Shooting

#1 Posted by steve-oh0369 (25 posts) -
I'm completely disgusted by the shooting in 2k14. starting from 2k12.... if i put up a shot that was excellent release, no D, perfect distance, and perfect release, it was finding the bottom of the net. in 2k13, they strayed away from this a bit and made it so you would miss every once in a while from long range; but, i have to say....GOOD GOD has 2k14 really jacked with shooting percentage. I'm currently playing MyPlayer mode, and ya my dude sucks from the get go... but, honestly, what have i got to do to make the shot from my range that is as perfect as it can be? even layups that are wide open to the hoop with no defenders around are having a hard time finding the net. another thing that really irks me is the D. its WAY too sticky voming from the AI, and they can shake you up by just jogging to the hoop. left trigger used or not. whereas the D on my team is always casual and laid back, letting them hoist up shot after shot uncontested. and, somehow, our wide open shots clang off the rim again and again, yet the AI we are matched up against seem to effortlessly scoop the J. wtf? and passing.... good grief. the grey reticle under the player means the selected receiver of the pass; however, i find that MyPlayer tends to pass it to "whom he sees fit to", meaning whom he "thinks" is open and going to make the shot, resulting in a turnover. and numerous times i have had issues passing to somebody that's roughly 5 feet away on a fastbreak, overthrowing them and causing a turnover. or receiving a pass on a fastbreak.... the lag it gives in catching the pass from turning to get the ball from a dead forward sprint. smh. and sometimes it seems the AI has eyes all over, knowing exactly where i am passing the ball to even before my teammate does, turning to intercept and causing a turnover. last, and certainly not least, is the simulated play. MANY times i have put my team up by double digits with 2 mins left in the quarter, and watched the playout, just to see the opposite team (after giving up a big run, not calling a timeout) miraculously put themselves up by the amount my team was leading by effortlessly. shot after shot finds the net, and my team struggles to score even if only MyPlayer came out of the game. thoroughly upset by 2k14. i wasted my money purchasing this game. the only good thing that has come of it is the higher block shot chance; however, there are an insane amount of blocking fouls being handed out. dirk nowitzki standing down low with his hands up, not moving, to deter a shooter is a foul? kevin love, shooting the shot and getting almost tackled isnt tho. and j.j. barea can walk right up to me and stick me at the three point line, where i cant really move and he can strip the ball from me when its in my right hand behind me and hes on my left side ahead of me? idk how to play this game anymore, and im seriously reconsidering even being a fan of nba 2k anymore.
#2 Posted by bboykoolade (27 posts) -

I agree with you on the shooting difficulty. It has gotten alot harder. There are many times where im wide open for a 3pt shot and i have a perfect release but then i end up missing, or my lay ups miss also. they steal machanics are easier which is good because it forces people to pass the ball than for them to give it to one play to hog. the bad part is that its so easy to the point where me walking up the court and then the defender justing running up to be and tries to steal it once, actually happens often. at first when i played 2K14 i hated the shooting. I was so use to 2k13's shootings that seeing my players miss so much stressed me out. but when i kept playing 2k14 and got a little more used to it, I started liking it more. I guess they are really trying to make it seem more realistic as in, not all shots are perfect even if you're wide open cause that happens in the real nba too.

#3 Posted by erb41478 (25 posts) -
I agree with everything you are saying here, and I 'm having an issue getting assist. My teammate can be wide open but he will not shoot, he always goes in for the shot, which doesn't get it all the time. But if we have the ball the last few seconds and I pass it, they will miraculously hit a 3 and I will end up with 1 assist. I always get poor for the performance. I'm not sure what they did in this game but it was not good compared to 2K13. I kept saying I know I don't suck this bad at the game. Its annoying to get one bump on the leg and they call it a steal, but I can be swinging away and not hit the opponents ball once.
#4 Posted by Kenneth2k (25 posts) -
Actually NBA2k14 shooting is great. I too, have a hard time in shooting ,almost everytime. But do you think that a real NBA player will have 100% chance to shoot the ball even if he have the shooting form, distance, release well? . NBA2k14 is created to have a real like basketball experience. Try passing the ball to your teammates and when they pass it to you shoot it and it will have 80% chance to shoot. Some of your shots misses because the NBA2k14 AI's have a greater defense than the other generation of NBA2k. ACTUALLY THEY ANNOUNCED THAT NBA 2k14 WILL FOCUS ON DEFENSE. Do you really think that great shooters can shoot the ball 9 out of 10 ? -_- TRY PLAYING WITH YOUR TEAMMATES AND TRY TO BE A NBA PLAYER NOT A CONSOLE PLAYER. NBA2k14 IS CREATED FOR THAT . SO PLEASE RESPECT THE SPECS OF THE GAME :))
#5 Posted by Kenneth2k (25 posts) -
Actually NBA2k14 shooting is great. I too, have a hard time in shooting ,almost everytime. But do you think that a real NBA player will have 100% chance to shoot the ball even if he have the shooting form, distance, release well? . NBA2k14 is created to have a real like basketball experience. Try passing the ball to your teammates and when they pass it to you shoot it and it will have 80% chance to shoot. Some of your shots misses because the NBA2k14 AI's have a greater defense than the other generation of NBA2k. ACTUALLY THEY ANNOUNCED THAT NBA 2k14 WILL FOCUS ON DEFENSE. Do you really think that great shooters can shoot the ball 9 out of 10 ? -_- TRY PLAYING WITH YOUR TEAMMATES AND TRY TO BE A NBA PLAYER NOT A CONSOLE PLAYER. NBA2k14 IS CREATED FOR THAT . SO PLEASE RESPECT THE SPECS OF THE GAME :))
#6 Posted by Kenneth2k (25 posts) -
#7 Posted by CoreyMisterMan (579 posts) -

I think the issue is that TIMING TOO OFTEN MEANS NOTHING. Difficulty of a shot is already determined by skill rating (when my guy's ratings sucked, he rarely got an A+ shot selection, and I was always slightly early or late with timing). If you are good enough to have both an "Excellent" timing grade and "A+" shot selection, then your player should make the shot. I just played a game against the Pelicans where I set screens and had the PG pass me the ball for wide open spot-up shots, and had excellent timing & A+ ...only to miss badly all 4 times. My player didn't have the ice cubes over his head, nor was he tired. Why did I miss? Because an NBA player would miss 4 wide open 3 point shots in real life? I agree that 2K did this to make it "realistic"...but what's the point of having timing if it doesn't matter? It's like the game randomly makes you cold for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten pretty good. My player averages over 50 PPG. But it is annoying to miss wide open shots for no reason. And, ironically, my player always seems to toss up a brick as soon as the "on fire" icons pops up over his head.

Passing can be a joke. All too often, I will make a perfect pass and my teammate will miss an open layup, miss a dunk, or decide to wait for a defender to pick him up. It can be frustrating to try to get assists. I find that I mostly get them by passing to open 3 pt shooters, and not to anyone in the post or in transition.

Close games feel predetermined, and unpreventable. Because I do tend to score a lot, my teams score lots of points. So my games are either major blowouts OR close losses because the opponents can magically make 60% of their shots. Yes, the Pelicans just did this to me! Tyreke Evans turned into the love child of Michael Jordan and Ben Wallace...he hit 3's over close defense, zoomed past defenders for dunks, stole a ton of passes, blocked drives to the basket, stuck to my player like superglue if he took more than 2 steps with the ball. It was quite ridiculous. But I set screens, made some shots, forced fouls, and kept my team ahead by 1-3 points throughout the game. Then the AI decided that my teammates no longer wanted to pass me the ball in the last 3 minutes...and Tyreke put my team away.

TLDR: True, the game is made to be realistic. But shot timing should mean something...especially if you really are shooting a perfectly timed & wide open shot.