No longer excited, will Rockstar adapt with the times?

#1 Posted by venasque (373 posts) -

I was very excited for this time.  I remember playing the heck out of GTA 4 and I absolutely loved Red Dead Redemption.  Recently I went back to play the GTA 4 DLC and boy was that a mistake.  The game hasn't aged well.  I won't complain about the graphics or anything like that, but the controls are horrible.  Tired to complete the helicopter mission in TBOGT and after 12 failures I just gave up.  I might not even go back to the game. 

I don't understand it.  The controls for the helicopter are garbage.  I don't get how they wouldn't have come up in playtesting.  Wouldn't they be able to see players struggling to get that machine to do what they want and think it was time to go back to the drawing board?  Of course they are probably the exact same as GTA 4, which again I said I loved, but at this point I'm just not having any fun with the game and now I'm concerned that when GTA 5 will feel the same; outdated and clumsy. 

I wonder if I loved RDR so much cuz there were no helicopters and in general areas were more open so the bad controls weren't as noticeable.  I wonder if I would still love it going back to it now.  I'm kinda afraid to find out.

Flying a helicopter that has a machine gun and shoots rockets should feel empowering and be fun.  I shouldn't wish the damn level was over.  I shouldn't feel like playing a game is work I need to suffer through. 

I'm going to wait on GTA 5.  See what reviews have to say before I make a buying decision.  I'd like to think Rockstar will make improvements going forward but I'm no convinced.  If they couldn't see the flaws in GTA 4 will they be able to in the next installment?

#3 Posted by Mink (1793 posts) -
I was a beast with the helicopter, I flew through the streets just for the heck of it, turning around corners low to the ground, never touch a building, some people just got to practice. I remember a multiplayer session, I was standing on the beach dude was trying to kill me and wrecked the copper and died. I couldn't even comprehend how you could mess up that bad, it's practice. There is never any need for any Anti Rockstar games talk, everything that team does turns out amazing. They don't have to adapt to the times because they lead, no one sets the bar on a console but Rockstar. I love Halo, had em all, since the beginning, got Halo 4, beat it, don't remember it. But I remember every GTA fondly. This one won't be different. A Rockstar title will be enjoyable, it's just where we are. I can care about other titles but I'm going to be giving Rockstar $150 for their top edition come september, I wouldn't do that for any other company. Just their games.
#5 Posted by Pewbert (449 posts) -

So basically you want Rockstar to "adapt with the times" because you couldn't do the helicopter mission in TBOGT.

Amazing.

#6 Posted by jonwhitley154 (25 posts) -
you are an idiot!!! for one thing people will be flying jets and planes way more than chopers in gta5, and you probably couldnt beat the mission because you suck at gta 5. To base your analysis of a game thats not even out yet over the previous game is domb especially when just about everyone already knows that gta 5 will be a completely overhauled much better version of gta 4... it incorperates the best things from RDR, GTA4, GTASA, and MP3... Plus it will have the biggest map on ps3 more than likely (including underwater)
#7 Posted by Slipstream720 (287 posts) -

So basically you want Rockstar to "adapt with the times" because you couldn't do the helicopter mission in TBOGT.

Amazing.

Pewbert

/thread

#8 Posted by Foppe (5990 posts) -
So you want Rockstar to include a automatic win button for people that got no game skills?
#9 Posted by Mink (1793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pewbert"]

Amazing.

Slipstream720

/thread

#10 Posted by venasque (373 posts) -

gta 5 will be a completely overhauled much better version of gta 4jonwhitley154

As I said, that is what I am hoping they will do.  It's too early to know for sure, so instead of being uber excited, I am cautiously interested.  Playing a game from five years ago has driven home (see what I did there? ;)  ) to me that gameplay has changed and while I LOVED the game in 2008 (something many of you seemed to have overlooked) it wasn't as fun to play in 2013.  Some gameplay design decisions just aren't fun and I am really hoping that Rockstar has realized that is all.

I get that you guys are big fans but wow, what is with all the anger and insults?  Why not have an actual discussion about GTA5 rather than spew forth hatred?  Only person that did was Mink (at least in their first post). 

:(