A worthy follow-up to "Kirby: Triple Deluxe."

User Rating: 8 | Kirby: Planet Robobot 3DS

I'm going to admit, as much as I love "Kirby," this game wasn't initially on my radar when it came out. Sure, I enjoyed "Kirby: Triple Deluxe" a lot when I first played it, but by 2016, I was started to get out of playing handheld games (I was more into console games), so this game just happened to miss my radar. Recently, I decided to finally give it a shot since I had just beaten "Kirby: Triple Deluxe" after six years. And I must say, "Kirby: Planet Robobot" is about as good (if not slightly better) than "Kirby: Triple Deluxe" which, given that I very much liked that game, is a compliment in the case of this game.

"Kirby: Planet Robobot" works for a lot of the same reasons that "Triple Deluxe" worked: it's absolutely adorable, the visuals are crafted nicely, the soundtrack is bouncy, and yes, even in 2016, the 3D mechanic is utilized well in this game. I really wouldn't have been surprised if this game's 3D ended up feeling slapped on (or if the developers completely ignored the 3D), but here, it actually works nicely. The level design is also clever and the platforming is great, but what pushes this one above "Triple Deluxe" for me is the inclusion of the mech. It might seem like a minor thing, but it opens up a lot of new avenues for combat and exploration that are executed very well. There's still a lot to collect here, and the mech really adds to that, while also increasing the fun of the abilities.

In terms of the negatives...it's basically par for the course with what I'm about to say: the game is short, and it does feel like it's lacking much of a challenge. The "Kirby" series regularly suffers from these problems, it always just so happens that it largely makes up for them in other fun, charming ways. That said, they are flaws that I feel are still worth pointing out.

Overall, "Kirby: Planet Robobot" is another wonderful adventure in the "Kirby" franchise, and it's a worthy follow-up to "Kirby: Triple Deluxe." It's probably one of my personal favorite "Kirby" games, and if you're a 3DS owner that hasn't gotten to play it yet, do yourself a favor.

Final rating: 8 out of 10 "Great"