Wow. What an insane month-and-a-half it's been. The Christmas holidays flew by with me frenetically busying myself with heaps of coursework. But I still managed to find time to play Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Uncharted. Beyond amazing! After spending more time than expected watching DVD movies (I strongly recommend Spirited Away) and playing Wipeout Pulse on PSP, January arrived sooner than I expected. My month has been filled with exams and deadlines, so let's just skip to last Friday.
Burnout Paradise - Metalwork crumps, glass fragments into a million pieces and your eyes widen as you smash directly into a road side pillar. And seconds later, WWHHHRRRR, you're off again. That's how Burnout has always been and I'm very happy to say that the core gameplay that we've all come to love is still intact in Paradise. As you many of hear, freeburning in Paradise city can be a little disconcerting at first as finding events and learning the roads is completely new. For me personally I found it quite refreshing. I actually entered my first event completely by accident. I had planned to burn around the city for a while but with one simple press of the L2+R2 trigger and I was flung into a 'burning route' challenge. Single player might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the new online modes are crazy. Just pure brilliance. Whether it be taking on friends (online or off) with 'road rules', competing in races, player challenges or even just dicking around taking each other down, it's always fun! I highly recommend it. Racing game of year in my opinion (and it's only January :P ). If you'd like know more about Burnout Paradise try checking out Criterion Games' Crash FM podcast.
If the showing at E3 07 didn't confirm it, then the delays did. 2008 (or 20-0-GREIGHT) is sure to be a superb year for games. Here are some of my most anticipated games for 2008:
1. MGS4 - This is at the top of my list this year. With a Summer release planned, and the promise of an epic conclusion to the saga, I need MGS4 more than clean air.
2. Resistance 2 - Insomniac Games. All that needs to be said I think.
3. LittleBigPlanet - If it turns out to be as world-changing as it sounds this could be my favourite game of the year.
4. Killzone 2 - the PSP version was incredible. Great story, online multiplayer and gameplay that worked surprising well on the system. I'm optimistically hopefully for this one.
5. Rock Band - Played SingStar with family and friends in the holidays and that was a laugh, so this will surely split the Earth!
6. Haze - If it ever comes out... I'll play it.
7. Soul Calibur IV - Haven't played a Soul game in years. Can't wait to try it.
8. Ghostbusters - If this comes out... and its a good game, I'll be pleased. If this comes out... and it's a good Ghostbusters game I'll be totally buzzing!
"I'm gonna take back some of the things I've said about you, Egon" :lol:
*rubbing hands together in dubious anticipation* (or to keep warm in this cold English weather?) Lots of good games to look forward too then. I might think about picking up an Xbox 360 Elite with PGR4 and Halo 3 at some point in the year. PGR4 has got me gagging for a 360! Expect more from me in the near future. I've got some reviews coming and a blog or too. 2008 - unleash your mayhem...