Xbox Live Help.... Please???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leefuller89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 leefuller89
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Right so i've looked on various advice sites, and none have worked so far... so i was wondering if someone on here could help... i'm trying to avoid laying out for a xbox 360 wireless adapter or about 15m of network cable... so i'm wanting to connect my xbox to my laptop, and use xbox live through a shared connection.. i've tried everything i can think of, and it still doesn't work... grrr... please help.. Thanks
my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

If you want to avoid having wireless AND wires I don't know if anyone here can help. It's either one or the other. My setup is thus: cable modem -> wireless router -> wireless laptop -> Xbox wired into router. Is the inlet of your internet connection far from your TV? You def need a router either way.

Billiejoe415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Billiejoe415
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i dont have that problem or have i had that but i think u should use ure laptop close to ure xbox then plug in the cord that was given to u when u bought ure xbox. thats the only thing i can think of... good luck. :s

MaxXxKRISHxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MaxXxKRISHxX
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

at the moment i'm connected to live through my laptop with an ethernet cable and it took like 2 mins to do. i looked at a couple of youtube videos to learn how to do it , give it a go if you haven't

Bobman_jct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bobman_jct
Member since 2007 • 344 Posts

I do this with mine - Though I use a desktop PC. You need to connect it via the ethernet cable, then bridge that connection to the connection with which your laptop connects, in the 'manage network connections' section.

Then, set up your xbox to wired connection, and try to sign in to live.

If you can't, then go to test connection. Wait a while, after it has tested it MAY work, so try signing in again.

If it only got to IP Address then stopped, you need to give your xbox a manual IP address under options, same for DNS, etc. I can't be bothered to explain unless you absoloutely need me to, justy write back to see if this works.

leefuller89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 leefuller89
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It fails when checking the DNS... (for internet) an i've tried everything I can... it gives it a IP address no problem... I've opened various ports that I've been told too... any detailed information about resolving the DNS would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Bobman_jct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bobman_jct
Member since 2007 • 344 Posts

Ok, what you're gonna want to do is go into your router settings, and find the DNS addresses there.

They should look like IP addresses, and there should be two of them.

The first one is the address with which your router tries to connect to the internet, the second is a backup, for if the first fails. You need to put the exact same two addresses into the Xbox, so it knows where to send its "internets." That SHOULD work, but again say if there are any more problems. OR if it works, actually. :)