xbox 360 price cut on august 8th...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

according to ign, there might be a $50 dollar price drop on one of the 360 sku's...

i'm hoping its the elite, but i'm guessing its the core, so it will appeal to the non-gamers because its the same price as the wii...

Link

Limonadi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#2 Limonadi
Member since 2006 • 982 Posts
lol PWN3D!
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wii60_lukatoll

lol PWN3D!Limonadi

whaaa?

axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts

yeah what ever, the real price drop wont come before next year. why lower the price now, knowing you will sell millions this holiday thanks to halo3,gta4. theyll do it mid next year

fazio93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 160

#6 fazio93
Member since 2005 • 2940 Posts

yeah what ever, the real price drop wont come before next year. why lower the price now, knowing you will sell millions this holiday thanks to halo3,gta4. theyll do it mid next year

axes03

ur right, never thought about that

TIMMY01978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TIMMY01978
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts

Obviously you know nothing about sales. Iv'e been working in sales almost all my life. It's all about Momentum, right now Sony has it, they lowered the price $100 and they are selling like hotcakes, sales so far are about double since the price cut. Once something gets momentum it keeps going strong usually unless theres a good reason for it to stop, MS wants to steal some of that momentum. Last gen Sony crushed MS, they dont want to be in that position again.

axes03
HeirofSparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 HeirofSparda
Member since 2006 • 2458 Posts

Obviously you know nothing about sales. Iv'e been working in sales almost all my life. It's all about Momentum, right now Sony has it, they lowered the price $100 and they are selling like hotcakes, sales so far are about double since the price cut. Once something gets momentum it keeps going strong usually unless theres a good reason for it to stop, MS wants to steal some of that momentum. Last gen Sony crushed MS, they dont want to be in that position again.

[QUOTE="axes03"]

TIMMY01978

Troll much lol?

axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts
sony has momentum?hah! selling some units on amazon doesnt mean crap, AND EVERY SYSTEMS sells go up when they drop the price. 360 has been out selling the ps3 for a long time, and even with the "so called price cut" the 360 is cheaper with a better library of games, THEY DONT HAVE TO "steal" anything right now. and YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND of a franchise halo is. Halo2 alone made the original xbox profitable for that quarter. and now they have Halo and GTA comming out on the same system ON THE SAME HOLIDAY!!! that will create the huge increase in sales anyways..so why loose a extra hundred bucks on the systems youre gonna sell anyways.(a hint MS focusing on this years lineup at e3) after the holiday rush, when the sales go down they get another rush by lowering the price
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 hellfire9988
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

according to ign, there might be a $50 dollar price drop on one of the 360 sku's...

i'm hoping its the elite, but i'm guessing its the core, so it will appeal to the non-gamers because its the same price as the wii...

Link

wii60_lukatoll

Ok, if you're trying to figure out which one will get dropped, it's either the Core or the Elite. The elite is$470, for what? HDMI, and 120 GB hard drive. If it goes to $420, it will probably look alot more appealing. And MS might make more money off of it, depending on how much it costs to make the HDD. They definetly won't drop the price of the Pro, becauase if it were priced at $350, NOBODY would buy the elite, and Core owners might feel betrayed because now for $50 more, they could have gotten something SOOOO much better. EDIT: forgot to talk about core. Its probably like an 80% chance that it is the core... because then casuals/pennypinchers seeing the 360 and wii side by side might think that the 360 has more features and more games.

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

TIMMY01978

Ya momentum is key but Sony is just dumping the 60gb model rather than making it a real price cut on a permanent sku. I personally think the current sales are people going and rushing out to get the 60gb so they can have backwards compatibility with the ps2 chip. Once they run out of 60gb models it's back to 1 sku at the higher price where i'm sure sales will slump unless they start cranking out games.

I predict they'll go back to their old sales figures in a couple months when they run out of the cheaper sku

blindsight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blindsight4
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
I don't think they can make it so only 1 SKU is lowered because if you bring one price down, then the others are overpriced. Like someone said about if they lowered the premium then the additional stuff that weren't on the core would be a lot cheaper than adding it yourself if you got a core. If they lower it by 50, then they have to do it for all of them.
TIMMY01978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TIMMY01978

Troll??? I hate Sony if your calling me afanboy you are way off on that one, read my previous posts, I own a 360 have for over a year and love it. But the fact that I gotta worry about it melting down sucks, the reliability of these things are HORRIBLE, half the people I know with 360's had them die on them. Sony gives you a Blueray player and a reliable system, it's making me have second thoughts on which system I should be supporting. Sure they dont have the games that 360 does but they do have some blockbusters on the way and if sales pickupso will software support.Im just telling it like it is. Not a troll or fanboy.

[QUOTE="TIMMY01978"]

[QUOTE="axes03"]

HeirofSparda

Troll much lol?

TIMMY01978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TIMMY01978

Halo is huge yes,, but Final Fantasy is bigger and sales more copies. And PS3 also has GTA. But lets not forget about the bad press MS just got a few weeks ago because the failure rate of there system because they use such cheap parts and a bad design. The quality control is not there. Sure they extended the warranty for 3 years but who wants to go without a system while you ship it back and get it fixed, or loose there save games, or how about the people who cracked there case open to swap out a DVD drive that went bad like me, because my 360 wasn't under warranty at the time. MS sucks. Iv'e never owned a Sony system but I think I might now. And with all the bad press, then Sony dropping there price and selling 2x as many systems, yeah it's a nice start. Also it's not just Amazon, at circuit city we are selling about double the PS3's since the price drop, I am a sales manager @cc.

sony has momentum?hah! selling some units on amazon doesnt mean crap, AND EVERY SYSTEMS sells go up when they drop the price. 360 has been out selling the ps3 for a long time, and even with the "so called price cut" the 360 is cheaper with a better library of games, THEY DONT HAVE TO "steal" anything right now. and YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND of a franchise halo is. Halo2 alone made the original xbox profitable for that quarter. and now they have Halo and GTA comming out on the same system ON THE SAME HOLIDAY!!! that will create the huge increase in sales anyways..so why loose a extra hundred bucks on the systems youre gonna sell anyways.(a hint MS focusing on this years lineup at e3) after the holiday rush, when the sales go down they get another rush by lowering the priceaxes03

TIMMY01978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TIMMY01978

I meant to sal FInal Fantasy SELLS more copies.

Halo is huge yes,, but Final Fantasy is bigger and sales more copies. And PS3 also has GTA. But lets not forget about the bad press MS just got a few weeks ago because the failure rate of there system because they use such cheap parts and a bad design. The quality control is not there. Sure they extended the warranty for 3 years but who wants to go without a system while you ship it back and get it fixed, or loose there save games, or how about the people who cracked there case open to swap out a DVD drive that went bad like me, because my 360 wasn't under warranty at the time. MS sucks. Iv'e never owned a Sony system but I think I might now. And with all the bad press, then Sony dropping there price and selling 2x as many systems, yeah it's a nice start. Also it's not just Amazon, at circuit city we are selling about double the PS3's since the price drop, I am a sales manager @cc.

[QUOTE="axes03"]sony has momentum?hah! selling some units on amazon doesnt mean crap, AND EVERY SYSTEMS sells go up when they drop the price. 360 has been out selling the ps3 for a long time, and even with the "so called price cut" the 360 is cheaper with a better library of games, THEY DONT HAVE TO "steal" anything right now. and YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND of a franchise halo is. Halo2 alone made the original xbox profitable for that quarter. and now they have Halo and GTA comming out on the same system ON THE SAME HOLIDAY!!! that will create the huge increase in sales anyways..so why loose a extra hundred bucks on the systems youre gonna sell anyways.(a hint MS focusing on this years lineup at e3) after the holiday rush, when the sales go down they get another rush by lowering the priceTIMMY01978

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
Erm...did I walk into system wars?
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wii60_lukatoll
[QUOTE="TIMMY01978"]

that is a very good point...

DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
was on AOTS last night too.
just a rumour though, MS is denying it.
w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
was on AOTS last night too.
just a rumour though, MS is denying it.
DJ-PRIME90
lol........G4.
undrpsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 undrpsi
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

:roll:

Uh...I don't know what you guys sale but there is a huge thing you all are forgetting about this. The consoles LOSE money for everyone they sale. They are 'loss leaders'. You buy the console then spend (if you are like me) another $800 on games and accessories which usually have about 400% markup. I remember reading the PS3 actually costs Sony in the $600 range. The Xbox 360 (when it first came out) was in the $500 range but recently they have brought costs down to right at $200. I am not sure about the Wii...anyone?

The object is to get you to pay $60 for a new game...which (in volume) costs about $2 to make. I am fairly sure the going that Microsoft gets on the average 13%profit from all in-house titles. Sooo...1 million (halo 3) games times 60 = $60 million, time 13% = 7.8 million in profit. Well...not really but you get the idea. There is also development, testing, production, promotion, and support costs on top of that. They actually make more money but at a smaller profit percentage off 3rd party developers. They make more cause all they do is supply the SDK consoles and some development and testing support.

The "CONSOLE WARS" is really a misnomer...it should actually be a "GAME WAR" since the majority of profit comes off of the games...

This is also where my 'conspiracy theory' kicks in....All the console guys are in cahoots. They trot out incremental upgrades for every new console. This time Sony got Blu-Ray. Microsoft went with HD. They all have 70% of the same games....you put 2 and 2 together...

Jay

scottyskater77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 scottyskater77
Member since 2004 • 133 Posts

Ya momentum is key but Sony is just dumping the 60gb model rather than making it a real price cut on a permanent sku. I personally think the current sales are people going and rushing out to get the 60gb so they can have backwards compatibility with the ps2 chip. Once they run out of 60gb models it's back to 1 sku at the higher price where i'm sure sales will slump unless they start cranking out games.

I predict they'll go back to their old sales figures in a couple months when they run out of the cheaper sku

karmageddon2k4

That's one of the main reasons I went out and bought one. I never owned a PS2, so there are still a lot of games I want to play.