Xbox 360 worst hardware console of all time?

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1449 Posts

I have a love/ hate relationship with this system but ultimately I have to admit that hardware wise this has got to be one of the most poorly constructed console of all time. My 360 isn't reading discs and I even bought one of those DVD disc cleaner but since it can't even read discs in the first place that disc cleaner is essentially just paper weight at this point.

In comparison I have an original Xbox system I bought day 1 LAUNCH DAY that still works fine without any issues or problems. With the 360 I've lost 2 consoles due to red rings and this is the 3rd I've now lost due to not reading discs.

Laughably I had a chat with my sister yesterday because she bought a new 360 console a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I asked her why and she said......................... her xbox 360 isn't reading discs and I revealed to her mine as well.

I mean Microsoft should be forever ashamed of themselves building a fine a console but doing it dirty with poor design. Trying to call xbox customer service felt like playing one of those old adventure games like Mist or Riven, had this dumb automated lady on the phone.

And while it's not relatively super expensive to buy a used 360 that's still an additional $60 (what gamestop is currently charging) that I have to pay that I shouldn't be. With a console like this that is known to have a high failure rate I don't know that I can feel comfortable buying from just a regular person on ebay or amazon (although I guess they do offer returns and stuff) *BIG SIGH*

Rant........Ended

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15466 Posts

it was poorly built and tested.

on paper it was a really well designed and thought out console. the CPU and GPU design, the unified memory setup, the overall architecture was great.

but they pinched pennies wherever they could on the BOM and construction. especially with the first model.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 11401 Posts

lets pretend Sony consoles don't fail either.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1449 Posts

@xhawk27: crazy to think that it's 2019 and fanboy's panties can still get bunched up when someone is having a complaint about a personal matter just because your console of preference is being talked about negatively.

Did you give me money to buy my 360? No? well I can complain about it all I want without having to mention the anything about Sony

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 841 Posts

I still have 3 working 360's in my house. Haven't had a problem with any of mine since 2008 or so.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1541 Posts

It definitely had a rough start, but I feel like the later waves were fine.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6518 Posts

I enjoy the Xbox brand. I have 3 Xbox 360's consoles an original design Xbox 360 phat, Xbox 360 S console Gears of war edition. Xbox 360 E console.

Before that I when thought 2 original design Xbox 360 phats Which died. My current Xbox 360 phat is from the last production run before the Xbox 360 slim took over the market. While the Xbox 360 superslim is for When the other 2 eventually die.

Xbox 360 was rushed out to market to beat the Fabled Playstation 3. So yes the Xbox 360 is the worst reliable hardware ever. Microsoft took a finance bath to repair and replace the consoles with RRod.

But since Microsoft is too big to fail. Here we are awaiting Xbox Scarlet in November 2020

But Xbox 360 phat is the worst hardware fail rate out of the gate.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4351 Posts

Only started getting better from Jasper forward. They just cut corners and must of been super dumb thinking that a tiny heatsink without a fan on it would actually work well.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 821 Posts

Ive had my Xbox 360 since 2012 and it still works. Though it was the first black model Xbox 360.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5365 Posts

PS3 and X360 both had a ton of hardware failures. It was a bad time for console hardware.

I know the fat PS3s had a lot fo trouble with cooling. I had one fail.

I don't like the design perspective of 'make it small and cheap out on the cooling'. Seems like a recurring theme in console hardware design.

Personally I can't wait until we ditch the disc drive as well. Cut out as many moving parts as possible because those are usually what fails first. Fans should be the only moving parts and pls don't cheap out on the cooling. Nothing worse than a screaming loud console with the fans at max speed and the disc drive chirping.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5345 Posts

Why wouldn’t you just play your 360 games on an Xbox One?

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1541 Posts

I think both 360 and PS3 had a rough start. 360 had the red ring and failing hardware and PS3 had overheating problems.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 4229 Posts

Mine still works fine....and it was a rare launch console that didn't rrod. My daughter uses it for Minecraft nowadays.