The game that got Congress fired up...

User Rating: 9.3 | Mortal Kombat: Shinken Kourin Densetsu GEN
back in the day I remember those 2 words that me and my friends enjoyed....FINISH HIM! Yes, for you young gamers who haven't played the first Mortal Kombat when it came out, here's a little story on what you missed. This was the game that got Congress fired up when it first came out for the arcade and almost shut down the video game industry as we know it, but boy oh boy was it worth it. Aside from the ramblings of the independent George Lieberman, this game wasn't as damaging to kids as they thought, its not like kids were fighting on the playground and a booming voice came down that yelled "FINISH HIM!" and fireballs came out from his hands and disintegrated the other kid. This game was more fun than gruesome in my opinion, so Lieberman is dead to me.

Anyway, I don't really like to explain the story of Mortal Kombat games, and as most people know, the story is almost irrelevant due to you waiting and waiting to get into the action.

The graphics for this game at its time were simply unbelieveable. The characters looked extremely life-like and made every fatality worth it. The environments were pretty well-designed too. The backgrounds were alright, and the environmental effect on the character for a finishing move were a nice touch, such as the classic uppercuting your opponent and then watching him/her fall to their doom on the spikes below and later got impaled. Also note that if you ever want to get the original, get the Genesis version, the SNES version had all the blood and fatalities cut out of it, friggin Congress...

The gameplay for this game is second to none. Combos are easy to execute as well as fatalities, making each bone-crunching hit more and more satisfying. Movements never seem to be too animated and its easy to jump and position yourself behind a foe.

Overall, this version is the best in my opinion. If you want the original, like I said, get this one, pass up the SNES version.