The best MK since "Deception".

User Rating: 9 | Mortal Kombat PS3
I've played the 2011 revival of "Mortal Kombat" for a only a few hours. And thanks to the PSN being down, my experience with it has been restricted to local play. However, I felt like expressing my first impression with Ed Boon's latest entry in his classic fighting series. First of all, I'll summarize this new "Mortal Kombat" with this description, it's an updated remix of the first three games. It's true. If nothing else, Boon and his team have brought back the 2D fighting mechanics, spruced up the graphics, and reintroduced 28 classic MK characters. It's a throwback to the original trilogy with faster combat, more brutal moves and tons of unlockables. Like 2004's "Mortal Kombat: Deception", this new game includes plenty of extra content alongside the main game. Forget the Krypt anyone? The obligatory music tracks and artwork are included, but so are extra skins and alternative fatalities. So needless to say, if you were one who complained about the barebones "Marvel Vs. Capcom 3", than you'll be pleased with this one.

Kudos to Warner Bros. Interactive (who bought the franchise from Midway) for allowing lead team designer Ed Boon to have the freedom to create an uncompromising MK experience. Boon and his team know thier fans like the back of their hand and have delivered an "everything but the kitchen sink" game. This is a "complete" Mortal Kombat game. Forget the lame violence of "Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe". This one has all the gore the series is known for. The introduction of powerful "X Ray" attacks (first shown in Sonny Chiba's motion picture "The Street Fighter") adds visual velocity to the fighting. And the storylines of each character are told with narration and some pretty cool comic book-like panels.

There are a number of game modes including tag team matches, story mode, the arcade ladder, training grounds, online play, and variations of "test your might" mini-games. And if have the PS3 version, Kratos is available from the get-go. He's not an overpowering character, but his "God of War 3" special attacks are mainly intact. Thankfully, he's not a slow moving character. Overall, I like the new updated MK alot. It's classic MK with tons of secrets to find. So, if you're a fan of the series, then you'll get a kick out of it. It's one of the best installments in the franchise.