Mario returns once again to the race track, but will his game pass the finish line?

User Rating: 7.5 | Mario Kart Wii (w/ Racing Wheel) WII
Mario Kart Wii is the latest kart racer from the ever so popular Nintendo, so after 15 years, does this game's formula still work? I will break down this review in segments.

Gameplay: Well, you either love it or hate it. I know many who dislike it's overpowered items, but I know those who find it a fun, fast paced racer. The aim of the game is to come in first place, (What a shock!) while dodging an arsenal of bananas, shells, bullet bills and others. If you are a true fan of Mario, you would not be surprised. But it comes down to this: Is it playable? For some light-hearted gamers who aren't that competitive, it's a bargain. For the fierce gamers who thrive for 1st place, beware. This game is loaded with cheap weapons, so at the far back of the race, there will be a frenzy. At the top of the pack, you will have to be ready for the much dreaded blue shell. This is more for relaxed people, who don't mind losing. My opinion 7/10.

Characters: Mario was never known for groundbreaking character development. So I'm not going to be a jerk and rate this low. I'm going to rate it for what it is. Once again, it falls onto opinions. If you adore the Italian and his peculiar friends, that's great. Sure, they have only 2 lines each, but that's Mario for you. Enjoy it. My opinion 8/10.

Graphics: A bright color scheme, with somewhat detailed environments. Everything is acceptable, nicely done. I love the feeling of nostalgia as you pass through the Mushroom Kingdom. Very good for the 2008 era. 8/10.

Variety: What's better then a game is a game that has an extra lot of goodies after you've completed a lot of the game. Mario Kart has quite a bit of replay value. Need to practice that drift for that curve you could never overcome? Time trials is the place to go. You can race against Nintendo employees and upload your stats to the world there. When not racing against time, you can go online for the greatest race yet. Battle people from all over the world and increase your rank! Mario Kart Wii has quite good replay, especially if you want to go back and unlock the last couple of characters. 7/10.

Conclusion: Mario is great with friends, local and online. It might be a bit overpowered, but if a true fan, you might overcome these few bumps on the road and discover it's a great game. Overall 7.5/10.

I hoped this helps you with your decision.