An exceptional platforming game with outstanding physics and a great level editor, but that's it.

User Rating: 9 | LittleBigPlanet PS3
Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet is truly a great platforming game, but nowhere near as grande and must-have as the media hyped it to be like.

There doesn't seem to have much of a story in LBP which is a shame, because there really is a great framework for a truly fantastic story. You play as Sackboy, which is a little puppet and your job is to navigate through a series of brilliantly designed levels and use the game's amazing physics engine to your advantage.

VISUALS AND AUDIO

Graphics are colorful, childish and great. Everything is up to modern HD standards and immediately you can see how much attention the developers gave to details in this game. Music creates a light mood to gameplay, but still it has that own style and LBP is not trying to be a copycat for Nintendo's classic Mario games. Sound effects fit the action and the world just sounds right.

PHYSICS AND GAMEPLAY

Star of the actual gameplay are the physics. LBP is the first game since Half-Life 2 that puts some serious effort in taking a full advantage of game's physics. I've played games for so long that I needed to adjust my mindset in a way that I need to think like I do in a real world, when solving problems based on physics.

Gameplay is unfortunately pretty simple and straightforward: you just jump and move forward in 2D levels, which have a slight 3D aspect in them as well. Luckily the level design is good containing many hidden extras and bonuses just like a good platforming game should. Whole game can be played with up to 3 friends sitting in the same couch. Teamwork is essential, since an unco-operative team mate can easily kill others by moving forward too fast.

I'm not really sure about who is the target audience for LBP. Graphics, sound and simple gameplay are clearly for kids, but an extensive level editor and some challenging platforming bits are much more adult oriented. I must conclude that LBP seems to have been designed for adults, who still have that inner child in them.

LEVEL EDITOR AND NETWORK

LittleBigPlanet also contains a level editor, in which you can make your own levels and then distribute them via PlayStation Network for the whole world to see. It takes a lot of patience and time for you to create your own level and this means that only a handful of players will have what it takes to use all that the level editor offers. On the other hand this feature creates an infinite amount of user generated content and therefore there is basically no end for LBP.

LittleBigPlanet is a unique game that needs to be experienced, if you happen to own a PS3. On the other hand it's not a Messiah game that forces you to buy PS3, if you are not a fan of Sony.