Im wondering if they fixed this game

#1 Posted by MaverickAZ (117 posts) -

i skipped 12, and still have MLB 11 the show

my main complaints were:

CPU hits corners and gets the calls way too much with relative ease

Its almost impossible to pitch, even with elite pitchers. Seems pitches are too "random", where one pitch the end up here and the next same pitch, will be completely on the other side of the plate. I get that in real life, not everyone hits their spots, but to me it was just too random.

Its impossible to take walks., even if you work the count 3-0, 3-1, the CPU will then instantly hit a corner, then throw a pitch clearly way low and the ump will call you out. Super annoying, i dont know how many times ive looked at replays, where on NO Fu>CKING PLANET would the pitch ever be called a strike

i get that the umps are supposed to be a bit over the place, but still a pitch thrown 6 inches from the dirt should never be called a strike, yet in this game it is

#2 Posted by MaverickAZ (117 posts) -

i skipped 12, and still have MLB 11 the show

my main complaints were:

CPU hits corners and gets the calls way too much with relative ease

Its almost impossible to pitch, even with elite pitchers. Seems pitches are too "random", where one pitch the end up here and the next same pitch, will be completely on the other side of the plate. I get that in real life, not everyone hits their spots, but to me it was just too random.

Its impossible to take walks., even if you work the count 3-0, 3-1, the CPU will then instantly hit a corner, then throw a pitch clearly way low and the ump will call you out. Super annoying, i dont know how many times ive looked at replays, where on NO Fu>CKING PLANET would the pitch ever be called a strike

i get that the umps are supposed to be a bit over the place, but still a pitch thrown 6 inches from the dirt should never be called a strike, yet in this game it is

MaverickAZ
Also, another annoying aspect i found was that it was almost impossible to "fool" the CPU when pitching. You can go up there and fire 6 straight fastball, then throw a curveball down and away and CPU just instantly knows its coming and crushes it out of the park SOny's the show franchise loves to claim they are the more sim version of games, yet it is very unrealistic
#3 Posted by RoadStar1602 (122 posts) -
I agree with most of what you said here. The pitching accuracy is poor. Pitchers lose accuracy, velocity and movement as they get tired in real life. In The Show, they have no accuracy whatsoever. I had to turn my accuracy sliders all the way up to make the game playable at all. In real life Major League pitchers don't hit their spots every time, but they don't consistently miss the spot by 2 to 3 feet. That's what happens in The Show. If their accuracy was as poor as it's portrayed in The Show, pitchers would have no choice but to fire every pitch right down the middle and hope it ends up somewhere in the strike zone. That, of course, is not at all what they do. The catcher sets a target and more often than not they come pretty close to that target. That's why they are pros. I also agree with you about taking walks with the computer pitching. Even if the computer pitcher is wild and all over the place and you get up on him 3-0, he's going to fire 3 straight strikes almost every time (although I've never seen the ump start calling balls outside the zone as strikes as you say). He couldn't keep the ball in the zone to save his life until it was 3-0, now he can all of a sudden. This is computer cheating, and it's one of the things I hate most in video games. The computer cheats in other ways, too. If you have a huge lead, at some point the computer will start getting hits on everything you throw no matter what you do, until the game becomes close again. For example, yesterday I was up 6-0 at the end of 5. In the sixth inning my pitcher, who had been nearly flawless and pitched a shutout so far, suddenly couldn't get anyone out. His energy was fine, his confidence was high and his pitches were moving well and had good velocity, but they hit everything he threw and homered off him on an unhittable pitch. When it was 6-5 and the computer had shelled my starter and my reliever, the computer finally relented and started letting me get people out again. This is a cheap mechanic put into the game to try to make games more exciting by making them all relatively close games. It's like when you play some racing games and if you're ahead by a mile the computer drives faster until it catches you, but if you're way behind it slows down until you catch up. It's a remarkably stupid mechanic that ruins the gaming experience for me. Blowouts happen in baseball, just like in any other sport. It's ok. Let them happen. Don't try to make reality better. I've also noticed quite a few bugs in the game. I have MLB 12 on the Vita with the latest patch. It has frozen up on me a few times. Sometimes when I resume the game after suspending it, the buttons won't work anymore. That's happened a few times. I have no choice but to close the game and restart it, losing my progress. Once a game went to load, then it just black screened and nothing happened. I had to close and restart the game. Sometimes the announcers will say random and completely wrong things. Like once the announcer told me that my hitter had struck out three times already even though he hadn't struck out at all. Sometimes when it tells you someone needs to rest for a day and you tell it to substitute for that player, it will substitute the wrong player. It did that for 2 players for me yesterday. When it subbed in the new players I adjusted my lineup accordingly and when the game started I had completely different players than what the starting screen said I had. These kinds of bugs are inexcusable on a console. Unlike on a PC or Android tablet where varying hardware might cause some bugs to be overlooked, the console developers know exactly what hardware they are working with. All these sorts of bugs should have been ironed out before the game was released. And now that it's been almost a year that the game has been out and MLB 13 is about to be released, there are really no excuses for these bugs not to have been fixed.
#4 Posted by MaverickAZ (117 posts) -

I have to say, its refreshing to finally see someone on these boards almost reiterate the same things i stated. Way too often I, or someone else posts what i did, and the reply will be "NAH YOU JUST SUCK AT THE GAME"

ive won franchise championships on hard diff settings in past games, so i know what im talking about

I didn't mention it in my post, but i agree. Way too often ill be up 4-1, 5-0, with an elite pitcher like say a Strasburg, or Hamels, or Verlander, and be hitting spots and pitching really well

then all of the sudden, the CPU just starts laying off every pitch JUST off the plate like a gdamn robot, and then jacks pitches out of the park with relative ease. now its 5-4, or 5-5, or sometimes even they take the lead, just like that

Like i said, i skipped mlb 12, so maybe some of this stuff has finally been addressed. At the same time, im finding Road to the Show more enjoyable each year as a hitter, so you dont have to worry about the excessive flaws as much.

#5 Posted by KevinConklin (1620 posts) -

You can change the umpires calls if you are looking for location accuracy in Strikes and Balls.

Personally, I have never had trouble "fooling" the batters. Pitching 6 straight fastballs and then throwing a curve is NOT fooling the batter, it is helping them. Rather than repeatedly throwing the same speed and then changing up, jump back and forth with speed.

One strategy that works well in the first couple of innings is:

Pitch 1: Low inside (or outside) Change up (usually a called strike)

Pitch 2: Low inside (or outside) Change up or slider (usually fouled out of play)

Pitch 3: High and tight fastball, a hair out of the zone.

For me, that pitching strategy results in either a strike out or a pop up 9 times out of 10.

#6 Posted by KevinConklin (1620 posts) -

You can change the umpires calls if you are looking for location accuracy in Strikes and Balls.

Personally, I have never had trouble "fooling" the batters. Pitching 6 straight fastballs and then throwing a curve is NOT fooling the batter, it is helping them. Rather than repeatedly throwing the same speed and then changing up, jump back and forth with speed.

One strategy that works well in the first couple of innings is:

Pitch 1: Low inside (or outside) Change up (usually a called strike)

Pitch 2: Low inside (or outside) Change up or slider (usually fouled out of play)

Pitch 3: High and tight fastball, a hair out of the zone.

For me, that pitching strategy results in either a strike out or a pop up 9 times out of 10.

KevinConklin

However, not to say that there is nothing to fix in the game. Opposing pitchers can paint the corners WAY too frequently. And I play guess pitch off, and that whole "Timing = Perfect, Location = Just missed" is the most frustrating thing in the world. A hanging curve ball down the middle of the plate, with perfect timing and power swing, should NEVER "Just miss."

I have heard that they have made hitting a touch easier for all difficulties, so hopefully this will help.

Another pet peeve of mine is when you are playing the computer in a close game, say 2-1, and all of a sudden in the 9th inning pitches you throw nearly in the dirt are smacked back up the middle for doubles and homeruns. Ugh.

Again, hopefully some of this is changed. 

#7 Posted by wwefan4ever (625 posts) -

Basically your complaints come down to one thing, you suck at the game.

#8 Posted by RoadStar1602 (122 posts) -

Basically your complaints come down to one thing, you suck at the game.

wwefan4ever
Basically your comment boils down to the fact that you are a fat, ugly person who gets picked on and/or beat up and real life, so you feel the need to take it out on other people from the safety of your computer desk. I feel pity for you.
Avatar image for Deadman_est1982
#9 Posted by Deadman_est1982 (1188 posts) -

I've been pitching on Veteran using meter and I find even when I don't hit a perfect release it still goes around where I wanted it to.  I think this year in the 30 some games I've played that I've drawn the most walks.  The CPU will try and hit the corners but won't get the call.  So all in all I would say, yes, those have been improved upon.