Riverdale Season 3 Spoilers: Another Musical, Archie On Trial, Serpent Queen Betty, And More
By Chris E. Hayner | @ChrisHayner on
This story is about a town. It was a quiet town, once upon a time. But then a dad killed his son, and it hasn't been remotely quiet since. The second season of Riverdale saw the mafia move in, a contentious mayoral race--and a student body president one, as well--a serial killer in a hood, the introduction of a cult, and whatever the heck Chic Cooper was.
Now, with Season 3 looming, Riverdale is appropriately dramatic. Archie (KJ Apa) is on trial for a murder he didn't commit, but his repeated terrible choices certainly led him to this point. Veronica (Camila Mendes) and her father Hiram (Mark Consuelos) are at war in a way only the richest people can be, which leaves them stealing real estate from one another.
Of course, there will still be plenty of new and horrifying elements introduced in Season 3, including a deeper dive into The Farm--the cult Polly Cooper (Tiera Skovbye) joined--and plenty of romantic turmoil.
Armed with an array of spoilers, the cast of Riverdale and showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa headed to San Diego Comic-Con to share what they could with fans during a Hall H panel. GameSpot was in the room as Apa, Mendes, Cole Sprouse (Jughead), Lili Reinhart (Betty), and the rest of the Riverdale gang teased what was to come in Season 3.
Take a look at all of the teases and spoilers they dropped in the panel, then sound off in the comments with your own hopes about Season 3! Riverdale returns to The CW on Wednesday, October 10.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 2
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 3
- Best Marvel Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- All The Miserable, Discarded Electric Scooters We Saw At Comic-Con 2018
- The Rarest And Most Shockingly Expensive Funko Pops On Sale At Comic-Con 2018
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- Taco Bell Built Its Demolition Man Restaurant At Comic-Con, And It Was Amazing
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix's Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What's Up With The "F*** Batman" Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix's Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening's New Show
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts
- Venom Debuts New Footage, Teases Spider-Man Crossover
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Is "Not OK" With James Gunn Firing
- Fantastic Beasts 2 Footage Introduces Nicolas Flamel At Comic-Con 2018
- The Lego Movie 2 Comic-Con Footage Shows The Two Sides Of Chris Pratt
- The New Godzilla: King Of The Monsters Trailer Is Dope
- Shazam Trailer Makes Exclusive Debut
- Wonder Woman 1984 Panel Addresses The Chris Pine Question, Shows Footage
- Aquaman Trailer Finally Arrives, Exclusive Footage Shows Classic Costume
- Star Wars Figures From Sideshow Look Incredible
- Why Alita: Battle Angel's Eyes Are So Big, Trailer Coming Soon
- The Purge TV Show Trailer Teases A Night Of Mayhem
- DC's The Flash Season 5 Trailer Reveals New Villain
- Supergirl Season 4 Trailer Reveals New Suit
- DC's Legends Of Tomorrow Season 4 Airs This Fall
- Sideshow's Avengers: Infinity War And Black Panther Figures Are Amazing
- Vikings Season 5B Trailer Shows A Bloody War Between Ivar And Lagertha
- The Flash Season 5 Spoilers: Cicada, Nora West-Allen, A New Wells, And More
- Arrow Season 7: Every Tease And Spoiler We Learned At SDCC
The kids are finally going to school.
With all the drama, murder, and mafia business going on, it's rare that we actually see the teens of Riverdale going to class. That's going to change this season, though. "Starting in Season 3, we take place 3 months after Season 2 left off," Lili Reinhart revealed at the show's Comic-Con panel. "They've gone through their summer and are about to go back to school."
As Aguirre-Sacasa explains, junior year is when high schoolers start thinking about college. It will be no different for this group. Well, it'll probably be a little bit different. This is Riverdale, after all.
Betty and Jughead's relationship is shockingly drama free.
"Right now I think they are rock solid," Reinhart said of Betty and her boyfriend. This season will also see them getting back to investigative pursuits, which is what brought them together in the first place.
Betty is enjoying her place at the top of the Southside Serpents food chain.
With Jughead now officially leader the serpents, that makes Betty the gang's queen… right? She certainly thinks so, as Reinhart teased, "At the beginning of the season, you'll see her own that title."
Archie and Veronica may be headed toward a breakup.
Not all high school relationships last--especially those that include mafia drama and a murder case. That might lead to Veronica and Archie going separate ways in Season 3. "I think they're going to run into some problems," Mendes said.
And she's rebounding with who?
According to Aguirre-Sacasa, Reggie (Charles Melton) will end up in an unlikely relationship in Season 3. In the same breath, he also mentioned the teen will work at Veronica's speakeasy--yes, she's a teenager with a speakeasy. Riverdale is weird.
A quick connecting-of-the-dots certainly points to Veronica being the one Reggie winds up attached to, which is certainly unexpected. Best of luck to those two dramatic kids.
Finally, Jughead's mom and sister are coming home.
They've been talked about regularly since Season 1, but Season 3 will finally see Gladys and Jellybean Jones, Jughead's mom and sister, respectively, return to Riverdale. No casting had been announced, but they'll appear later in the season.
Alice is getting very close with Polly's cult.
As seen in the Season 3 trailer, Alice (Madchen Amick) is integrating herself into The Farm--the cult Polly has taken up with. In the trailer, the two are taking part in some kind of ritual with Polly's twins. It's deeply disturbing and will surely only get weirder when the series introduces Edgar Evernever, the group's leader.
It's up to Jughead and FP to keep the peace.
After Hiram enlisted the Ghoulies in Season 2 to help control the Southside, tensions will be high in Season 3. According to Aguirre-Sacasa, it'll be up to Jughead and FP to keep the peace between the Serpents and the Ghoulies, which should be interesting given the elder Jones retired from his gang affiliation.
They'll have help, though.
While it's not clear exactly how they'll work together, it was teased during the panel that FP will recruit former sheriff Tom Keller to help him keep Riverdale safe.
Hermione Lodge is looking for some balance in her marriage.
Hiram has seemingly been running both his family and marriage like the mob boss he is. Now, however, he's not the only one with some power. At the end of Season 2, Hermione (Marisol Nichols) was elected mayor of Riverdale. "I think Hermione is happy to have a little [mayoral] power of her own, and I think she's going to use that power to change how her marriage has been the last season," the actress revealed.
Hiram is focused on messing with his daughter.
While Hermione is looking for a balance of power, Hiram's attention is focused elsewhere. He's spending time "being a thorn in his daughter's side," Consuelos hinted. Perhaps she'll have some troubles with her new business venture.
Jughead will eat a lot more, if you're into that sort of thing.
In the comics, Jughead is constantly eating. Hamburgers are clearly his favorite food, but he will eat just about anything given to him. On the show, though, there's not been a lot of time for Jug to chow down. However, according to Sprouse, that will change in Season 3. Get ready for Jughead to do something about his constant hunger.
Parents find love too.
After finding out her husband is a psychopathic serial killer, you'd think Alice would take a break from dating. However, the cast and showrunner tease that she may quickly be finding love with FP Jones. It should be suitably awkward, given that their kids are dating.
Friendship will be at the center of the show again.
Above all, Riverdale is about the "core four"--Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead--and the friendships they have. Season 2 lost that thread quite a bit, though, with the Black Hood, Archie being a terrible mobster, and any number of other problems happening in the town. However, Aguirre-Sacasa said that this season will see Betty and Veronica spending some time strengthening their bond, as will Archie and Jughead. "We're going to focus on the friendships," he said.
And yes, there will be another musical.
When will it happen? What will it be about? Will they actually convince Cole Sprouse to sing? There are no answers to any of that, but Aguirre-Sacasa confirms that there will be another musical episode. Also, let's be honest, Cole Sprouse definitely won't sing in it.