01 - Roads

User Rating: 6 | Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 - Roads PC

After the interesting story, which was offered in LiS and semi-interesting story in BtS, I really thought that this is going to be at least on the same level as its predecessors, but, boy, was I wrong.

First off all, this episodic title is not all that bad. It has good music, better graphics and scenery. And, in this respect, it is at least above Life is Strange 1. But, that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Secondly, the whole episode felt like over-extended television episode. Don't get me wrong, it is the idea, but when, in my opinion, the majority of time is spent viewing the scenes instead of actually having to play them (be that with those dull quick-time-events even, but there weren't any), does your game really deserve to be called a game? I think, it is more deserving to be called a visual novel, then a game.

Thirdly, the game does not give the player a choice over important events. The game chooses the path for you. You, as the player, do not have any say regarding this what-so-ever. The only say you have in non-important things like whether or not to be a dick to your little brother. The really important choices, like whether or not to run away from the police, are made for you.

Fourth, you no longer control a character with supernatural abilities, like you did in LiS. Instead, you are just a side character being forced to escort a character with supernatural abilities, and being the said characters mentor in honing them. Who from DOTNOD thought it was such a good idea?

Fifth, the story is far fetched and shrouded in to the political realities of the real world, but made like its black and white only. The real world has a lot of grey areas, however, this is not depicted in the game. Half the people you meet are either racist dickheads or dickheads wanting reward money. And the only one who is decent, surprise surprise, is your token political anarchist (sorry, activist) not trusting the government agencies.

The score of six, in my opinion, is actually too generous for this game. But, out of respect for LiS 1, I shall leave it at that.