xbox 360 slim ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

themarksman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 themarksman2
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

If i get a new xbox slim with the 4gb hard drive can i remove it and use the 100gb hard drive from my elite? If not can I at least use the transfer cord, which transfers the data from one hard drive to another, as a bridge to store information on the xbox 360 slim?

Botodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Botodile
Member since 2010 • 432 Posts

Well I know that the old hard drives aren't compatible with the new 360. I don't know if the transfer cable would work though.

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

If i get a new xbox slim with the 4gb hard drive can i remove it and use the 100gb hard drive from my elite? If not can I at least use the transfer cord, which transfers the data from one hard drive to another, as a bridge to store information on the xbox 360 slim?

themarksman2

Old hard drives do not work with the new systems. And I don't know which transfer cord you're using, so I can't answer the second question.

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

Yes, you can transfer, but it must always be to a larger HD. I would suggest that you use a USB to transfer your saves and such to the slim instead.

themarksman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themarksman2

Yes, you can transfer, but it must always be to a larger HD. I would suggest that you use a USB to transfer your saves and such to the slim instead.

Paynee
That's not what i'm wanting. I would like to just leave the cord attached to the elite hard drive and the usb side connected to the new 360 slim, a bridge, between the two so that i can use the old hard drive to store information on it while i use the 360 slim. And does anyone know how big of and external device can the new 360 slim handle? Cuz i can buy a terabyte for 100 bucks instead of using 250gb for 130 bucks.
IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IzzieWaru

[QUOTE="Paynee"]

themarksman2

That's not what i'm wanting. I would like to just leave the cord attached to the elite hard drive and the usb side connected to the new 360 slim, a bridge, between the two so that i can use the old hard drive to store information on it while i use the 360 slim. And does anyone know how big of and external device can the new 360 slim handle? Cuz i can buy a terabyte for 100 bucks instead of using 250gb for 130 bucks.

There's a limit to the amount of external space the 360 will support. You'll have to format it to FAT32, which means you'll only get 32 gigs out of the hard drive. A terabyte would be a complete waste.

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

^^This is the first I've heard that you can use an external HD, other than what MS provides?

I got nothing...

themarksman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 themarksman2

[QUOTE="themarksman2"][QUOTE="Paynee"]

IzzieWaru

There's a limit to the amount of external space the 360 will support. You'll have to format it to FAT32, which means you'll only get 32 gigs out of the hard drive. A terabyte would be a complete waste.

i don't think that is totally true. i believe that i can make it NFTS from an apple computer and then it will allow me to have over 32 gigs.
IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IzzieWaru

[QUOTE="IzzieWaru"]

[QUOTE="themarksman2"] That's not what i'm wanting. I would like to just leave the cord attached to the elite hard drive and the usb side connected to the new 360 slim, a bridge, between the two so that i can use the old hard drive to store information on it while i use the 360 slim. And does anyone know how big of and external device can the new 360 slim handle? Cuz i can buy a terabyte for 100 bucks instead of using 250gb for 130 bucks.themarksman2

i don't think that is totally true. i believe that i can make it NFTS from an apple computer and then it will allow me to have over 32 gigs.

If you know something I don't from reading 20 different sites saying FAT32 is required, and then actually doing it myself, all the power to you.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
[QUOTE="IzzieWaru"]

[QUOTE="themarksman2"] That's not what i'm wanting. I would like to just leave the cord attached to the elite hard drive and the usb side connected to the new 360 slim, a bridge, between the two so that i can use the old hard drive to store information on it while i use the 360 slim. And does anyone know how big of and external device can the new 360 slim handle? Cuz i can buy a terabyte for 100 bucks instead of using 250gb for 130 bucks.themarksman2

FAT32 can support up to 2TB max (don't know what the other guy was talkin bout). if u format ur hard drive in NTFS, the xbox 360 won't be able to read it. it can only read FAT32 or HSF+ (mac file system)
The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

Lemme set everyone straight right now.

http://blogs.chron.com/gamehacks/2010/07/picking_up_an_xbox_360_slim_re.html

I have personally removed the 250 GB HDD out of the casing of my old Xbox 360, and seamlessly installed it into my Xbox 360 Slim Arcade.

I now have a 360 with my old 250 GB HDD, plus 4 GB of extra flash storage. All for $200. Pretty sweet.

All you need are Torx T6 and Torx T10 screw drivers.

This does void your warranty on the HDD, but the truth is...they were going to make you buy a new one anyways...plus charge you for a transfer cable...what a joke.

Good luck guys and enjoy!