That's not the case, 90% of the people you know isn't going to bother trying to copy a game. 8% of the people you know is going to try and copy a game and most likely will fail. The final 2% who is going to scour the internet for ways to get around from paying $49 will succeed. Game developers are targeting those 98% with copy protection; the other 2% is a lost cause.
With all due respect, we can all pull figures out of the air, and they will all be just as meaningless without solid data. Even if your figures were close to accurate, the copy protection would be aimed at the 8%, as according to you the other 90% wouldn't be trying to copy it anyway.
No the point is that copy protection is designed to keep honest people honest. If you make something hard enough to steal the avg person is not even going to bother with trying to get something free. The world is full of countless examples of this.
What's the point in trying to protect yourself from the 8%? Those people are hardcore and take it as a challenge to get around something.
Fact of the matter is there are not stats to support either side of this argument. With my examples though you can put them into play in real life. You prolly know people in your life who fit the descriptions I set.
[QUOTE="Krall"] It's like PC Hardware, it's something like 2-8% of total sales that go to high-end CPUs and GPUs. People always assume everyone is cutting edge with their hardware.
Maybe you should tell that to the developers, as they seem to be the ones making those assumptions. Personally, I'm more inclined to view the Steam survey as being more accurate as it is a cross-section of millions of users (including me, as I filled out the survey as well). Most market polls extrapolate figures from much lower numbers of individuals. I'm not saying it's completely representative of the PC community, and nor would any other poll. But it's a good place to start.
I haven't looked at those stats latley so I can't comment.