Your opinions on Soul Calibur 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

As you can tell by my(current)pic, I love the Soul series. However, it doesn't seem like the series is as big as Street Fighter and/or other games. I have over 200 hours of play. I got ittheday it came outand I still a playing it like it's brand-new. I love the SC games andI just want to see if other's likeit as much as I do.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I didnt like it. It didnt improve on from the previous game. Theres better fighter games on 360.

Brennan_Probst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brennan_Probst
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts

Personally I think that the Soul Calibur series is the best 1 vs 1 fighting series out there. Way better than SF, better than Virtua Fighter, better than Tekken. But I don't think 4 was as good as any of the other games in the series. The first SC was my fav.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i've logged about 400 hours on SC IV alone. it's great, but the thing that really pissed me off would be the lack of old modes like Survival and Team Battle. i own every SC game except Soul Edge/Blade and SC III (i'm not even going to count SC Legends on the Wii as a SC game). IV is probably my favorite game this generation, but i personally think that the second one was the peak of the series.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Best fighter this generation in my opinion
Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

I have to admit that it is missing modes (Example = team vs.). But thanks 4 the comments, keep 'em comming.

Thunderlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Thunderlip
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
I like Street Fighter alot more. I just don't like the art, and the way to game feels. I like Street fighter because of the button mashing you can do :)
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

The character creator is good, but the rest of the game feels very lacking. It's clear they spent so much on the Star Wars characters that they didn't bother with adding more to the game itself.
The story mode is far too short to even be called a story mode, the arcade mode is pretty short and the tower is boring. I liked the story mode from the previous game a lot more, it's a shame it wasn't added for the fourth game.

If they do a fifth title, I hope they'll stop with this fancy character nonsense and just make a fun, enjoyable game with a good amount of single player modes.

R/T

Thunderlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Thunderlip
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

The character creator is good, but the rest of the game feels very lacking. It's clear they spent so much on the Star Wars characters that they didn't bother with adding more to the game itself.

R/T

Smokescreened84

That's a very very good point. I concur.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
The character creator is good, but the rest of the game feels very lacking. It's clear they spent so much on the Star Wars characters that they didn't bother with adding more to the game itself.Smokescreened84
oh, yeah. i hear you. i'm a fan of Star Wars and all and guest characters can work on certain occasions, but this little crossover was very, very uncalled for. at least if they ever made a Star Wars fighter, it'd work with the Soul Calibur fighting system, but in this game, all they did was make two characters that were here for ****s and giggles (even officially banned from tourneys) and a third character to presumably help market TFU, a game that's completely unrelated in every way possible.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

I Adore Soul Calibur IV, even more than Blazblue , which is my current obsession. I don't know, as soon as i got the game i picked up Taki and that was all she wrote. i was hooked. logged in more than 200 hours before 5 months from launch date.

Sadly, i am currently on haitus because my friend is playing it at his house. But trust me, when i come back, i will A,B,214,236B,rising K,1ba,214K,A+B the competition!

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I liked it a lot, aside from Tower of Lost Souls making me want to throw the controller through the wall :D I probably put in over 100 hours in it and had a lot of fun. I don't miss online Kilik and Cervantes spammers though :lol:
angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 angel_14
Member since 2005 • 217 Posts
I really liked the game. I bought all the DLC (except the ultimate weapon sets), put over a 100 hours into it, got 1000/1000 but i just hated the online bit. The lobby system sucked (i liked DOA4's more) and was faced with a lot of lag.
WoodDisc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WoodDisc
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

Soul Caliber 2 and 3 are far better both with story, and fighting mode. Only good thing about the new 1 is the graphics..

I still own 3 on PS2, much better game..

Tom_delonge555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Tom_delonge555
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
I really liked the game. I bought all the DLC (except the ultimate weapon sets), put over a 100 hours into it, got 1000/1000 but i just hated the online bit. The lobby system sucked (i liked DOA4's more) and was faced with a lot of lag.angel_14
Couldn't agree more. I also put over a 100 hours into it and I also got 1000/1000 but the online was a bit of a disapointment, not bc of the menus, I don't mind them at all, but bc of the connection issues. Anyway, I still love the game to death. Can't choose between sc4 and sf4 though. That would be like choosing between Oblivion and Fallout (at least for me).
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
It is a very deep fighting game. I love it.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#17 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Ive never been a fan, anything that isn't street fighter doesn't feel natural to me.

UltraCell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 UltraCell
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

Soul Calibur 4 is a good game and I enjoy it... BUT I like Soul Calibur 3 a bit better.

I loved that you can really customize your own characters better there... and not have to worry about what stats will affect your chacater when you put on a certain armor/clothing or weapon. I felt in this game I couldn't make the character I wanted because of that. Also I really did enjoy the Chronicles of the Sword mode from the 3rd game. I was hoping the would improve on it instead of giving us the Tower of Souls... The Tower of Souls is really just agauntlet mode really. At least in Chronicles you had a story and it felt like you were going thru the story with your very own character.

Don't like the fact that the so called Story Mode was over in like 10 Minutes. It's way too short.. It should of had8 fights plus the 9th one being the boss battle.. instead of 4 and the 5th fight being the boss battle.

I did like the Star war characters... But they shouldn't be in the game, though I didn't mind them being in here it was fun. But, I think it would be more awesome if Lucas Arts teamed up with Namco to create a Star Wars fighting game in the same vain as the way Soul Calibur is... Then That would be awesome.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

Best 1 vs. 1 fighting game this gen IMHO.;)...It's got the Tower of Souls, distinct Story Mode for each character, Arcade, best Character creator known to man for a fightinf game etc.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It's alright. My favorite Soul Calibur is still Soul Calibur II.

Brennan_Probst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brennan_Probst
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts

DJ-Lafleur

LINK'S IN IT! So awesome.

MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

i like games where theres more then just beat the last boss and game over(SFIV) i like to keep playing i like to customize my character get new items. so yeah i loved SCIV and i loved VF5 and i really cant wait for Tekken 6. i spent countless hours Customizing all my fav characters in Tekken 5 so im hoping tekken 6 wont be an exception :D

Shika_Stoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Shika_Stoner
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

Yeah it's my current favorite fighting game and one of my favorite fighting series's. I played the hell outta SC4. It does need a tag team mode though. I loved the character creator. Too bad that my copy was stolen last month. I miss my Captain Planet, Sailormoon and Barrack Obama characters. :(

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

I really enjoy Soulcalibur 4. It's the best 3D fighting game I've played on the xbox 360. The Tower of Souls mode was a great way to present challenges (unlike Street Fighter 4's challenges). The graphics and gameplay are both incredible. Guest characters like Spawn, Link, and Darth Vader are great additions. I loved the create a soul mode as well. What other fighting game allows you to customize your very own fighter and put them against the Soulcalibur fighters? You can use different pieces of equipment to give yourself health boosts, defense boosts, etc... Also, the attributes on your blade like HP drain, nullify ring out, and such are a great addition. It's like combining a RPG and fighting game. The create a soul is a great start and it is something that is not present in any other fighting games. I'd like to see the create a soul expand more in the next game.

I'd like to see some sort of co-op mode. Maybe allow a tag feature with a second controller? Namco made the tag feature work in Tekken, I'm sure they can make it work in SC4. Also, maybe even a minigame added in the next game. Remember, Namco gave us Tekken bowling and Tekken ball in Tekken Tag and Tekken 3. These are just suggestions though. Soulcalibur 4 is easily one of the best fighting games available.

parducciman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 parducciman
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

I'm more of a 2D fighter person myself, i grew up playing Street Fighter and have played it and similar games most of my life, and I never really played a lot of 3D fighters growing up.

However, I do find Soul Calibur 4 to be extremely fun, it's really my first venture into the 3D fighting realm and I like it, but i can't seem to pry away from my roots, especially since SF4 came out =-P

I will say that my brother, fiancee, cousin, sister, and her bf all think im crazy because they LOVE Soul Calibur 4 and prefer playing that any day to SF4.

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Foggel
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

DJ-Lafleur
Soul Calibur 2 is the best one.
Earth_Adept92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Earth_Adept92
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I didn't really like Soul Calibur IV. I loved II though.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I love it. This and Street Fighter IV plus BlazBlue on the side.
cocorocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cocorocks
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

being a new gamer to the soul calibur series i think it's a great game and i have played for over 9000 hours lol but seriosly it is fantastic game and it was only 40 dollars so if any one is thinking about buying it they deffanently should:D

Brain_Fillets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#30 Brain_Fillets
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts

I liked SC3 better than 4. SC 4 is still a great game, I still play it constantly, but the customization is a little over the top when it comes to the stats.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

don't like it, no particular reason why, i just dont

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
one thing i did not like that they took out is doing moves with the right stick.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="Brennan_Probst"]

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

LINK'S IN IT! So awesome.

Yea i agree. I love the sc series so much i bought gamecube just so i can buy the game to play with link.... Welll actually, I got the gamecube as a gift and bought the game. It's still the only game i have for the console. I do believe that 2 is the best. I expected more out of 4. I liked it but despise the online play. The lag online made me stop playing it. I haven't played it since summer of last year.
Brassth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Brassth
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I regret buying it when it came out, Soul Calibur 2 was the last one that I really liked.