Xbox One - 500 GB HD is small and cheap.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

I have 36 gb left on mine and I have two shows, maybe 10 games and the apps. This New Xbox is looking cheaper and cheaper the more I look at it. With the size of the operating system, the size of the games , this thing is a a cheap joke. For example, MGS4 which is a 10 rated game on this site is 50 GB. Their using the cheaper video card its not bad but not great, cheaper ram DDR3 instead of DDR5..PS4 is rumored to have a "terabyte"oh well whats the point they will never listen to what people really want. Its a cash cow.

Kaizorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kaizorn
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts

I have 36 gb left on mine and I have two shows, maybe 10 games and the apps. This New Xbox is looking cheaper and cheaper the more I look at it. With the size of the operating system, the size of the games , this thing is a a cheap joke. For example, MGS4 which is a 10 rated game on this site is 50 GB. Their using the cheaper video card its not bad but not great, cheaper ram DDR3 instead of DDR5..PS4 is rumored to have a "terabyte"oh well whats the point they will never listen to what people really want. Its a cash cow.

XspidervenomX
And yet, I will still buy one :(
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

I think you can use a USB HDD to move things around to free space on the internal HDD.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

I think you can use a USB HDD to move things around to free space on the internal HDD.

xhawk27
Yeah they do allow the use of external storage, but what irritates me the most is they made the internal 500GB drive proprietary. So if the HDD fails, you can't just buy a new one for 50 bucks, instead you will need to send your console to MS and pay them 100+ dollars to fix the darn thing and the one you get back won't even have a 1yr warranty on the new drive.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

XspidervenomX
i have a 500gb hard drive on this laptop, which i use to game with, and i have only had it for just under a year now. the hard drive is already maxed out with steam games and i actually had to uninstal about 6-7 of them just to make enough room (60gb) to record fraps PC gaming videos. the bottom line of this "integrated and non iupgradable 500gb HDD" is that it is just flat out too small. this is especially true given the fact that the games are going to be much large is size on the next gen consoles. this is yet another complete fail on the part of microsoft.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

nightshade869

Yeah they do allow the use of external storage, but what irritates me the most is they made the internal 500GB drive proprietary. So if the HDD fails, you can't just buy a new one for 50 bucks, instead you will need to send your console to MS and pay them 100+ dollars to fix the darn thing and the one you get back won't even have a 1yr warranty on the new drive.

Yeah but drives so last more than one year though. It sucks having it proprietary though/

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

MS claims they researched and did calculations determining 500 was enough. what BS. it should be no less then a terabyte.

sapphire54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sapphire54
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

I just play games on my console - 500 is more than enough. But I think it's too small in terms of being a 'next gen' 500 is becoming too small in terms of people's digital lifestyles. I can't image 500 being enough in like 7 years.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
500 is to small. 1tb min. At least it supports usb3.0 right? Hope it's not like stupid 360 USB restrictions
sapphire54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sapphire54
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

MS claims they researched and did calculations determining 500 was enough. what BS. it should be no less then a terabyte.

BLAS1AN

Think this says a lot about what MS thinks it's console's shelf life is.

Avatar image for RumblSmoothSkin
RumblSmoothSkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RumblSmoothSkin
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts
I remember when I thought 32mb was alot. :) I do agree, when you are required to install games...500gb doesn't cut the mustard this day in age.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

So? It supports external storage, like Wii U. Just buy a $50 1TB usb hdd on black friday (or actually you can get them close to $60-70 most days) and you're good.

They're shipping a smaller hard drive probably to reduce costs. God forbid these major companies from trying to get profit from what they sell, its not like they have anything to do with that money.

500GB is probably more than good enuff for most users, and you can easily just uninstall X1 games if you don't play them often anymore and Microsoft has already said you will be able to play games while they are installing, so I really see no issue with this. Don't use that 30GB game anymore? Delete it. Want to play it randomly six months later but don't want to wait for an install? You don't have to.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

sapphire54

They'll probably just replace the X1's 500GB HDD with a 1TB HDD a year after launch, just like they constantly upped the 360 HDD space instead of doing actual price drops. This doesn't say anything about what they think about a console's "shelf life" at all. Simply introduce a cheaper to make model at first, then slowly pack more into it (more HDD space, maybe few games, etc) in bundles and new SKUs over time to keep interest in it alive.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
that's why i won't get one
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I was thinking the cheap model will be 500GB while the slightly expensive model would be like 750GB. Meh.....we have a couple more weeks to put these speculations to rest.

TEX1251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TEX1251
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
I didn't think they were going to come out with two models. But they might have an ace up their sleeve.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="sapphire54"]

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

bonesawisready5

They'll probably just replace the X1's 500GB HDD with a 1TB HDD a year after launch, just like they constantly upped the 360 HDD space instead of doing actual price drops. This doesn't say anything about what they think about a console's "shelf life" at all. Simply introduce a cheaper to make model at first, then slowly pack more into it (more HDD space, maybe few games, etc) in bundles and new SKUs over time to keep interest in it alive.

i agree but dont you think MS is trying to get you to buy there branded hard drives?

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

I just play games on my console - 500 is more than enough. But I think it's too small in terms of being a 'next gen' 500 is becoming too small in terms of people's digital lifestyles. I can't image 500 being enough in like 7 years.

sapphire54
Not when every game has to be installed...
rhodes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 rhodes1
Member since 2004 • 1488 Posts

[QUOTE="XspidervenomX"]

Kaizorn

And yet, I will still buy one :(

That is because you are a Microsoft employee, nice post count and all of them are spreading Xbox One propaganda.

Dumb Bastard.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="sapphire54"]

BLAS1AN

i agree but dont you think MS is trying to get you to buy there branded hard drives?

With X1, no? The HDD isn't removable at all so they don't appear to have plans for MS branded drives at all since it supports external ones.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

So? It supports external storage, like Wii U. Just buy a $50 1TB usb hdd on black friday (or actually you can get them close to $60-70 most days) and you're good.

They're shipping a smaller hard drive probably to reduce costs. God forbid these major companies from trying to get profit from what they sell, its not like they have anything to do with that money.

500GB is probably more than good enuff for most users, and you can easily just uninstall X1 games if you don't play them often anymore and Microsoft has already said you will be able to play games while they are installing, so I really see no issue with this. Don't use that 30GB game anymore? Delete it. Want to play it randomly six months later but don't want to wait for an install? You don't have to.

bonesawisready5

I believe the issue is the fact many people put there whole entire music collection on there systems so they can do the in game music, plus people have films downloaded on them and what ever else, now that you have to install your game completely to the harddrive is crazy, the real part of people being angry is that the 500gb harddrive can't be changed, so now you have this big box having to be on top of your cable box and your telling me that i've got to then by an external harddrive to go next to it to, instead of just changing the 500gb one to a bigger one. all there doing is making more money because what they'll do is produce a official microsoft hardrive clip on and make more money. but will see how it pans out depends how big the games are going to be.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

ok

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

BLAS1AN
They are also making kinect mandatory. They dont really do any research into what customers want, it's all about making money.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

bezza2011

I believe the issue is the fact many people put there whole entire music collection on there systems so they can do the in game music, plus people have films downloaded on them and what ever else, now that you have to install your game completely to the harddrive is crazy, the real part of people being angry is that the 500gb harddrive can't be changed, so now you have this big box having to be on top of your cable box and your telling me that i've got to then by an external harddrive to go next to it to, instead of just changing the 500gb one to a bigger one. all there doing is making more money because what they'll do is produce a official microsoft hardrive clip on and make more money. but will see how it pans out depends how big the games are going to be.

You're making something out of nothing. If you are allowed to buy a non-MS USB HDD for cheaper why are you so upset at the theory (unconfirmed btw) of MS selling Xbox branded USB HDD? No one would be making you buy a theoretical over priced Xbox branded drive, now would they?

The hard drive can't be changed, but can be ADDED to. What's the difference? If anything its good coz it gives you more storage. If you swapped out that 500GB internal drive for a 1TB one then that 500GB would be useless, whereas if you add a 1TB USD drive in ADDITION to the 500GB internal, you've got 1.5TB.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

there is going to be enough room fro like 80 percent of people. for us, its simple as deleting a older game you havent played in a while and installing a new one. if pressing a button is oo difficult then purchase and 1b exernal usb drive because hey cost like 70 bucks

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

20GB (14GB in reality) was small and cheap even in 2005.

You can't even remove the hard drive on the one? What if I wanted to install an SSD?

thegaminggoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thegaminggoose
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
I made a parody of the executives' discussion. Let me know what you think please. I think I hit some of what everyone has mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJR7fngkg94
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Has this been confirmed yet?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xhawk27

Sony is trying to keep cost down so I expect them to have a 500gb HDD too. 

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

For most people, it will probably be enough.

Hell, I have a 500 GB PS3, with literally hundreds of games installed, and I have yet to run out of space.

Not when every game has to be installed...jeremiah06
Then delete older installs, or add external HD.

DaDukies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaDukies
Member since 2003 • 5668 Posts
its crazy to me that 500 gigs is considered "small" nowadays....but when you think about the size of these games and the fact that they NEED to be installed, i suppose it's true :|
TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

Since its 500 GB cloud storage couldnt they sell extra storage without having to buy a whole new console just the space

Mr720fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr720fan
Member since 2013 • 2795 Posts

XspidervenomX

external HDD? im sure MS will have solutions for storage, and PS4 will have 500GB, no way 1 terabyte.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Gotta tell you, 500 sounds small for a console in which you have to install games.
FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
Keep in mind that this is just the "first" ONE to roll out. The arcade version if you will. As always they will have the "Elite" or "Premium" version available and should keep everyone happy that needs a bigger drive.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#37 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

I agree.  There are somethings about the hardware I'm not too keen on and wish they would increase the Harddrive space slong with choice of graphics and DDRAM.  But I will wait for several months before taking the plunge.  CNET should have a good review of the hardware / software after the release ( along with a console comparison with PS4).  I'll wait for that before I release my bucks.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates

Why am I reminded of this quote? But I agree 500GB is a little small if installing games will be mandatory for it. If this thing wasn't such a train-wreck as it currently seems to be, I would consider paying an extra $180 for 4TB of storage. 

ram192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ram192
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

500 gb hd, is not big enough, stop pissing about microsoft, and just put at least 1 tb drive in xboxone.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

xhawk27
There will probably be a cloud option as well like the XBox 360 has. Still, they should have put in a Terabyte HDD because of the mandatory installs. Most games will be 15-25GB in size I'm thinking. We still don't know if there will be any kind of XBLA for the XBox One in the future.