How to beat Doom Eternal on Nightmare, without really trying.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Frag_Maniac
Member since 2005 • 2096 Posts

This is going to be a video/discussion thread on how to beat Doom Eternal on Nightmare without a lot of acrobatics and multiple quick switching of weapons. I'm sure a lot of you may have seen such feats by expert players, but I am here to show and tell you that it can be done without them. I happen to be 62, and lack the reflexes and dexterity to do such things. At most you'll see me use a tap of the weapon wheel button to swap back and forth between the last 2 equipped weapons for enemies like the Marauder, but I can't do it nearly as fast as some.

This game is as much about what weapons to use, timing use of the equipment launcher, and knowing when to duck and run to find or make health, armor, and ammo via caches, glory kills, belch, and chainsaw. Knowing how to use the terrain, monkey bars, jump pads, and portals is key as well. I'll be posting the vids in sets of 4 videos, each covering a whole mission. The last post will be just the final 13th mission, which may even be posted as 2 or 3 videos since the final boss fight can take a while for us average players whom lack the aforementioned elite skills.

The first mission Hell on Earth was a bit frustrating as I couldn't come anywhere near my hopeful (but a bit unrealistic I found) goal of making the milestone for doing it in under 11 min. Exultia is a level I love just for the awesome look of it and great ambient music that accompanies it, though it's Slayer Gate is to be taken seriously. Cultist Base is one of the longest and hardest missions on Nightmare because it covers a lot of ground and comes before you have very many suit or weapon upgrades, or heavy weapons. It also has an extremely tough Slayer Gate.

Finally, the 4th mission Doom Hunter Base I used to feel was fairly hard just due to the boss fight at the end where you have to tackle not just 1, but 3 Doom Hunters, the last two being active simultaneously in the same battle. That said, it's become one of my favorite missions. It has some nice steampunk elements to it, offers many places to do some great aerial platforming shortcuts that I found are not in fact too hard, has no Secret Encounter or Slayer Gate battles to worry about, and if you have the plasma rifle fully upgraded, or better yet mastered, it can take Doom Hunters off their sleds pretty fast.

If anyone has any comments, wants to share notes on tactics, or questions, especially on things like platforming shortcuts, as I feel many mistakenly think the aerial platforming is too hard, feel free to participate. You may be surprised how just a little bit of timing makes a world of difference.

Play these on the 1440p setting (not Auto), for best results.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Can't really contribute but I like the idea of this thread for those investing in the game.

Break down, easy to digest details, and open to discuss tactic/ exploits in a reasonable manner with videos to show rather than tell.

Probably would have suited better in a gamefaqs board/ or guide but in spring/ summer the traffic is all shitposting.

*If you ask me a Moderator should consider pinning this in GD. D00M: Eternal is a pretty popular game in 2020, and from what I read a lot who are struggling would find this thread very useful.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Frag_Maniac

@RSM-HQ said:

Can't really contribute but I like the idea of this thread for those investing in the game.

Break down, easy to digest details, and open to discuss tactic/ exploits in a reasonable manner with videos to show rather than tell.

Thanks, but the primary reason I posted it here is the Doom Eternal forum is dead with only ONE thread in it. So please don't suggest anything to mods. I don't even see any sense to their necro policy. They just told me if a thread is without comments for a mere week, you're necroing if you post in it. You'd think someone allowed to moderate gaming forums would know summer time is slow for forums like this because it's the gaming industry hiatus months.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Moving to the Youtube forum.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts
@Frag_Maniac said:

Thanks, but the primary reason I posted it here is the Doom Eternal forum is dead with only ONE thread in it. So please don't suggest anything to mods.

Oh is it really that bad? Usually over on the Monster Hunter board and it's pretty active, didn't know the D00M community was so dead on GFAQ.

I don't even see any sense to their necro policy.

I think it's because a lot of ones that get bumped are by users answering questions to OPs that already had the thread answered; and in fact de-activated the account as well after the Q got an A.

Bumping that over something more recent to many is pointless traffic. While I do agree some topics can be seen as ongoing some don't like those posting to users that are simply no longer around, or will be around.

That's why I recommend the Pin, I think if a topic has a chance to be ongoing for a long time, being pinned should be an idea for longevity.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frag_Maniac
@RSM-HQ said:

Oh is it really that bad? Usually over on the Monster Hunter board and it's pretty active, didn't know the D00M community was so dead on GFAQ.

GameFAQ? I posted on GameSpot. No GameFAQ actually has a fairly active Doom forum compared to here, as does Giant Bomb. Then again I would expect that since they don't seem to treat legit video contributions as mere "YouTube spam".

Don't really think I'll be hanging out here, it's gone way downhill since my last visit, and the reason seems obvious.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

we

get

da

GREEN