you can flame me all you want but...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drewdelapoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drewdelapoots
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

...after playing Bioshock for a few days i just now got the ADAM and EVE reference while i was showering today haha

oh and quick question. do tonics stack with each other? (i.e. doesn incinerate stack with incinerate 2 and such?)

p00nster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 p00nster
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts
i dont get it, watdoesthe adam and eve thing mean
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts
i just got that right now, as you posted it.
Mr_Burps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mr_Burps
Member since 2007 • 971 Posts
I... just got it =O
A3sth3tik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 A3sth3tik
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
i didnt realize it either, but as for ur question when u upgrade a plasmid, which incinerate is, u can't choose incinerate 1 or incinerate 2 its just 1 plasmid upgraded but for the tonics like "wrench lurker" "wrench lurker 2" if u have both equipt it does stack effects.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
I realized it when reading the wiki article on bioshock
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts

...after playing Bioshock for a few days i just now got the ADAM and EVE reference while i was showering today haha

oh and quick question. do tonics stack with each other? (i.e. doesn incinerate stack with incinerate 2 and such?)

drewdelapoots

lol wow i didnt even notice that =/ i guess thats cool

xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts
wow ... got some slow learners here, hahah.
bullfrogj3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bullfrogj3
Member since 2003 • 896 Posts

wow ... got some slow learners here, hahah. xraystar

Well then, maybe you will be so kind as to enlighten us all.

How does it tie into Bioshock?

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThaSod
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts

Man, quick on the uptake...

Another reference is Atlas, is in 'Atlas Shrugged', a book by Ayn Rand. It is a horrible book, like 1000 pages of dense text, but it is aparently about capitalism and completely free markets.

I haven't read it, but after reading the Wikipedia entry on it, the plot is very similar to Bioshock's.

salamancecool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 salamancecool
Member since 2004 • 963 Posts
I got it quite some time ago :D
HybridGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HybridGrunt
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
LoL :P
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
lol ye i just got it now was well:shock:
Chief9088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Chief9088
Member since 2006 • 441 Posts
LOL @ myself for not catching that till now:lol:
JamaicanGuy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JamaicanGuy72
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts

the hell! how many people are just realising that now?!?!?!

as if you didnt realise before hehe (you need at least one flamer)

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

[QUOTE="xraystar"]wow ... got some slow learners here, hahah. bullfrogj3

Well then, maybe you will be so kind as to enlighten us all.

How does it tie into Bioshock?

Very simple, Adam and Eve were the original humans (Not counting Lillith of course :P) Andrew Ryan was the proprietor of Rapture. Adam and Eve made discoveries and lived their lives happily, as did Ryan and the people of Rapture. Eve then ate the apple and released evil into the world, Ryan researched plasmids and tonics, and released evil into his underground city. The snake tempted Eve, by the words spoken in the diaries all over Rapture, Frank Fontaine tempted and pushed Ryan and his subordinates to further research bad things (little sisters, the big daddy). You can see how they sync up.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="ThaSod"]

Another reference is Atlas, is in 'Atlas Shrugged', a book by Ayn Rand. It is a horrible book, like 1000 pages of dense text, but it is aparently about capitalism and completely free markets.

I haven't read it, but after reading the Wikipedia entry on it, the plot is very similar to Bioshock's.

ferdiv

oh, wow...

first, if you haven't read the book, how can you hold yourself out to be an expert on the subject?

how can a book be horrible if you have never read it? did the close to 1,100 pages scare you off? do you only look at picture books?

saying atlas shrugged is about capitalism and completely free markets is like saying bioshock is about water.

the plots are not similar. they share one thing in common, and that is that one man in each story creates a "utopia" (i use that term lightly because of bioshock) that cherishes the individual. you could maybe also draw comparisons in that a main character finds said "utopia" by crashing in a plane.

you're a joke if you think reading the wikipedia entry on atlas shrugged gives you any basis whatsoever to discuss it on any meaningful level. of course, i doubt if you'd read it you'd be able to get any of the philosophy out of it anyway.

for the record...the book's characters are extremely flat; that is its major drawback, but it is an amazing work of literature.

I gasped too when I read that quote

TheSystemLord1 = English Major

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThaSod
[QUOTE="ferdiv"][QUOTE="ThaSod"]

TheSystemLord1

oh, wow...

first, if you haven't read the book, how can you hold yourself out to be an expert on the subject?

how can a book be horrible if you have never read it? did the close to 1,100 pages scare you off? do you only look at picture books?

saying atlas shrugged is about capitalism and completely free markets is like saying bioshock is about water.

the plots are not similar. they share one thing in common, and that is that one man in each story creates a "utopia" (i use that term lightly because of bioshock) that cherishes the individual. you could maybe also draw comparisons in that a main character finds said "utopia" by crashing in a plane.

you're a joke if you think reading the wikipedia entry on atlas shrugged gives you any basis whatsoever to discuss it on any meaningful level. of course, i doubt if you'd read it you'd be able to get any of the philosophy out of it anyway.

for the record...the book's characters are extremely flat; that is its major drawback, but it is an amazing work of literature.

Hmm I don't see Ferdiv's original post, but thank you systemlord for quoting him.

I never claimed to be an expert on Atlas Shrugged. In fact I clearly said I hadn't read it. I guess what you are arguing is my opinion that it is a horrible book. For the record, I should not have put that in, or at least I should have referenced it, as I basically stole my opinion from South Park. Remember when the police chief learns to read? And the first book he reads is... Atlas Shrugged. And he hated it.

Now for your part, there was no need for the whole 'do you only look at picture books?' comment. I won't try to compare reading libraries with you, as I am not an English major. The whole purpose of my post was that, in addition to the Adam and Eve symbolism, there was a heck of a lot of symbolism borrowed from Ayn Rand, who I'm sure 90% of the posters here have never even heard of.

I retract my 'the book is horrible' comment until I read this book, which playing Bioshock has inspired me to do. Might take a while, though.

contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
i just got that right now, as you posted it.iloverikku11
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

*slaps forehead*

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
Only on the second day of playing did it click that Andrew Ryan is a play off Ayn Rand. "Fancy those clever buggers," I said.
skazbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skazbot
Member since 2006 • 333 Posts
Actually I was playing today and my girlfriend was like "Did you notice the rwo main powercomponents are called adam and eve" and Like an idiot I replied "pshh yeah" did you just get that now? while I just got it then.
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts
Oh my...:)
HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HoVDaHuSTLa1
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
Still lost.
ferdiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ferdiv
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

sod:

the picture book thing was in reference to the fact that you stated that it was a horrible book, and your reason for it being horrible seemed to be that it was 1,000 pages of dense text. i was a little snarky, yeah ;)

it is worth reading. it will take a while and, again, the characters are not the most believable in the world, but it is a thought-provoking book and it is well worth your time.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheSystemLord1

Actually I was playing today and my girlfriend was like "Did you notice the rwo main powercomponents are called adam and eve" and Like an idiot I replied "pshh yeah" did you just get that now? while I just got it then.skazbot

hahaha you keep on fightin the good fight brother.

wenzke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wenzke
Member since 2004 • 367 Posts

Sod (and others who are interested):

You don't necessarilly need to read all of "Atlas Shrugged" to get Ayn Rand's point. somewhere in the second act issection entitled "John Galt Speaks". This is a speech given by one of the characters, and it pretty much sums up Ayn Rand's philosophy of "rational self interest". This is the philosophy advocated by Andrew Ryan in Bioshock. A much quicker read by Ayn Rand, which explores similar issues (though not as completely) is "Anthem". This can be read in a single day, and will give you a claer enough understanding of the foundations of "rational self interest".

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThaSod

Well I am going to check them both out today then- though I still have to finish 1634: The Baltic War. If I can blast through Anthem in a day, maybe I'll hit that one 1st.

GoodkupoBan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GoodkupoBan
Member since 2006 • 646 Posts
I just thought Eve was a reference to System Shock.
BigDaveyDogz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BigDaveyDogz
Member since 2003 • 1815 Posts
I figured it out while playing the demo.
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Jocubus
Member since 2006 • 2812 Posts
I don't know why people exalt Ayn Rand so much. She is a pseudo-philosopher at best. Most people are especially turned off because of her disgusting homophobia and misogyny. In the interest of full disclosure I am a closer follower of Dostoevsky and Kierkegaard who are very much in the opposite camp.
joblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 joblue
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
Atlas Shrugged is an amazing book. 1000 pages, and you cat put it down.
blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
Atlas Shrugged is an amazing book. 1000 pages, and you cat put it down.joblue
Meow.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Atlas Shrugged is an amazing book. 1000 pages, and you cat put it down.joblue

Based on this comment I just looked the book up and read the first page at Amazon. The writer seems to write in small disjointed sentences. I'll pick it up and read a few more when I see it at the book store, but as of now it seems I'm not going to like the writing style.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JMart0492
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
Before I played the game I thought it was spelled Atom. But when I saw it was spelled Adam in the game text I immediately knew.
ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThaSod

[QUOTE="joblue"]Atlas Shrugged is an amazing book. 1000 pages, and you cat put it down.rgsniper1

Based on this comment I just looked the book up and read the first page at Amazon. The writer seems to write in small disjointed sentences. I'll pick it up and read a few more when I see it at the book store, but as of now it seems I'm not going to like the writing style.

I just read the 1st page, and it actually looks pretty good.

ferdiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ferdiv
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

i would suggest skipping anthem and going for the fountainhead if you don't want to tackle atlas shrugged first. anthem is fine, but the other two are her masterpieces. if i recall, the fountainhead is somewhere on the order of 450 pages.

ayn rand isn't perfect, but she certainly makes you think. her philosophy tends to resonate with libertarian-minded people (of course, i'm generalizing, and this may not apply to everyone).

(edit: i just received notice that my first post was moderated for trolling and that the "Reason for moderation: Intending solely to annoy and/or offend other users." that clearly wasn't the sole intent of my first post, but obviously the moderator and the person who reported me had trouble comprehending that...so...if anyone else has trouble understanding anything, pm me ;) and kudos to gamespot for having such a transparent way to get in touch with the moderators who take action on your account! and to think i paid for this... ;)).

ibanez_rox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ibanez_rox
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

Sod (and others who are interested):

You don't necessarilly need to read all of "Atlas Shrugged" to get Ayn Rand's point. somewhere in the second act issection entitled "John Galt Speaks". This is a speech given by one of the characters, and it pretty much sums up Ayn Rand's philosophy of "rational self interest". This is the philosophy advocated by Andrew Ryan in Bioshock. A much quicker read by Ayn Rand, which explores similar issues (though not as completely) is "Anthem". This can be read in a single day, and will give you a claer enough understanding of the foundations of "rational self interest".

wenzke

I know this is really off topic......but isn'tJohn Galt a cheat in Warcraft 3? Like if you type in whoisjohngalt you unlock research or something like that.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts
wow ... got some slow learners here, hahah. xraystar
Would you kindly explain please? Im a slow learner :)
LordDarkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LordDarkstorn
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts
don't even try to read Ayn Rand. She's an individualist **** She's mean too...:evil:
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

I figured it out while playing the demo.BigDaveyDogz

same here.

jtparsons54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 jtparsons54
Member since 2006 • 1857 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="ferdiv"][QUOTE="ThaSod"]

ThaSod

oh, wow...

Hmm I don't see Ferdiv's original post, but thank you systemlord for quoting him.

I never claimed to be an expert on Atlas Shrugged. In fact I clearly said I hadn't read it. I guess what you are arguing is my opinion that it is a horrible book. For the record, I should not have put that in, or at least I should have referenced it, as I basically stole my opinion from South Park. Remember when the police chief learns to read? And the first book he reads is... Atlas Shrugged. And he hated it.

Now for your part, there was no need for the whole 'do you only look at picture books?' comment. I won't try to compare reading libraries with you, as I am not an English major. The whole purpose of my post was that, in addition to the Adam and Eve symbolism, there was a heck of a lot of symbolism borrowed from Ayn Rand, who I'm sure 90% of the posters here have never even heard of.

I retract my 'the book is horrible' comment until I read this book, which playing Bioshock has inspired me to do. Might take a while, though.

After I found out that the book and game were related (a couple weeks before Bioshock's release) I went to alocal Hasting's that is closing and bought the book for $6. I haven't started it yet (I have to read The Great Gatsby for school first), but I am really looking forward to it.

ThaSod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThaSod

[QUOTE="xraystar"]wow ... got some slow learners here, hahah. Shade-Blade
Would you kindly explain please? Im a slow learner :)

OK- Well I am going to assume you are a Zoroastrian who was raised in Outer Mongolia....

Adam and Eve, both commodities in the game of Bioshock, are an obvious reference to the first two people on Earth, according to the Muslim, Jewish and Christian religions.

As this is a basic part of 75% of the cultures of the world, I would recommend going to wikipedia and reading at least the first page of the entry on Genesis.