Xbox 360 vs. Slim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

So the holidays are fast approaching and I've been contemplating getting a 360 slim. I have the regular 360, but this is also my third console, and I'm beginning to see the warning signs that the ol rrod might not be too far down the road. My only issue is during the last holiday season I received a 120gb hard drive. As of right now I mostly use the space to install games so I can prolong the life of my console, but that's only delaying the inevitable. Would it be wise to sacrifice my hard drive space and jump on one of the good sales on a slim? Is there any way I would be able to transfer some data from the old hard drive (I do have at least one game plus dlc for Fallout 3 and GTA IV)?

andrew7785

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 andrew7785
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I believe there is a data transfer cable available that allows you to transfer data from your old hard drive to your new hard drive. I think the new slim models come with the cable.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

My slim didn't come with a transfer cable, and neither did the new 250 GB hard drive. Though, I'm not sure if you can get a transfer kit/hard drive bundle or not. I've read some posts from folks who said the transfer kit came with their new hard drives. The transfer kits go for $20 at most places. You can choose what data to transfer, which should make it easier to transfer exactly what you want, if your space is limited.

Avatar image for Victors_Valiant
Victors_Valiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Victors_Valiant
Member since 2010 • 398 Posts
You can just use a USB drive to transfer files also. I used an external hard drive to transfer my profile from my old Xbox 360 to my new Xbox 360 Slim.
seimagery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 seimagery
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

The slim is awesome man, I just bought one a few days ago after my original RROD on me 2 years ago. I love it.

I have seen youtube vids showing how to install your old harddrive into the new slim model, pretty ghetto but seemed pretty simple.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Since both systems use a 2.5" SATA drive you might be able to physically take apart your current 360 drive and install it into your new system - there are videos about it on youtube.
Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
Here when the slims first came out, the stores here offered a free data cable, but i've never heard of getting them with the actual console. Maybe you confused that. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay though!
jay051684

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jay051684
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

Just got a 250gb Slim today, and its a lot faster than my original xbox that got the RROD on Thanksgiving. I picked up the transfer cable for $20....Kind of a rip-off but it was worth it.