Xbox One new games disk need patches

This topic is locked from further discussion.

akgamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 akgamer007
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

If I buy a Xbox One game today, for example. I buy Assassin's Creed Unity today then will I get it bug free with updates and then don't I need patches and updates?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I seriously doubt you´ll get a disc without bugs that will need patches to fix them, of course, updates are inevitable. I don´t own X1 yet, I own PoS4 and for example COD AW has been updated 4 times since launch if I remember correctly, I don´t doubt a little bit the same thing has happened for the X1.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

Yep, had to download a 700 meg update for GTA V. Although time probably was a factor since I last played it. OP, no game is ever perfect, patches being floating code, they also can create bugs from bugs. A well written game from the start wil obviously mitigate as much as possible. A rushed out game though, and Star Trek: Legacy comes to mind, can be awful to the point of being frustrating and unplayable.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It's quite sad that games on consoles are no longer insert disc and play, ( probably the last games like that are mostly Nintendo games ) now it's all insert, install game, then download and then install updates/ patches and if you are lucky you can play ...... Maybe tomorrow ! ( sarcasm )

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Transk53

@raugutcon:

Not to mention all the bloody console updates. Don't MS actually realise that a console is for playing games lol. Oh well with the W10 esq dashboard, it is only going to get worse.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@raugutcon said:

It's quite sad that games on consoles are no longer insert disc and play, ( probably the last games like that are mostly Nintendo games ) now it's all insert, install game, then download and then install updates/ patches and if you are lucky you can play ...... Maybe tomorrow ! ( sarcasm )

So you miss the days of broken games?

You'd rather have a game that's unplayable than patches, well that makes perfect sense...

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Transk53

@Jaysonguy:

Think he is refering to the good old cartridge with the former. On the latter, I do miss the good old days of cover disks.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@transk53 said:

@Jaysonguy:

Think he is refering to the good old cartridge with the former. On the latter, I do miss the good old days of cover disks.

Cartridges were broken. Back then it was even worse because if you had a game that was broken you would have to contact the company, send your game in, and wait for them to send you a replacement. They also didn't have the recalls they have today. Maybe you grabbed a copy of the game that worked, maybe you didn't.

All games have a chance to be broken. Even the DS has a bunch of games that you would have to send back to the company for a new copy.

No one likes waiting for a patch to download but we're in 2015 so unless you're in a really desolate part of America you have about an hour to wait at worst.

One hour to play > never being able to play.

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

The One hour to play > Never being able to play logic is interesting, and holds some merit. However.. I'm still able to whip out my SNES and Cube games, for example, and play them today by just popping them in. Sure, they may have been better with a patch here and there but at the end of the day most of those games are complete and enjoyable to play today.

Now the question that I have is.. it's inevitable that one day Sony and MS will pull the plug on our current consoles, and when that happens how will people then seeking out older consoles (now PS4,X1) be able to buy games and enjoy them? If these games have bugs that NEED patches, then how will they go about it? I know the common answer is "We'll worry about it then" and "Don't worry Microsoft has you covered". That doesn't tell me anything.. it only makes me worry. I don't think PC gaming will have this problem since games tend to survive and once their patched their good to go. For instance you can buy a fully up-to-date copy of (insert game from 90s or even modern titles like Far Cry 2) from outlets such as Gog.com and I imagine they'll be there forever(ish).

This is why I was looking forward to the Playstation Now service. I don't like the fact that it's basically a rental service, but if Sony can streamline this for the future and keep this ONE service active for the long run then it's the next best thing to Steam. This is assuming that once you buy titles then your allowed to download at will and store on your future consoles harddrive until it dies. Something like that I dunno. Maybe I'm just crazy?

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

almost every game on every console nowadays needs a day one patch/update

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Transk53

@Jaysonguy:

That maybe so, but there are other parts of the world you know, not just desolate America lol. By and large most European countries have decent connectivity so the one mark is spot on really. The only problem is the constant lack of knowledge regarding the avarage net user. People believing all the crap about mega fast connections, when in reality the area is saturated by home DSL, cable etc. This impacts all over the place, so constant delivery of content via digital means is not something I want to rely on. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I like old school with the new, not Johnny Mnemonic. I would glady use a optical disc, than rely on a unbotched download.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Transk53

@JayQproductions:

Yeah, the DRM thing.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Transk53

@pathofneo99 said:

The One hour to play > Never being able to play logic is interesting, and holds some merit. However.. I'm still able to whip out my SNES and Cube games, for example, and play them today by just popping them in. Sure, they may have been better with a patch here and there but at the end of the day most of those games are complete and enjoyable to play today.

Now the question that I have is.. it's inevitable that one day Sony and MS will pull the plug on our current consoles, and when that happens how will people then seeking out older consoles (now PS4,X1) be able to buy games and enjoy them? If these games have bugs that NEED patches, then how will they go about it? I know the common answer is "We'll worry about it then" and "Don't worry Microsoft has you covered". That doesn't tell me anything.. it only makes me worry. I don't think PC gaming will have this problem since games tend to survive and once their patched their good to go. For instance you can buy a fully up-to-date copy of (insert game from 90s or even modern titles like Far Cry 2) from outlets such as Gog.com and I imagine they'll be there forever(ish).

This is why I was looking forward to the Playstation Now service. I don't like the fact that it's basically a rental service, but if Sony can streamline this for the future and keep this ONE service active for the long run then it's the next best thing to Steam. This is assuming that once you buy titles then your allowed to download at will and store on your future consoles harddrive until it dies. Something like that I dunno. Maybe I'm just crazy?

That is the issue I personally have with XBLG. Yeah in the main it works, but being compared with Steam, it is amateurish. Steam as a delivery system has no equal, even had an unintentional community fix for a GOG title. Get what you are saying and you are not crazy. SI Interactive give the option of installing multiple copies of FM to different devices. Think it is five installs, so I can't see that way being any different with a console.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@raugutcon said:

When I had "high speed" DSL I shared your exact sentiments because with a big update it was usually the next day I was able to play. Ditching that craptastic service for substantially faster cable and these large updates are done in minutes and are not the irritation as they were once looked upon.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

To answer your question, yes you will need the updates.

The build version that is on-disc is the same version that the game originally shipped on. Nothing has changed and nothing will change.

The only time the build version might be different is if they release a new SKU of the product. For example, maybe a Assassin's Creed "Collection" or a Platinum Hits sort of thing.

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

I just can't trust buying games off XBLA..when who knows how long they'll be around and you can't even put them on more than one console at a time!! WTF is that? I had this conversation before and SolidTy came in and said I couldn't have my XBLA games on a 2nd Xbox 360. I know I'm talking about last gen but it's still on topic. What was the point in me going out and buying another Xbox 360 (for backup purpose) when I can't even do just that..backup? Does MS expect consumers console to last for decades or something?

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Transk53

@pathofneo99 said:

I just can't trust buying games off XBLA..when who knows how long they'll be around and you can't even put them on more than one console at a time!! WTF is that? I had this conversation before and SolidTy came in and said I couldn't have my XBLA games on a 2nd Xbox 360. I know I'm talking about last gen but it's still on topic. What was the point in me going out and buying another Xbox 360 (for backup purpose) when I can't even do just that..backup? Does MS expect consumers console to last for decades or something?

MS ain't going to care unless Sony has a console that outlasts the MS hardware.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I would respond with my thoughts, but i'll just point to this post I made a while back on the same thing. Honestly we could go back and forth, but the bottom line is that I have a ton of consoles with well over a thousand games that didn't need to be patched. I played them, had fun with them and all with no extra coding needed. Back in the other post it was also said that patches were few and far between, I would disagree as since then I've put in several games that required big patches again... and again. Maybe if you're someone who only has a few games that you play constantly it doesn't seem like there's to many, but if you have a "collection" of games it seems you're on a never ending cycle of updates. Thinking back, Jasonguy you made the same comment in my thread "oh so you like broke games?" No the answer would be, no we don't like broke games which is exactly what you buy now a days which is why they are always being patched. I like games that are not broke, don't need to be patched constantly because they were done right and complete the first time. As I said then, sadly we all know it can be done because Nintendo still does it to this day.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

@Solaryellow: You do understand that not everyone can get a good solid high speed connection in their area. Also, with a good connection comes cost and it's understandable that a lot of people either aren't willing to get or can't afford one just to play video games. I have a pretty good connection at around 100mbs down and I still find it irritating when I need to download updates that are between say 7 and 18 gigs or so. Now looking at two of my siblings, they can't even get anything over like 10 or 15 mbs down in their areas so what would it be like for them. My last sibling honestly is lucky if she could get 3mbs way out in the country where she lives, so it would suck to have to move so her kids could enjoy gaming. So we go back to before games "required" you to even have internet.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@rgsniper1 said:

@Solaryellow: You do understand that not everyone can get a good solid high speed connection in their area. Also, with a good connection comes cost and it's understandable that a lot of people either aren't willing to get or can't afford one just to play video games. I have a pretty good connection at around 100mbs down and I still find it irritating when I need to download updates that are between say 7 and 18 gigs or so. Now looking at two of my siblings, they can't even get anything over like 10 or 15 mbs down in their areas so what would it be like for them. My last sibling honestly is lucky if she could get 3mbs way out in the country where she lives, so it would suck to have to move so her kids could enjoy gaming. So we go back to before games "required" you to even have internet.

Time are changing and the video game industry is moving along and a lot of people are going to be left behind if they don't change with it. The world is heavily dependent on having access to the internet. With everything though, there are trade offs. Technology is great if you have access but if not, there isn't much you can do. Two weeks ago I finally upgraded my service and really, it should have been done years ago but I never thought it was available. The options were numerous when I finally decided to inquire and I kick myself for being so lack.

People not having a good solid connection is just too bad. It's 2015. Maybe some of these telecommunication services should get with the times?