The pulp fiction of GTA

User Rating: 9.5 | Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PS2
The short of my review is that I have only played the game for 5 hours, and that I loved every second. And if any one tells you that is game is not worth it… don’t believe them, they are mean people to tell you such lies. The longer version is this: The greatest facet in GTA and Vice City was not really the characters or the story, but the carnage. All the drama paled in comparison to having 4 cop cars chase after you in a high speed mad rally cap dash across the city. I even go so far as to say that Rockstar knew this and gave both titles lackluster finishes as compared to the beginnings of the games. They may have even thought that more then half of their audience will never try to see it so why bother. Every GTA mission i found my self giving up, laying waste to the city and ending up in a ditch. (i did finish the games after one hell of a long time though) San Andreas has all of these random acts of violence (of course) but the characters and story are truly a lot of fun. Most of the core characters seem one or two-dimensional at first but are quickly fleshed out. This story telling aspect is truly where San Andreas shines for me especially over the first two (four?) games in the series. The fact that I have almost exclusively played mission after mission and do not tend to go crazy bonkos says a lot about the overall polish of the game. The point of my review. For the 3 of you out there who own either GTA or Vice City and think "I don’t really need to get San Andreas", you are wrong...you do.