testing testing

#1 Posted by which_wich (189 posts) -

In the past few years, many apps for phones and tablets have been released that communicate with a game in some way. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, and Dead Rising 3 all have dedicated companion apps that aim to extend the game experience beyond the TV screen. Bungie, the developer of Destiny, is joining this trend and trying to make an app that's helpful and useful for players.

According to IGN, the mobile app will bring a wealth of character management options, including the ability to change armor in the app and have the game respond instantly. Your character is rendered in a 3D model in the app, as well. You will also be able to monitor your inventory and check out the loot you've acquired on missions. Vendors in Destiny's hub, the Tower, will also show up in the app, so you can see who is selling what.

The app also acts as a compendium of Destiny's lore. The Grimoire allows you to read about the characters, places, and events you come across during your playthrough of the game.

Destiny's companion app launches on iOS and Android when the game's closed beta test goes live this week for Playstation 4 and PlayStation 3, and next week for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. On iOS, only an iPhone version will be available during the beta, but when the game releases fully, the app will get an iPad version. It is compatible with all versions of the game, across Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4.

If you have a code, you can play Destiny's beta on PS4 and PS3 on July 17, and on Xbox 360 and Xbox One on July 23. According to recent rumors, the beta will include four story chapters and competitive multiplayer. The full game launches on September 9.

Gamespot: Seven Facts About Destiny You Might Have Missed

Destiny will never reach a final level of balance

"We have an evolving understanding of balance. In the past you might have characterized our idea of successful balance as getting it to the point where we could [stop working on the game] and it would be perfect. Nobody had to touch it anymore and it would just be a shining gem for all time. But the problem is, those games don't hold a community the same way as a living game like League of Legends or Dota 2. Those games can build these amazing communities around them because they're changing and evolving. There's a metagame that develops over time. The thing that was awesome before is not so awesome now. The thing that you didn't think about before is suddenly the best idea you ever had."

"That kind of dynamic balance where the game is ebbing and flowing, changing and circulating, we understand that and want more of that now. We want to build a game that's always exciting and entertaining, and not just exciting and entertaining because it achieved a final singularity point." - Tyson Green, lead investment designer

Everything in multiplayer is designed with a counter in mind

"We definitely believe that something can be powerful as long as there's a way to deal with it. That's a hard balance to strike, but that's the reason we play the game every single day. We're constantly looking at these things to make sure there's no one thing that's so extremely powerful that no one is ever going to deal with it."

"[For example], when you use your vertical movement modes, you're actually getting rid of your ability to be in combat for a short amount of time. So if you want to double-jump, if you want to glide, you're putting yourself in what we call weapon-down. You're making a tactical choice at that point. Like, I want to take the high road right now and get away from combat, but I can't just sit in the air and fire on people. That's now how it works." - Lars Bakken, lead multiplayer designer

You'll need to make lasting choices

"We're going in a little bit of a different direction from some of the recent RPGs where they really never asked the player to make any commitments. We want players to actually do some things that they may be locked into, at least for some period of time. Because we feel like that allows a person to actually make a different decision from another person and not just immediately copy the decision that's optimal. Everyone doesn't just go to a website and say, what's the best build? We're trying to give people the opportunity to distinguish themselves. Commitment is part of that. When nobody is committed to anything, nobody's distinct either." - Tyson Green, lead investment designer

Bungie was founded in 1991 with two simple goals:

• Develop kick ass games that combine state-of-the-art technology with uncompromising art, captivating storytelling, and deep gameplay.
    • Sell enough copies of those games to fund our ongoing quest for total World Domination.

Now located in bustling downtown Bellevue, Washington, Bungie has spent the last decade forging the Halo series into an award-winning global entertainment phenomenon. But our pedigree goes back further than Halo. Over the past twenty years we also created a bunch of other fun games, including the Marathon Trilogy and the first two Myth games, hailed as classics by critics, gamers, and our parents alike.

We were just getting warmed up.

Now we find ourselves at the beginning of a bold and ambitious new adventure. Armed with the best talent, state-of-the-art technology, and the finest community on the planet, we’re preparing to unleash our newest creation upon the world.

If you want to tell our story, that would be awesome - especially if you use the right assets. Just like superheroes and sports teams, we can be dangerously specific about the symbols people use to identify us. That's why we have places where you can grab everything you need to talk about Bungie, or our new game called Destiny.

In 1999, Bungie announced its next product, Halo, originally intended to be a TPS game for Windows and Macintosh. Halo's public unveiling occurred at the Macworld Expo 1999 keynote address by Apple's then-interim-CEO Steve Jobs (after a closed-door screening at E3 in 1999).

Coincidence? I think Nut!
Coincidence? I think Nut!

On June 19, 2000, soon after Halo's preview at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2000, Microsoft announced that it had acquired Bungie Software and that Bungie would become a part of the Microsoft Game Division under the name Bungie Studios. Halo would be developed as an exclusive, FPS title for the Xbox. The reasons for Bungie accepting Microsoft's offer were varied. Jones stated that "I don't remember the details exactly, it was all a blur. We'd been talking to people for years and years—before we even published Marathon, Activision made a serious offer. But the chance to work on Xbox—the chance to work with a company that took the games seriously. Before that we worried that we'd get bought by someone who just wanted Mac ports or didn't have a clue."

Martin O'Donell, who had joined Bungie as an employee only ten days before the merger was announced, remembers that the stability of the Xbox as a development platform was not the only benefit. Around the same time, it was discovered that Asian versions of Myth II could entirely erase a player's hard drive; the glitch led to a massive recall of the games right before they shipped,which cost Bungie nearly one million dollars. O'Donnell stated in a Bungie podcast that this recall created some financial uncertainty, although accepting the offer was not something "Bungie had to do." Seropian and Jones had refused to accept Microsoft's offer until the entire studio agreed to the buyout.

As a result of the buyout, the rights to Myth and Oni were transferred to Take-2 Interactive as part of the three-way deal between Microsoft, Bungie and Take-Two; most of the original Oni developers were able to continue working on Oni until its release in 2001. Halo: Combat Evolved, meanwhile, went on to become a critically acclaimed hit, selling more than 6.5 million copies,and becoming the Xbox's flagship franchise.

Halo's success led to Bungie creating two sequels. Halo 2 was released on November 9, 2004, making more than $125 million on release day and setting a record in the entertainment industry. Halo 3, the final installment in the original Halo trilogy, was released on September 25, 2007 and surpassed Halo 2's records, making $170 million in its first twenty-four hours of release.

Moo?
Moo?

Ghost Edition

Destiny's Ghost Edition is the premier Collector's content pack for Destiny.

This is your Ghost. It sought you out for centuries. It found you, dead and forgotten in the ruins of our civilization’s violent Collapse, and it brought you back to life to protect us all. Defend our home, drive back the forces of Darkness, find a way to awaken the Traveler, and Become Legend.

Contents

Limited Edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc, Ghost Replica, Letter of Introduction, Golden Age Relics, Guardian Folio, Arms and Armament Field Guide, Postcards from the Golden Age, Antique Star Chart, Expansion Pass and Digital Content

Ghost Replica:

This is your motion-sensing Ghost, featuring lights and audio from the game. May it lead you through the Darkness.

Limited Edition

Humanity has been searching the ruins of our Golden Age for Guardians – heroes capable of wielding Light as a weapon. You have just been found and given a vital mission: defend our home, drive back the forces of Darkness, find a way to awaken the Traveler, and Become Legend.

Contents

Limited Edition steelBook Case and Game Disc, Guardian Folio, Arms and Armament Field Guide, Postcards from the Golden Age, Antique Star Chart, Expansion Pass and Digital Content

Arms and Armament Field Guide:

Many believe the weapons and armor featured in this record are a myth. You will learn the truth.

Post Cards from the Golden Age:

Our worlds have been claimed by our enemies. Now, it’s time to take them back.

Antique Star Chart:

Explore the wild frontiers of our solar system. Discover all that we have lost.

Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:

A Unique Ghost Casing, an Exclusive Player Emblem and an Exclusive Player Ship Variant

Includes The Destiny Expansion Pass

Expand your Destiny adventure with brand new story missions, cooperative activities, competitive multiplayer arenas, and a wealth of all new weapons, armor, and gear to earn. The Destiny Expansion Pass includes Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below and Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves.

Be Brave

In The Dark Below, you'll discover an ancient tomb has been unsealed. Beneath the surface of the Moon, a dark god has answered centuries of prayer, and a dark army has risen. Explore the true depths of the Hellmouth. Stop the dark Hive ritual and survive.

You have talked about progression. How do you keep people coming back?

People love to build, and engage towards some aspirational purpose. It’s just fun. Sometimes you just have one of those days where you don’t feel like you did anything. Everything moved backwards. Nothing moved forward. It’s just fun to have an experience where you feel like you built something, you feel like you made some progress even if it’s in a piece of entertainment. I think that’s something that action games have often not really thought about or addressed or provided. That’s not a way in which you’d enjoy action games. I think the joy of action games comes from a very different place that’s more like snowboarding or driving or even chopping wood, if you’ve ever done that. There’s this joy of a physical activity done well. I think that’s why shooters exist. People just enjoy that flow.

But the two things can completely go together and that’s what we want to do. And so in the world of a great action game, we want to give people aspirational goals. In a world with Camelot at the center surrounded on all sides by the wilderness and mystery and adventure, that progression is really about how strong you are and where you can go, what you can do and ultimately which enemies you can conquer in that world. Our goal is to always have some aspiration that players can be pursuing. I had to play Halo 1 a million times – I wanted to but I had to as well, to understand where the game was? And that, by the way, is one of the reasons why they’re ultimately compelling. We’d go crazy if the game we’re playing weren’t good. But anyway, I played Halo a bunch of times and so did a lot of our fans, and it was a really enjoyable experience for them. But I think if there had been, back in Halo 1 for example, some kind of aspirational goal or something to build toward, something that maybe you could even just show your friend that you’d done, or maybe something that enabled you to go into some remote, dangerous, and more challenging part of the world, I think people would have enjoyed that even more.

So what progression means to me is both a power to see more and more dangerous places in the world and it’s also a social token that you can show your friend or you can bring it with into these hard places.

CREATE YOUR STORY, BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE. RISE UP TO GLORY, FULFILL YOUR DESTINY.
CREATE YOUR STORY, BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE. RISE UP TO GLORY, FULFILL YOUR DESTINY.
Thanks for viewing my hypethread...
Thanks for viewing my hypethread...

Well, there you have it. The game releases next month. Up until the end of creating this hype thread I was actually really indifferent to the game and didn’t really care much for it, but now not as hyped as I'd like to be, but I'm a little less "meh" and a bit more "hmm..." What are you thoughts?