Xbox Update Will Add USB Storage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4691-Xbox-360-Update-Will-Add-USB-Storage-Function.html

No more need to upgrade hard drive for the win?

Jonas008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jonas008
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts
its pretty big news for me since i have a 20gb hdd :/
Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

Gamespot announced this a few days ago but good looking out.

PsYcHo_BrOwNiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 PsYcHo_BrOwNiE
Member since 2009 • 5059 Posts
This is good news, I'm running out of memory
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Heh I will now have three backups for my saves. I'll be getting a 60 GB HDD for free so it's not big news for me. That will be more than enough but still good news.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

its pretty big news for me since i have a 20gb hdd :/Jonas008
Same here, it's annoying being only able to install 1-2 games max. Got 11GB left :(

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I got a 160 external without 100 gigs left. So glad I can use them.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I wonder if you'll be forced to use Microsoft USB drives..or will it be most USB drives. Something tells me Microsoft wouldn't be doing this for the better of the consumer..it's money behind why they're doing this. I just don't know where yet..
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RobboElRobbo
I wonder if you'll be forced to use Microsoft USB drives..or will it be most USB drives. Something tells me Microsoft wouldn't be doing this for the better of the consumer..it's money behind why they're doing this. I just don't know where yet..gamer082009

Most likely. :(

Same and I barely have any room left.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Meh, an improvement on the status quo, sure, but it's still pretty sad that I'm still stuck with a 20 gig HDD because I have to pay $180 for a decent sized HDD from MS when if they would allow users to use any external HDD they wish I could get a 320 gig drive for $70.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RobboElRobbo

Meh, an improvement on the status quo, sure, but it's still pretty sad that I'm still stuck with a 20 gig HDD because I have to pay $180 for a decent sized HDD from MS when if they would allow users to use any external HDD they wish I could get a 320 gig drive for $70.

Cwagmire21

Which is why there is a very important statement in that article: "a number of USB devices" which pretty much says that yeah, there's gonna be some M$ Xbox brand flash drives in the making.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

RobboElRobbo

Which is why there is a very important statement in that article: "a number of USB devices" which pretty much says that yeah, there's gonna be some M$ Xbox brand flash drives in the making.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant that this news is still pretty crappy in that we can't use third-party HDDs. I don't want to manage multiple USB drives to figure out which one has my game save I need to load - especially overpriced MS branded ones. :(

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant that this news is still pretty crappy in that we can't use third-party HDDs. I don't want to manage multiple USB drives to figure out which one has my game save I need to load - especially overpriced MS branded ones. :(

Oh, sorry. :P Well, there's always the option to simply label them right? That's what you had to do with Gamecube memory cards. :P

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Oh, sorry. :P Well, there's always the option to simply label them right? That's what you had to do with Gamecube memory cards. :P

I was actually about to mention the GCN but I've had my threads deleted before for mentioning another console (briefly) in the 360 forum. A few of the mods on here can be nazis - probably about to get this one deleted.

But back to this USB storage - if it turns out its MS only USB storage, I'm going to freak out lol.

dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 dkidfrmdbx
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts

yea i mean microsoft is greedy whats new, they try to make things seem like they are cool, but at the end they show their true greedy colors, might get mod for this but truth is truth. im sure theyll charge so much money for their usb's it wont be worth buying them, and the usb's will have like half the space available in them used with system related stuff.... one thing though is if you use an external hardrive on ps3 you can transfer your saves onto it (as long as its formatted fat32) not trying to be a fan boy, if you look at my gamer card you can see ive played 360 wayyyyyy more then i did ps3.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

"Microsoft's spec for the functionality reportedly said USB devices must be at least 1GB in size but could not be anymore than 16GB, thereby artificially blocking the use of high-capacity external hard drives with the console."This is what was reported in Gamespots article on the matter so don't get your hopes up on using that 500GB External HDD.M$ is all about money,nothing else,so allowing large storage device use would ultimately cost them millions because no-one would need to buy their severely overpriced HDD's anymore.I hope this is not the case but if I know M$ nothing is ever as it seems.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

This is great. I'm using a 20 GB HDD from the old Pro models. I was going to upgrade to an Elite, but I see that's not needed.

Just to be clear, does this mean that I could buy a Terabyte external HDD for use with the 360?

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

no phoenix, the max is 16 gigs. very lame IMO. this update is crap in my opinion, they could easily allow us to use all sized external harddrives, but yes prior posters are correct and microsoft will for sure make a first party memory unit since no third party makers FREAKIN BOTHER TO MAKE 16 GIG EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES. BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE POINTLESS. i have an 8 gig thumb drive. 5$ at amazon. x2 ftw.

Jonas008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jonas008
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

no phoenix, the max is 16 gigs. very lame IMO. this update is crap in my opinion, they could easily allow us to use all sized external harddrives, but yes prior posters are correct and microsoft will for sure make a first party memory unit since no third party makers FREAKIN BOTHER TO MAKE 16 GIG EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES. BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE POINTLESS. i have an 8 gig thumb drive. 5$ at amazon. x2 ftw.

jlevin860
you just have to make your HDD fat32 and the xbox will reconize it i have a 160GB HDD like this and i use it for movies, music and all those thing with my 360 right now..
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="jlevin860"]

Jonas008

you just have to make your HDD fat32 and the xbox will reconize it i have a 160GB HDD like this and i use it for movies, music and all those thing with my 360 right now..

You are using a third-party HDD formatted as fat32 and it works?

Plinioisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Plinioisonfire
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4691-Xbox-360-Update-Will-Add-USB-Storage-Function.html

RobboElRobbo

see your here for you late pass

Niko-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Niko-
Member since 2010 • 51 Posts

Well this would defeat Microsoft's stance against user generated content then.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

Plinioisonfire

see your here for you late pass

That made way too much sense.

guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

I remember there being a limit on the capacity of the USB, something around 16 GB though I am uncertain about this. Even so, this is good news figuring all the Rock Band songs take up a chunk of HDD space.

hassanfadil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hassanfadil
Member since 2003 • 1051 Posts

I remember there being a limit on the capacity of the USB, something around 16 GB though I am uncertain about this. Even so, this is good news figuring all the Rock Band songs take up a chunk of HDD space.

guitardude1243

"regardless of the overall size of the device you're using, the Xbox will only enable 16 GB of usable, non-system storage"

Source

But still that's not bad :)

gamehippieabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamehippieabc
Member since 2008 • 291 Posts

know the feel'n

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Kind of sad that it took this long to give us USB storage.