Xbox360 60gb/120gb Hard Drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Guybrush2008 (25 posts) -

Is the xbox360 hard drive worth purchasing, and if it is which one, the 60GB or the 120GB. When one of these is purchased do I get a migration cable so I can transfer everything from the 20GB hard drive, or do I have to phone Microsoft and wait for it? I believe it is better to run games from the hard drive, it makes less noise and so far seems to run better, but with me only having a 20GB I have limited space and can only store a couple of games if that, although it does not take long to save the games to the hard drive, it means having to delete, then install again. I cannot really make my mind up, thats why I need info, from people who have already purchased the hard drives to tell me if it is worth it, cheers.

#2 Posted by Eddie5vs1 (6085 posts) -
I think the 120gb HDD comes with a transfer kit, but the 60gb HDD doesn't.
#3 Posted by BiThBhE0 (1643 posts) -

I just picked up a 120 hdd a few weeks ago and glad I did. If you have the extra cash, I recommend getting the 120 over the 60 depending on how many games you want to install. My 360 runs so quiet now, I no longer have disc read errors, it cut back on some loading screens and is considerably cooler.

Edit: I forgot to add that my 120 came with a transfer cable which was very easy and took about 40 minutes to complete.

#4 Posted by Mr_Glorius (58 posts) -
Once you start installing games, there's not much room left for video, demos, and arcade games. I've decided that I'm going to pick up a 120gb hard drive soon. What do I do with my 60gb though? Are gaming stores goin to take them for trade in possibly?
#5 Posted by chex81 (3661 posts) -

ive been debating this as well...and although the difference is $50, for myself I can see the 60gb being more than enough. Seriously, how many games to i play at one time (over the course of a month)...2, maybe 3? 6gb x 3 = 18gb...that leaves TONS of room for videos and demos. I really can't understand the concept of installing every single game i own on the HDD when some i don't play for months...and its not like its difficult to uninstall and install to the HDD...10 mins?

However, the 120 gb is the safe way and its only $50...with the cable...

#6 Posted by Buttmonkey9000 (2875 posts) -
Installing games? Does that literally mean ripping the contents of a game disc to the hardrive... or is it simply downloading gaes from Xbox Live?
#7 Posted by chex81 (3661 posts) -

Installing games? Does that literally mean ripping the contents of a game disc to the hardrive... or is it simply downloading gaes from Xbox Live?Buttmonkey9000

installing all the data from the Disc to the HDD...but you still need the disc to run the game, but loading is run off the HDD files.

#8 Posted by Buttmonkey9000 (2875 posts) -
Cool - so it makes it quieter i guess then... Is this a new thing, or has it been around for ages?
#9 Posted by raylewisnfl52 (7146 posts) -
Well Im in the same position so I am deffinetly buying the 120 gig soon. I am sick of deleting stuff off my HDD everytime I want to download something. Right now I have one game installed and there is only 100 megabites left after deleting some downloadable content from games which I hate doing. Now when the Fable 2 DLC comes out I will have to either uninstall Fable 2 of delete some other things. So I am just going to buy the 120
#10 Posted by Fogotmypantz (821 posts) -

Cool - so it makes it quieter i guess then... Is this a new thing, or has it been around for ages?Buttmonkey9000

New, they just came out with the update in November

#11 Posted by Nocturnal15 (1476 posts) -
I believe the new the 60gb live starter pack comes with a cable as well O_o or does it not?
#12 Posted by coreymx2006 (28 posts) -
You've got to go with the 120gb atm there is more and more dlc being made available each and every day. Also, now that you can install games onto the hdd it makes even more sense to have the larger hard drive. In essence you could "get by" with the 60gb hdd, but imo the 120gb hdd is the best long term solution/safety valve .
#13 Posted by rclen33 (67 posts) -
the new 60gb starter kit comes with a transfer cable as well
#14 Posted by chex81 (3661 posts) -

the new 60gb starter kit comes with a transfer cable as wellrclen33

i dont think so

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10114392&catid=#

• Includes Ethernet cable, user manual, and preloaded Xbox 360 content included game demos, trailers, and more

#15 Posted by Nocturnal15 (1476 posts) -

[QUOTE="rclen33"]the new 60gb starter kit comes with a transfer cable as wellchex81

i dont think so

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10114392&catid=#

• Includes Ethernet cable, user manual, and preloaded Xbox 360 content included game demos, trailers, and more

I notice many websites are falsely advertising that the new starter pack comes with a data migration kit. Seeing as Ive found out from reviews that it doesnt, is it possible to use a cable that say a friend has and still be able to transfer?

#16 Posted by b11051973 (7621 posts) -

I would get the 120 if you can afford it. I've become addicted to installing games to the HDD. I've got like 6-8 games installed and still have over 30 GB free space. I did recently go thru my drive and delete old map packs and content for games I'll never or rarely play again.

Avatar image for weekendrockstar
#17 Posted by weekendrockstar (49 posts) -
The 60gig starter kit does not come with a data transfer cable. It comes with the 3 month Live Gold Membership card and a standard 360 headset which is what I bought when I bought my console. This worked fine for me as I had just bought my 360 and therefore had no other HDD with files I needed to transfer. Or you could look into a plug-and-play external HDD that connects to a USB port..and what one doesn't? But it comes down to the money you want to put out and the amount of space you'd need. I've only downloaded some demos but haven't installed any games yet. But as soon as I get one with multi-player that is still heavily in use I will probably install that one if I am using it more often and just use the discs with other games that I throw in for the hell of it now and then.
#18 Posted by BiThBhE0 (1643 posts) -
I'm pretty sure the 60 gb starter pack comes with an ethernet cable and not the transfer cable. As far as using the transfer cable multiple times, I remember reading in the instructions that it can only be used once.
#19 Posted by bullschwitz (319 posts) -
ive got a 20GB and it will hold altleast my game saves and DLC. maybe a few demos too. but thats about it. I would think the 60 would be more than enough.