Guild wars 2 from a guild wars 1 perspective

#1 Posted by biggye (25 posts) -

I played the original guild wars for a couple of years and then later switch to WoW. 

I thought I was done with mmos but GW2 is looking rather appealing. I was woundering if there is anyone around that could give me their two cents that played gw2 and all the original guild wars.

Is it all just hype that will die down. Or is it everything they said it was going to be.....back when night fall came out

#2 Posted by DABhand (171 posts) -
Difficult to answer that everyone's expectations are different. Most GW1 long term players will like its still tyria and all the old favourite races are there including a new one. But the system is totally different. Only story mode areas are instanced and of course dungeons, so the old days of running around in your instance outside towns is gone. Also the max level is 80, but if you travel to a 1-15 area at 80 your level is brought down to immediate avg level of npc's around that area, this is obviously to stop easy farming and people still questing there can still kill things without having to wait for the farmer to bugger off. There is now crafting, you can have 2 crafting professions and the mats can be shared between characters, you can essentially collect all the mats from the beginning by buying the 3 collection tools and equiping them, another nice thing is you can level the professions from level 1 up to max level there is no level restriction, which is handy as professions give XP when making things. There is a few negatives, my review touches that, had to drop my score from 8.5 to 6.0 after their credit card saving fiasco lately and the poor support service (I know its early days but they have not got a good system and people are being missed completely in the ticket system).
#3 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
[QUOTE="DABhand"] There is a few negatives, my review touches that, had to drop my score from 8.5 to 6.0 after their credit card saving fiasco lately and the poor support service (I know its early days but they have not got a good system and people are being missed completely in the ticket system).

Seems a bit harsh of a score penalty...
#4 Posted by DABhand (171 posts) -
Normally I would agree Baselord, but from my experience of trying to get help from them, and then seeing the other horror stories and the constant patching (some may see this as a positive but it can be negative) from the silly mistakes they make, it does ruin the fun and im not going to score the game based on future projections that most who scored it 10 have done, I have basing it on my current experience, I will obviously change that if my experience gets worse or better then the score will change to suit.
#5 Posted by Laguniroth (50 posts) -

I've had nothing but quick responses from ANET, and I've had several issues.. It is actually quite a refreshing change from the game I just came from playing~ It will remain nameless but the company that runs it is Nexon. Let's just say they are STILL sending me "we're looking into it" email spam for an issue I had a YEAR ago. Their account database has been hacked on at least TWO occasions, and they wouldn't even admit it the second time. Also, glitches and bugs go for months on their "known issues" list, without ever being fixed because they honestly don't give a damn unless it's cash shop related. ANET and GW 2 may not be perfect, but if this is terrible, well I've yet to see anyone really be better... So I guess that means everyone is terrible.

#6 Posted by Link2Kev (88 posts) -

I played the original guild wars for a couple of years and then later switch to WoW. 

I thought I was done with mmos but GW2 is looking rather appealing. I was woundering if there is anyone around that could give me their two cents that played gw2 and all the original guild wars.

Is it all just hype that will die down. Or is it everything they said it was going to be.....back when night fall came out

biggye
I played GW1 for 6 years. GW2 is everything I could have wanted in a game. I love it! It is different from GW1 but I feel the changes went in a great direction for the most part.
#7 Posted by thankqwerty (142 posts) -

Apart from the names of the places, races, some skills, there's nothing similar between GW1 and GW2.

GW2 is a big step toward contemporary MMORPG (from GW1) in terms of gameplay.

The most attractive element in GW1 is the skill system that gives you almost infinitely many skill combinations for solo, 2,4, 8 men team builds. The system allows the players to be creativity in coming up with new team design and gameplay style.

As a veteran GW1 player there's not much GW2 stands out from the other MMORPG, it is just like every other piece of junk. At best it's a slightly better piece of junk.