Stronghold in the middle of an ocean - HELP

#1 Posted by angryfodder (20490 posts) -

I just wasted about 4 hours gameplay.  I spend hours finding and killing endermen to makes eyes so I can get to the end game.  I manage to make a load of eyes and start throwing them in the air.  I keep following them but it takes me into the sea....a long way into the sea.  Then, after 5-10 minutes of swimming it starts showing me the location of the stronghold.  MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN!!!

Anyway, I swam down, started digging, came to the surface for air...did this a couple of times and then I drowned!  I've lost all my gear and as its in the middle of an ocean, there is no way of finding it again (all the eyes were on me when I died.

So, what do I do!?  I was thinking I could place some blocks on the sea floor and build them up to the surface of the water.  Once I had a 3 x 3 grid I could dig safely in the core... but I can't seem to place blocks underwater for some reason?

I'll need to spend a few hours finding, killing and getting pearls of endermen - but there is little point if I can't get to the strong hold?

Thinking back, I MAY have dug though into the strong hold.  The reason I died is because as I swam to the surface, on the last trip I seemed to be going really slowly.  I'm thinking this could be because I dug through (it was dark so couldn't  see) and its created a water fall into the stronghold and I was in that current?

Anyway, any suggestions on how to get around this are most welcome!  Losing all your high level enchanted diamond gear and eyes of ender in the middle of the ocean is not fun.

#2 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

* I BETTER ADD THAT IT INCLUDES SPOILERS*

I just wasted about 4 hours gameplay. I spend hours finding and killing endermen to makes eyes so I can get to the end game. I manage to make a load of eyes and start throwing them in the air. I keep following them but it takes me into the sea....a long way into the sea. Then, after 5-10 minutes of swimming it starts showing me the location of the stronghold. MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN!!!

Anyway, I swam down, started digging, came to the surface for air...did this a couple of times and then I drowned! I've lost all my gear and as its in the middle of an ocean, there is no way of finding it again (all the eyes were on me when I died.

So, what do I do!? I was thinking I could place some blocks on the sea floor and build them up to the surface of the water. Once I had a 3 x 3 grid I could dig safely in the core... but I can't seem to place blocks underwater for some reason?

I'll need to spend a few hours finding, killing and getting pearls of endermen - but there is little point if I can't get to the strong hold?

Thinking back, I MAY have dug though into the strong hold. The reason I died is because as I swam to the surface, on the last trip I seemed to be going really slowly. I'm thinking this could be because I dug through (it was dark so couldn't see) and its created a water fall into the stronghold and I was in that current?

Anyway, any suggestions on how to get around this are most welcome! Losing all your high level enchanted diamond gear and eyes of ender in the middle of the ocean is not fun.

angryfodder

*SPOILER END*

You should have done that from the start. And usually you can place blocks also at the ocean ground, except you're standing in the place where they would appear, under water it feels a bit different so maybe you just have misguessed the right distance. Also, if there's anywhere a bit of higher land nearby you can put down sand and just let it sink down again and again until it's filled.