Yippie! Reinforcing gender stereotypes is fun!

User Rating: 5 | Survival Kids: Chiisana Shima no Ookina Himitsu!? DS
Now, don't get me wrong, I've been a big fan of this series since the beginning. What's not to like? You can fight wild animals, survive on an island using only your wits!

But, by the third installment, I've gotten tired of the fact that the female characters always get the shaft, literally. Be forewarned, my bias here is strong because I don't consider it to be responsible for anyone to be reinforcing gender stereotypes in this day-and-age, it's just sloppy and offensive.

If you choose the female character, here are just a few of the things you CANNOT do in the game (in other words, these activities are locked to you):
-Fight wild animals (You can only dodge)
-Fish (She claims once you've made the fishing rod that she's useless with it)

Also, if you choose the male character, you'll notice that the female character can't reach high places, by virtue of being female.

I'm not going to rant forever about this, because, by now, the game company should know better. While, yes, it may be true that there are females in this world that don't like fishing or would enjoy beating up wild animals, I think it's safe to say that if you were a female lost on a desert island with no food, you'd get over the stereotypes that Konami seems to think are biological differences between men and women.

Lame, lame, lame. I'm taking back the game and getting a full refund, because I don't want to pat Konami on the back for taking a step backwards, and slapping female gamers in the face. If they want us female gamers to play their games, they've got to be a little more socially responsible for what they put out in the market.

I realize that this review certainly doesn't speak for all types of gamers out there, but I wanted to be honest about my reaction. I am REALLY hoping for some changes in the gaming industry in the ladies department.