Xbox ONE - dispelling the myths

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrlash
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

Hey guys,

I wrote a short summary of a few of the common misconceptions floating around about the new Xbox reveal ... hope you like it. Thanks

Cheers,

Martin

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#2 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Hey guys,

I wrote a short summary of a few of the common misconceptions floating around about the new Xbox reveal ... hope you like it. Thanks

Cheers,

Martin

mrlash

The Myths are not an issue anymore, it's seems that MS ticked more people off with facts then anything!! But they got a chance to make things right for the gamers at E3.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrlash

... and I'm sure they will :) they just have to - and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

[QUOTE="mrlash"]

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Martin

MarcRecon

The Myths are not an issue anymore, it's seems that MS ticked more people off with facts then anything!! But they got a chance to make things right for the gamers at E3.

I'm okay with what I've heard. Not sure why people are so mad at MS though, we don't know much about the PS4 yet and people are already condemning MS.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrlash

I'm okay with what I've heard. Not sure why people are so mad at MS though, we don't know much about the PS4 yet and people are already condemning MS.

Blueresident87

exactly! I've also noticed this "trend" ... this sort of thing happens after each and every one of Microsoft pressconfs - whatever they might be launching. There's ALWAYS so much hatered ... and I don't really know why. I mean - surely, the yesterday's reveal wasn't NEARLY as bad as the WiiU presentation last year ... I don't know ... maybe it's just "the cool thing" right now - hating on MS. I've no idea

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

mrlash

exactly! I've also noticed this "trend" ... this sort of thing happens after each and every one of Microsoft pressconfs - whatever they might be launching. There's ALWAYS so much hatered ... and I don't really know why. I mean - surely, the yesterday's reveal wasn't NEARLY as bad as the WiiU presentation last year ... I don't know ... maybe it's just "the cool thing" right now - hating on MS. I've no idea

It's pretty clear that the new console is aimed at the masses....not the true gamers who have supported the console for years...that's what people are mad about! I'm not saying that the other console makers are doing much better, "BUT" at least they are not being as obvious!

I'm not ruling out buying the new console but at the same time I'm not jumping on the bandwagon until I see more.:)

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Martin

mrlash
yay...
mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrlash

It's pretty clear that the new console is aimed at the masses....not the true gamers who have supported the console for years...that's what people are mad about! I'm not saying that the other console makers are doing much better, "BUT" at least they are not being as obvious!

I'm not ruling out buying the new console but at the same time I'm not jumping on the bandwagon until I see more.:)

MarcRecon
well, you have to keep in mind that they haven't really shown that many games yet ... they're leaving that for E3. They just needed to get all that "other stuff" out of the way yesterday, so that they can focus only on the games at E3 :) I'm sure we'll be seeing quite a few of those in those 20 days time. So if I had to guess, I'd say it'll be more like "we're still about games for 'true gamers' ... PLUS it can do all that other stuff we've shown yesterday" ... but that's just my guess :)
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

mrlash

well, you have to keep in mind that they haven't really shown that many games yet ... they're leaving that for E3. They just needed to get all that "other stuff" out of the way yesterday, so that they can focus only on the games at E3 :) I'm sure we'll be seeing quite a few of those in those 20 days time. So if I had to guess, I'd say it'll be more like "we're still about games for 'true gamers' ... PLUS it can do all that other stuff we've shown yesterday" ... but that's just my guess :)

Either way I know I'm gonna get the system, it's just a matter of when. I just don't like the direction that MS and the "OTHER" console is taking, I guess I just need to be more patient and let things play out.:)

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrlash
EXACTLY!! :) same here :) I'm just waiting for all of the OFFICIAL info to come out ... I'm definitely not going to go by ANYTHING kotaku says, for sure - even if it's an interview
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

MS completely screwed up with this one. What little interest I had in the console has been eliminated. 

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MarcRecon

MS completely screwed up with this one. What little interest I had in the console has been eliminated.

Vari3ty

Come on V, I thought I was the only one jumping the gun!!!:P

Avatar image for deactivated-608a2eb908da4
deactivated-608a2eb908da4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-608a2eb908da4
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

Sorry, but I don't agree with your views on existing XBLA content not being portable to the new xbox.

Ever heard of an emulator??

I can see retail discs not being backwards compatible, but in this day and age of everything being on the cloud, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why XBLA games I've purchased should not be playable on Xbox One. Many of the best ones will eventually be ported over into XB1 versions anyway. The games are stored on a server. Let me download them and play them on the new Xbox One. It isn't that hard.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrlash
well, what can I say - you hit the nail on the head :) Many of the best ones WILL eventually be ported over to X1 - I never said they wouldn't be :) as for the rest - I'm sure they could ... but they won't ... why? because emulation in general isn't really all that reliable. Remember how it turned out with X360 backwards compatibility? Exactly ...
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Sorry, but I don't agree with your views on existing XBLA content not being portable to the new xbox.

Ever heard of an emulator??

I can see retail discs not being backwards compatible, but in this day and age of everything being on the cloud, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why XBLA games I've purchased should not be playable on Xbox One. Many of the best ones will eventually be ported over into XB1 versions anyway. The games are stored on a server. Let me download them and play them on the new Xbox One. It isn't that hard.

Killrnut

So yeah if you knew how emulation worked you would know that it just isnt feasible to have a 360 emulator at least not yet. There's 2 types of emulation hardware and software. Hardware emulation is almost perfect  in its compatibility because well the actual hardware from the system being emulated is present. The downside being that this is extremely costly because you would need the new hardware which is already expensive + the old hardware. This is what happened with the ps3at launch. They used hardware emulation but it was expensive and they eventually ended up cutting it out of the system to save money. The second type is software emulation. This has huge compatibility issues because the new system is trying to pretend to be the old system but it isn't in reality it works in a completely different way. So many things that worked with the orginal end up not working like they should or not at all. Also It takes a much stronger computer than the arget hardware to do software emulation. Not to mention an emulator actually has to be made which is no easy task because you have to reverse engineer the system in question. Only recently have we gotten a good ps2 emulator on pc and we still dont a even half way decent xbox emulator. After all these years too hopefully that puts things into perspective.

So you can see its no easy task and there are plenty of reasons why those games wouldn't carry over. A game especially a console game is programmed for that specific set of hardware. Its specifically programmed to the 360 almost like DNA you couldn't just up and copy and paste that code into the xbox One and expect it to work. It wouldnt and a 360 emulator would be quite an undertaking and thats even if the xbox one was even powerful enough to handle emulating a 360.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrlash

So yeah if you knew how emulation worked you would know that it just isnt feasible to have a 360 emulator at least not yet. There's 2 types of emulation hardware and software. Hardware emulation is almost perfect  in its compatibility because well the actual hardware from the system being emulated is present. (...)

Gen007
that's exactly what I just said :) but thanks for backing me up with this more in-depth explanation!! :)
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Holy &*$# finally someone who doesn't go batshit crazy over all this. I applaud you man for keeping your cool. Good article.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

MarcRecon

Come on V, I thought I was the only one jumping the gun!!!:P

I seriously hope I'm wrong, as I've enjoyed the 360 as a platform, but Microsoft's reluctance to answer questions regarding the always online and anti-used games rumors make me believe they will follow through with such plans. Their decision to focus on TV rather than games also turned me off quite a bit, as has the news of Kinect being a mandatory feature. 

At this point Microsoft needs to do a lot to convince me to ever pick up this console.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrlash
Holy &*$# finally someone who doesn't go batshit crazy over all this. I applaud you man for keeping your cool. Good article. Ghost_702
wow ... thanks!! :) I thought I was the only one out there who doesn't think that reveal was worse than black plague ;)
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
I'm sorry but needing the console to connect to the internet AT ALL is still just as bad as always needing it connected.
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

E3 is Microsoft's last chance. If they blow this, their console is in grave danger.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a2eb908da4
deactivated-608a2eb908da4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-608a2eb908da4
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

well, what can I say - you hit the nail on the head :) Many of the best ones WILL eventually be ported over to X1 - I never said they wouldn't be :)mrlash

and I'll be asked to pay for them again if I want to play them on the X1. a bunch of anti-customer BS here. Its not like I'm asking them to switch disc types or cartridge types for free.

It'll be the exact same thing 8 years from now when PS5 and Xbox *whatever* are announced. "But, bbbb-but, we need to switch technology!! Its too hard".

Lesson learned here. Never buy anything that doesn't allow me to retain ownership.

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

Excellent writeup.  Better than many actual gaming sites.

mrlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrlash

Excellent writeup.  Better than many actual gaming sites.

crusadernm
wow ... thanks!! :) you really think so? I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd disagree (as evidenced by comments under that piece of text and comments on reddit) ... but thanks anway! I'm definitely glad YOU liked it! :)