each game has left you desperate for answers, and gasping for a sequel. MGS4 was tasked with tying up the many loose ends, and doing so in a way that satisfies the huge fan-base the series has gained over the years. MGS4 accomplished its mission, it also vastly improved the game-play, revolutionised story telling, and is for me, the perfect sequel, and the perfect finally.
- Burnout Paradise - The first burnout game i have ever enjoyed, ironically became one of my all time favorite games. The terms free-roam or sandbox can be applied to all aspects of the game, from the single player mission structure, to the online multiplayer, you are truly free to play as you wish. Its also worth mentioning the support this game has received from criterion in the form of DLC. The game is still receiving large updates, with much more on the way. I also got this game for my 21st birthday :D, as if it isn't memorable enough.
- Gears of War 2 - Highly anticipated sequel to gears of war did not disappoint. Throughout the development process, Dude Huge was very vocal about how the game was "Bigger, Better and more Badass". While the frequency that quote was delivered became a little unbearable, it is easily the best way to describe the improvements made to the game. The single player co-op is one of the best co-op experiences available, the horde mode is probably THE best co-op experience available.
- Grand Theft Auto 4 - Much like burnout, i hadn't really enjoyed the previous installments in the series. To me, GTA always represented big sandbox games with large open worlds, and i have played each installment simply to look in awe at what is achievable by modern developers. I had never really enjoyed the story mode, for various reasons, I also didn't like the way each game just added more and more "stuff" you could do. GTA4 takes the usual approach but instead of the usual "add more stuff" philosophy, they refine the game-play and integrate a story in a way that leaves you with a truly unique experience. Needless to say, i am quite excited for the upcoming expansion.
-Bionic Commando: Rearmed
- Spider-Man: Web of Shadows - This game is seriously broken. So so so repetitive, it just seems like they had a solid concept, and a few good ideas, but in the end decided to pad them out by repeating the same missions over and over. If your a fan of spiderman, i recommend ultimate spiderman (ps2, ngc, xbox)
- Dark Sector - Again....this game is broken. All i am going to say is just stay away
- Far Cry 2 - I know, i know. There are probably worse games out there, but you will see there are a lot of games i didn't get round to. There isn't anything in particular i want to call out in this game, i think this is defiantly an issue of preference. I just found the game to be very boring.
I decided it would be easier to just show you my lovefilm list. Here it is :Mirror's Edge
Prince of Persia
Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Alone in the Dark: Inferno
Call of Duty: World at War
Little Big Planet
So yea, i still have a lot of catching up to do, but still, what a great year :D.
Q1 next year should be a pretty good time, thanks to capcom. Bionic Commando, Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5. Id love to hear what you all think about this year, and i hope you all have a great Christmas :D