User Rating: 8.8 | Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana (PSOne Books) PS
Forget about the SNES Mana games, Legend of Mana is its own game, and, when you aren't busy comparing it to Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3, you could probably find a lot to like about the game. Legend of Mana's hand-drawn graphics will be the first thing to catch your eye. they look absolutely gorgeous, every background is incredibly detailed, the dungeons look fantastic, and while some of the monsters are generic, they still look great. I love fighting bosses who take up half of the screen! Mana's sound is also rock solid, with a lot of music that has a lighthearted tone to it, since this whole game isn't real dark. Where Legend of Mana really shines is it's incredibly depth. There are a ton of different weapons, all with a bunch of different attributes, and you can grow plants, make weapons, raise animals, and go on sidequests as well. In fact, the entire game is pretty much a string of sidequests. This is one of the reasons why some people hate the game, the fact that it doesn't have one central storyline. Personally, I really didn't care, because all the smaller "side stories" were all pretty interesting. Basically, if you're not expecting Legend of Mana to be exactly like Secret of Mana, then you will enjoy this game. Sure, it doesn't have 2 player support, but if you can get over that, and dive into the incredibly deep gameplay, you will love this game, the same way I love it.