One major problem with this game

#1 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -

This game is awesome and i'm really enjoying it but i have one major beef with it, and it doesn't effect me. My younger cousin who plays wow, swtor, starcraft and diablo 3 can't play gw2 because his gfx card is not up to snub. However, he's playing all those other mmos on decent settings with his gaming laptop.

If he can't play gw2, alot of people can't. And, that's going to hurt their player base. Not everyone is going to kick up $1000 or more to play a $50 game, no matter how good it is. It's defiintely a mistake on arenanets part to not include those with what would seem to be decent gaming systems, but aren't up to gw2 standards.

I'm running on a gtx680 custom built super computer so it doesn't affect me any. But I can't help but to feel alittle bad for my cousing and anyone else who is able to play other top mmos and pc games but are unable to run gw2. It's alittle strange honestly...

#2 Posted by nailfoot (2378 posts) -

This game is awesome and i'm really enjoying it but i have one major beef with it, and it doesn't effect me. My younger cousin who plays wow, swtor, starcraft and diablo 3 can't play gw2 because his gfx card is not up to snub. However, he's playing all those other mmos on decent settings with his gaming laptop.

If he can't play gw2, alot of people can't. And, that's going to hurt their player base. Not everyone is going to kick up $1000 or more to play a $50 game, no matter how good it is. It's defiintely a mistake on arenanets part to not include those with what would seem to be decent gaming systems, but aren't up to gw2 standards.

I'm running on a gtx680 custom built super computer so it doesn't affect me any. But I can't help but to feel alittle bad for my cousing and anyone else who is able to play other top mmos and pc games but are unable to run gw2. It's alittle strange honestly...

MikeFlavaz

What kind of video card does he have? If it isn't a laptop, a nice $75 video card will run this game fine.

#3 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -

That's the prob. it's a laptop. No changing that gfx card. and if you can, it probably costs as much as a new laptop. Not sure the card though.

#5 Posted by nailfoot (2378 posts) -

That's the prob. it's a laptop. No changing that gfx card. and if you can, it probably costs as much as a new laptop. Not sure the card though.

MikeFlavaz

While its true that a lot of people game on a laptop, ArenaNet has to find a balance between power and the potential audience.

#7 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -
His gaming laptop has a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset gfx card. Granted, I realize this isn't a good card and I'm guessing it's integrated into his motherboard. But he is running those other games such as D3, Wow and Swtor as I play with him online. I still think this game should be optimized to run with cards similar to this one. After all, regardless if arenanet feels they're in competition with other mmos/ pc games or not...they undoubtably are. And this will definitely affect the player base. It's just too bad I can't show the kid a good time in this cool game.
#8 Posted by billlabowski (91 posts) -

lol supercomputer? Really? :P

#9 Posted by VeIocity (25 posts) -

The minimum requirements for GW2 include a GeForce 7800 (which came out in 2005). I don't think its fair to say that the devs of GW2 should hold back people like myself who have 2xRadeon 6950 2GBs in crossfire when the minimum specs are as low as they are.

#10 Posted by TheGuardianX (141 posts) -
Of all graphic cards, the intel set should have been your last resort. They are not really good at running many games if at all. Sorry that your cousin can't play. But i have to agree with Velocity on this one. I think this game was announced a few years ago. Plenty of time to be prepared for the launch. Maybe the devs of GW2 will release an option for the low end graphics in the future
#12 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -

lol supercomputer? Really? :P

billlabowski
SUPERCOMPUTER! Faster than a speeding bullet! ; )
#13 Posted by cjlebron (159 posts) -

While I sympathize, it's not clear to me that any PC developer owes it to anyone to make sure their game runs on a wide range of machines. I think a flipside case could be made that given the fairly wide range of highly competent graphics card, ArenaNet could have made the game a better looking game than it is. It's decent looking but still not in a league with many other PC games. 

Second, it doesn't seem to me that the graphics demands are hurting them very much. They've sold 1 mill units right out the gate and they will surely sell many many more.

I don't say any of this to be indifferent to your cousin't inability to play the game. I just don't think that just because a game is technically an MMO, it needs to have low graphics requirements. I think too many of these games already look like each other on account of low requirements. Maybe the complaint here really is that it's not a well optimized game(?)

#14 Posted by cjlebron (159 posts) -

While I sympathize, it's not clear to me that any PC developer owes it to anyone to make sure their game runs on a wide range of machines. I think a flipside case could be made that given the fairly wide range of highly competent graphics card, ArenaNet could have made the game a better looking game than it is. It's decent looking but still not in a league with many other PC games. 

Second, it doesn't seem to me that the graphics demands are hurting them very much. They've sold 1 mill units right out the gate and they will surely sell many many more.

I don't say any of this to be indifferent to your cousin't inability to play the game. I just don't think that just because a game is technically an MMO, it needs to have low graphics requirements. I think too many of these games already look like each other on account of low requirements. Maybe the complaint here really is that it's not a well optimized game(?)

#15 Posted by cjlebron (159 posts) -

#16 Posted by PetJel (3725 posts) -

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

The gfxcard you mentioned is called  "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD" in that list and according to this list should technically not be able to play Diablo 3 and most other games. SC and WoW are so graphically simple it's not in the same league as GW2. And, once again according to the list, it should only play WoW acceptable on low settings at 35 fps.

I sympathize for people with older systems as I used to have one aswell, though you can't expect a card thàt budgety to run a game like this. I base all this on the list I found though. Sorry.

#17 Posted by Wyked (261 posts) -

i do feel bad for people who cant play, but this game really does not take much. i have a freind playing on an intel I5 processors built in video (no card at all in the computer) and it plays fine. just need to get up to date a little bit.

#19 Posted by esxcoe (25 posts) -

no you idiot

Avatar image for apocalypsehorse
#20 Posted by apocalypsehorse (417 posts) -

are you sure hecan't play it? I running an inspiron 1520 (which is fairly old non-gaming) and my laptop handles it just fine.

#21 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -

are you sure hecan't play it? I running an inspiron 1520 (which is fairly old non-gaming) and my laptop handles it just fine.

apocalypsehorse
Yes I'm sure. It even checks out with other treads. It is below the minimum requirements and while apparently some systems below those requirements can handle the game (as I've read), his system can't. The kid just got a new asus i7 gaming laptop with a gtx 660m powering it. I suppose this is all a play by arenanet to get kids an early xmas gift.
#22 Posted by MikeFlavaz (188 posts) -

cjlebron
I agree with you in principle however,the kid plays D3, Wow and SWtor. He should be able to handle gw2. And my main vent was concerning the kids that are playing these sorts of games already and buy gw2 only to find out that they can't play it. But also I just find it strange that as I realize gw2 has it's own player base...you would think they would push to get more of a player base especially because there's no monthly fees and you know that this game costs more to maintain than the original title.
#23 Posted by mpeg3s (917 posts) -

You need a Graphics GPU chipset or a NEW IGPU,

IGPU is intergrated graphics. Either AMD or Intel will work as long is it's the lastest chipset.

Note, the IGPU should work with 720p or less at low/medium settings.

Either way he needs a new PC.

#24 Posted by Evilab7 (25 posts) -

he can play WoW even though he doesnt have an amazing card because wow is generally an old game and they do not update their graphics, his card is entirely bad and i dont know why it doesnt run, i'm not sure but i think it would run ok, and the devs did a pretty good job because the minimum requirment is pretty low or an mmo that just came out, i have a friend who runs the game ok with just a bit higher than minimum requirments

#25 Posted by PsYcNeT (25 posts) -

Really..people expect to play modern games with what is essentially a $0 video card. Onboard (intel chipset HD) video is nearly useless for gaming, and unless you have an i5/i7 with the newest onboard, you are going to fall behind the gaming curve very quickly.

#26 Posted by wildbloodx (25 posts) -
My wife uses a Intel Quad Core with a 550 Ti and 6 MG of Ram (1600) and the game looks great on her system. I can tell you the video card is the best thing in that computer, and that GPU is under a hundered on Amazon. I think Arenanet has done a fine job with this title. But that is the problem with laptops, lack of upgrading. Have him put together a desktop for gaming or just by a new laptop for about $800