Good game, but you should go get the sequel ...

User Rating: 8.6 | Mortal Kombat: Shinken Kourin Densetsu SNES
I got MK hoping for what I loved about it from the arcade. I popped it into my SNES and found a good game but not the one I played in the arcades. This is a good fighter that I love to play but it just leaves much to be desired when compared to other versions of the game.

The graphics are really good for the SNES. They did a good job trying to replicate the look of the arcade version. The problem is that all the blood and gore has been removed and replaced with dull grey sweat. Fatalities don't have the same zing when they dont have the over the top gore of the arcade version.

The sound is the best part of the game. It sounds exactly like what I heard in the arcade, at least that is what I think. The announcer is the best part. He is a little creepy but provides a cool sound other than the lame anouncer of the Street Figher games.

The gameplay is where I was slightly disappointed. Although it is basically the same as the arcade, the fatalities have been altered to make them less gory and it just seems to lack that zing of the arcade version. Plus, compared to Street Fighter, this game doesn't have the same amount of depth. Each character has a only a few moves that differentiate them from the others, otherwise the play a lot the same. This isn't bad, but it isn't necessarily good.

Overall, this is a good game that is worth playing. I just wish it were more like the arcade version.