Xbox 360 Slim Hard Drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts

If Microsoft wants to slim down the Xbox 360 and let current Xbox 360 owners use their hard drives on the new one, then I don't foresee any other alternative form factor than this one: http://img692.imageshack.us/i/360slim.jpg/

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
[QUOTE="pdevil21"]

If Microsoft wants to slim down the Xbox 360 and let current Xbox 360 owners use their hard drives on the new one, then I don't foresee any other alternative form factor than this one: http://img692.imag eshack.us/i/360slim.jpg/

what are the chances of Microsoft coming up with a slim?
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts

I think from the supposed leaked motherboard screenshots a few months back, there was discussion of onboard flash memory, expandable through USB flash sticks. If I was going to keep backwards compatibility with the old HDD's, I'd have them mounted upright and hidden internally in a drive bay. That seems like the most slimming design to me.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I think from the supposed leaked motherboard screenshots a few months back, there was discussion of onboard flash memory, expandable through USB flash sticks. If I was going to keep backwards compatibility with the old HDD's, I'd have them mounted upright and hidden internally in a drive bay. That seems like the most slimming design to me.

Gregoroth
Thats assuming those mother board pics were really real ... to be honest I cant see it, microsoft didnt bother with slimming down the original xbox even as sony slimmed the ps2 and got massive sales for it ... I cant see them bothering this time either. Besides which it doesnt even NEED to be slimmed, a smaller AC brick would be nice but that aside I dont see the point the consoles already slightly smaller than the slim ps3 as is
T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

The reason they did not try and "outslim" the ps2 with the original xbox is because they did not own/control all the hardware internal to the machine and new no matter what they did they would never make a profit on the system. This is why they abandoned the xbox so quickly and premtively started this generation. MS has already accomplished their goal for this generation by eating into Sony's market share domination (thanks Nintendo as well). Right now the home console market is about as healthy as it could be with all three companies now making money and each having a pretty decent market share.

I also find it interesting when people assumed that MS would jump the gun on the next generation as well...the only reason they did that for this generation was because they new they would never be able to turn a profit on xbox, which they have been doing on 360 from very early in it's life cycle.

SteelTiger360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#6 SteelTiger360
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

that was an interesting photo but I still don't think they're going to slim down the 360 anytime soon, but if that's the case they should find a way to incorporate their wireless adapter into the system if they do go for remodeling skus.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

as sales figures decline due to possible market saturation, a slim console is the perfect choice, especially with NATAL on the horizon. with family friendly control abilities comign from NATAL, a slimmer and lighter console would be much less intimidating in the same psychology that the Wii was brought about. plus who else here in on a launch day console? i am and i doubt it'll last a few more years after it has already been replaced once on day one, and repaired twice! (no other console i have ever owned has been sent for repair)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Seriously guys, that console already heats up like it just hit puberty. It hardly needs a smaller case.
SteelTiger360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9 SteelTiger360
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts
Seriously guys, that console already heats up like it just hit puberty. It hardly needs a smaller case.Black_Knight_00
lmao good one
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
That's photoshopped.
xxxchopsakexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxxchopsakexxx
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

That's photoshopped.  DJ_Magneto

Yeah that does seem shopped.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

That's photoshopped.  DJ_Magneto

Thought it was the real deal initially but I'd be inclined to agree that theres something fishy about it...

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

yeah.....and i thought u guys were smart people. that photo is clearly 'shopped to the max. it will look more like a cross between the wii and the hd-dvd player for 360. mark my words....

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
Seriously guys, that console already heats up like it just hit puberty. It hardly needs a smaller case.Black_Knight_00
Add active cooling and a couple small fans to pull in air and push it out. Heat issue fixed.
DaveyBoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaveyBoy123
Member since 2004 • 2216 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"]That's photoshopped.

Jesus! look at that disk drive! its huge. are we gonna be putting records in there?
dorkvoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dorkvoid
Member since 2010 • 90 Posts

if you look at the sizes of the details it becomes very clearly shopped.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

maybe we'll get lucking and get an XBOX 360 XL. 90% bigger. Still no blu ray, but the games would now come on LaserDisc sized DVDs.

ld

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Common sense guys...Even though this is clearly a photoshopped image, the "slim" console is smaller but the disc drive is the same size.
Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

Haha, in all seriousness I don't see the point. The Wii is tiny, but the 360 isn't too Bulky. I just never liked the beveled design. The look of the 360 is nowhere near as sleek as the Wii or the PS3.

spue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 spue
Member since 2006 • 473 Posts

maybe for slim the xbox will always be laying down and then you just put the hard drive on top of it or somthiin

Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

maybe for slim the xbox will always be laying down and then you just put the hard drive on top of it or somthiin

spue
I hope not. I like it setting vertically, that way it takes up less space on the entertainment center I'm using.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Seriously guys, that console already heats up like it just hit puberty. It hardly needs a smaller case.Sins-of-Mosin
Add active cooling and a couple small fans to pull in air and push it out. Heat issue fixed.

And noise issue made worse.
maybe we'll get lucking and get an XBOX 360 XL. 90% bigger. Still no blu ray, but the games would now come on LaserDisc sized DVDs.Heirren
lol I'm still waiting for a console with vinile-roms

ninjanutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ninjanutta
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

If the pictures of the motherboard were real and i beleive they were,it had two sata ports inside which suggests that the hdd will be inside,along the lines of whats in the ps3,we will just have to wait till e3 and find out for sure but im betting on a slim bundled with natal ready for october.Bring on E3,not long now,a few weeks i bthink?anyone know the exact date?

Enforcer246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Enforcer246
Member since 2008 • 601 Posts

[QUOTE="Sins-of-Mosin"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Add active cooling and a couple small fans to pull in air and push it out. Heat issue fixed.Black_Knight_00

And noise issue made worse.
maybe we'll get lucking and get an XBOX 360 XL. 90% bigger. Still no blu ray, but the games would now come on LaserDisc sized DVDs.Heirren
lol I'm still waiting for a console with vinile-roms

You mean vinyl?

pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts

You guys realize that no one claimed the image was real right? I thought it was kind of a given that the image was photoshoped...

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

You mean vinyl?

Enforcer246

Yeah man, my bad, we call it vinile here lol

kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts
[QUOTE="Gregoroth"] the consoles already slightly smaller than the slim ps3 as ispenpusher
What 360 are YOU looking at? I have a 360, PS3 slim and a black Wii all side by side and the 360 is like 2x-3x the mass of the PS3 slim. A 360 slim would be awesome and I'de reserve that in a heartbeat.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

They could make a bit less wide i guess and eliminate a bit of that part right after the HDD that is taken up by nothing, you know right after where the HDD inserts

and they could cut all memory card slots and add 2 USB slots (totalling 4 in total on the front underneath the disc drive, 2 USB for USB drives, 2 USB for controllers) and cut the 2 usb on the side (since you're putting four usb under the disc drive) and make the green ring a bit smaller, and push it closer to the Disc drive

give me a 360 Mini like this, with a quieter disc drive, all HDD compadible and 30-40% smaller, sell the core/arcade for $100-$150 and i'll buy it, slap my 120GB HDD on it, and if it has WiFi (B/G only so people still go out and buy the N adaptor) i'd be happy

I think they should slim it down, gives them a chance to FULLY redesign the motherboard, put screws where things need screws, give better ventaliation and make it consume even less power, hopefully making RRoD and failure rates plummet to very low levels

plus if they released a newer looking 360, and said it was all fixed, no more RRoD or that it wasn't more than 2% likely, it could drive sales (both with customers still on the fence and customers alienated by earlier 360s breaking on them)

i'd love a Lite 360 personally, and i hope they put out one at e3

a slim 360 Arcade for $149 and Elite with Natal this fall for $299? plus gives them a chance to redesign using cheaper parts to cut costs even more

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

So how likely do you guys think a slim at e3 is?

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

I would guess the slim version will have a DVD/CD drive like that of the Wii and PS3 where the tray doesn't eject out but is built in. Just pop in the disc and you're good. No more disc-chainsawing action. And it would also be nice if they did away with the noise. The PS3 is silent, the Wii is silent, and I dont see why the slim version shouldn't be as well. Now if all those things could be implemented and do away with the overheating issues.. we'll be good. And I would definitely buy one.