Xbox Live Setup Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

So I just got an Xbox 360, but I can't get Xbox Live right now. I have a Linksys router, and I thought maybe it would be enough to give Wi-fi whatever to the 360, but I guess the 360 doesn't have a receptor built in? So do I only have two choices (connect the ethernet cable to a modem or router, or to get a Wireless Network Adaptor)? I really want Xbox Live.

Blind-Future

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Blind-Future
Member since 2005 • 1804 Posts
Afaik, yes, they're your only two options. Personally, I'd go down the ethernet route. It'll cost you a lot less
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thequietguy

Afaik, yes, they're your only two options. Personally, I'd go down the ethernet route. It'll cost you a lot lessBlind-Future

Thank you. However, I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to reach my room, where the router is. Can I use any ethernet cable for the 360? Also, is there any such thing as an ethernet extension cable? Maybe I can use two ethernet cables to plug from the living room to my room. I don't want to pay $100 for a Wireless Network Adaptor.

Blind-Future

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blind-Future
Member since 2005 • 1804 Posts

[QUOTE="Blind-Future"]Afaik, yes, they're your only two options. Personally, I'd go down the ethernet route. It'll cost you a lot lessthequietguy

Thank you. However, I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to reach my room, where the router is. Can I use any ethernet cable for the 360? Also, is there any such thing as an ethernet extension cable? Maybe I can use two ethernet cables to plug from the living room to my room. I don't want to pay $100 for a Wireless Network Adaptor.

I used two 10m ethernet cables to reach my room. Cost me less than £10

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
this really at a question u aready know the deal 100 new 70 in used game store 40 on ebay cords are better anyway give a better singlal. and depending where and how your house set up u wont get good signal
ish27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ish27
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts
There's a third option as well, that not may people know about (which surprises me). If you have a laptop that is connected to your router via WiFi, you can use the laptop kind of like a router. All you have to do is plug the ethernet cord from your 360 to the laptop, and bridge the connection. It takes about 30 seconds to do, but the only problem is that you can't use your laptop to surf the web.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thequietguy
[QUOTE="thequietguy"]

[QUOTE="Blind-Future"]Afaik, yes, they're your only two options. Personally, I'd go down the ethernet route. It'll cost you a lot lessBlind-Future

I used two 10m ethernet cables to reach my room. Cost me less than £10

So you have an ethernet extension cable? How do you get one?
INLANDEMPIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 INLANDEMPIRE
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts
You can also go to a computer place that makes strands of cable for you, wich ever the length you need,i have a 70 foot cable
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts
Wal Mart sells 25, 50 and I believe 100 foot ethernet cables and they're realtively inexpensive. Probably be cheaper there than raido shack or someplace like that.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thequietguy

Wal Mart sells 25, 50 and I believe 100 foot ethernet cables and they're realtively inexpensive. Probably be cheaper there than raido shack or someplace like that.decepticondevil

Thank you very much. I will go check it out.

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thequietguy

You can also go to a computer place that makes strands of cable for you, wich ever the length you need,i have a 70 foot cable INLANDEMPIRE

Thank you, all of you. I can finally get Xbox Live! When I get the gold subscription card.