Tremendous added value on PS3 for an already fantastic Vita game

User Rating: 10 | Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F PS3
Already gorgeous on PSVita, Project Diva F is no less on PS3. Sure, it's a bit harder to forgive some rough textures and the few bugs in Diva Room, but the gigantic leap compared to the PSP games makes it worthwile. The devs really gave their best in making the PVs. They were excellent on PSP, they're close to perfect on PSVita. Sadistic Music Factory, Flowery Battle of the Kagamines for example have such a strong identity that I never have enough of it. Similarly, the track list is wonderful. Nearly every single music is a surefire hit. Unhappy Refrain, Secret Police, World's End Dancehall or Remocon to cite a few, provide a immense pleasure. I just wonder how this NyaNya thing landed here, because I looks like noise an not music (the PV is really impressive though).

As for the gameplay, it's still a musical game in which you have to press the buttons in tempo, but there are a few new things in this iteration. An additional button appears to make the game even more challenging and tricky : it was the touchscreen on Vita but it's replace by the analog stick here. The Technical Zone is a limited number of buttons within a music that can reward precious percentage points if you make a perfect. Last but not least, you will trigger a special and more spectacular ending if you succeed during the Chance Time.

Even if it was already on PSP, the Diva Room returns in an enhanced form, thanks to the refined graphics and the touchscreen. More than reality TV, it becomes a sort of dating sim, and a pretty nice one for that matters. Every character has a friend level that goes up and down depending on your actions (presents, etc.). Miku and the others have somewhat limited base actions and you will have to spend your DP in some items to get more variety. I personally preferred the random event system that we had in Extend.

There's one last key-element : difficulty. I had the occasion to try the game during my stay in Japan, but the normal mode didn't last long. I'm really happy with the final product, because the challenge in hard mode has been almost perfectly set. In between 2nd and Extend, most songs put pressure without being discouraging. Unhappy Refrain, Remocon or Sadistic Factory are hard as hell, just like Rolling Girl and Uraomote Lovers were. It depends on the player though, newcomers will find a desirable challenge in normal mode, experts will welcome back the hellish extreme mode, of which I've cleared only 4 songs. In any case, bear in mind that you need be familiar with the songs to succeed, so it's a prerequisite to actually LIKE this style of J-pop. But when you do, it's one of the most delightful and addicting games ever.

The big thing with this PS3 version is that you have 6 additional songs (+13 outfits and random stuff) compared to the handheld version that already exceeded my wildest expectations (those later came in DLC for Vita). Those ones a really excellent and are a enormous added value, making the total number of songs close to 40. That is to say as much as in the PSP games, but the picks are greatly better imo.

More beautiful than ever, more addicting and richer, Project Diva f is concentrated fun like you seldom have.. The PSVita version was almost perfect as it was. Therefore, this PS3 version coming with greater value still is perfect.