Xbox 360 premium or elite? (first purchase)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hawkeye1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hawkeye1987
Member since 2008 • 73 Posts

Hello everyone!

I haven't played games in quite some time and just recently I have been thinking about getting myself an Xbox 360 console. I've been doing a lot of reading these past few days especially trying to figure out if I should get an Xbox 360 premium or elite. Money isn't really an issue but is it really worth the extra 100$ for the elite? You shoud know that I am what I would call a casual gamer, I don't have an HD TV, so really I would be paying 100$ extra for a 120gb instead of 20gb HDD. What I really want to know is, apart from the hardware differences, is there a difference in performance/graphics/etc???

What do you think??

Thanks

(Games that i'm looking into: Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls IV, Fable 2 (eventually) )

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i would say get pro (premium) i have it i love it. there no difference with performance and things just elite has 120gig and is black. i rarely download anything i have like 11gigs left over. if ur going to be downloading a lot of things like arcade games, videos the u should get elite.
myreality91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 myreality91
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i have both the pro and the elite. personally i love my elite because it has the 120g hdd and its black, but i do alot of downloading. but other than that there isnt much of a difference and if you dont have a hdtv with HDMI there really isnt any need for the elite
TrueProphecy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 TrueProphecy22
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts

I'd say you would want to get the Elite. The 120GB HDD really is worth the price. I bought a launch 360 and eventually needed to shell out 180USD for a new 120GB HD because I ran out of space.

The downloadable Original Xbox and Arcade games can take up a good deal of space, even up to 5GB a game.

My 20GB was fine for the first two years, but after that, there was just too much DL content and not enough space on my HDD (And I rarely purchase anything).

I've got 30GB burned up just on less than 30 dollars worth of extra content. (Not including Shivering Isles)

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
Go Elite! That's what I have and I love it
Tyrone77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Tyrone77
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

Seriously,

Get an Elite.

120G.B may not seem needed now.... but 20G.B is NOT futureproof.

You can see Microsoft are doing a lot of things with their online service and all of that is downloaded.

buyerorseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 buyerorseller
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i own a elite it was running good for 8 months 3 red light msft has return 2 broken elite i'm waiting 3 months now for one that works....i would wait msft is commung out with there new xbox soon ..dont be a fool and get suck in the hype
Avatar image for oldschoolplayer
oldschoolplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 oldschoolplayer
Member since 2006 • 1010 Posts
Just get the pro. the xbox is not that reliable so why spend more when you will probably end up with a refurb about a year and half from now. I bought my console in May of 07 but it was made in September of 2006. What angers me is they knew there was issues with the 360 yet they continue to sell 06 units in 07. Oh enough cryin from me. Enjoy your 360. I get mine back in 3 weeks.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i'm gonna go with my initial thought....start making your own decisions?....you're the one that's going to be playing it...besides all that.....premium should be fine
Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts
get the elite. i have the pro and im dissapointed i didnt get the elite i didnt think i would need the extra space but i will once i get live.
chriscoates123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chriscoates123
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

i have just bought a xbox elite . i am still puzzled why it has 120G built in memory. what can you use it for? can you copy games onto the console and store them instead of using discs or download games from the internet? or just simple file tranfers from pc.

any help will b great as i have know clue why the memory is 6 times larger than the normal 360 version

thanks

chris

Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hulkness
Member since 2008 • 1271 Posts

Hawkeye do you think your going to want to download things? If yes get Elite if not dont get Elite.

chriscoates123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chriscoates123
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
any help anyone????

i have just bought a xbox elite . i am still puzzled why it has 120G built in memory. what can you use it for? can you copy games onto the console and store them instead of using discs or download games from the internet? or just simple file tranfers from pc.

any help will b great as i have know clue why the memory is 6 times larger than the normal 360 version

thanks

chris

chriscoates123
MattRushmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MattRushmore
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

Pro comes with around 12 gigs (8 or so are system stuff so its not a true 20).

That leaves enough memory for about 4 demos and 1 high def rental movie at one time on your system (plus any saved game progress for your games, they dont take much)

If thats not enough memory, get the elite.

diddyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 diddyj
Member since 2004 • 395 Posts
same..
Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hulkness
Member since 2008 • 1271 Posts
4 demos yeah right my premium can have like 10 demos. I have tons of demos. But I do agree movies do take alot so if you want movies go with Elite but if you rent them when your done you can delete them. I also have 3 gamer profiles so dont make it seem like premium is sub--par.
BkLiveWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BkLiveWire
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
yea go elite
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Considering how you're a casual gamer, I would say go for the premium. I have one and i'm more of a "hardcore" gamer. I've never completely filled up my hard drive. If you aren't planning to buy a ton of arcade games and tv shows from the xbox live marketplace, then it isn't worth the extra cash to get the elite.
Avatar image for SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
SH4D0W_ASSASSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
elite as they are better value for money
kielhodgins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kielhodgins
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts
premium, WHO NEEDS 120GB they should make a 60GB
Hawkeye1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hawkeye1987
Member since 2008 • 73 Posts
Well, I guess I will go for the premium. My only real concern was wether or not the elite had better overall performance/graphics. I don't think I will be downloading that much content, and if I download demos, I figure once I complete the demo, I might as well just delete it. Thanks for your replies :)
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
id say go for the elite you dont really want to buy extra space IF you fill it up
porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts

Get an elite. The 120GB is great. I have the 20GB It'll support about 15 games, about 500 songs and about 3 hours of vide. ill be needed 120 soon. I'm planning on downloading so much **** and getting so many more games.

If your the type that gets completely addicted to gaming, go for the elite.

Gytex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gytex
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts

Hello everyone!

I haven't played games in quite some time and just recently I have been thinking about getting myself an Xbox 360 console. I've been doing a lot of reading these past few days especially trying to figure out if I should get an Xbox 360 premium or elite. Money isn't really an issue but is it really worth the extra 100$ for the elite? You shoud know that I am what I would call a casual gamer, I don't have an HD TV, so really I would be paying 100$ extra for a 120gb instead of 20gb HDD. What I really want to know is, apart from the hardware differences, is there a difference in performance/graphics/etc???

What do you think??

Thanks

(Games that i'm looking into: Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls IV, Fable 2 (eventually) )

Hawkeye1987

Since you do not have HDTV, I would just get pro. HD movies and TV shows is the main reason that you will want to get an elite. XBOX originals are also take a lot of space, but the selection is limited right now, and it might be better/cheaper just buy these games on the discs anyway.

With pro you will get around 13 gigs of space. The demos are around 500mb-1.2 gb. Arcade games are 150mb at most right now. Download-able content is usually < 300mb(some multilayer maps can be up to 1 gig though).

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts
I got the Elite because of the 120gb HDD. Its worth it
Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
Get the Elite. Purely because as more games come out, so does the downloadable content. Rainbow Six's downloadable content alone takes up a gig, now add Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, even Halo and Gears Of War 1 & 2....and you're seriously looking at space issues. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or so, Microsoft cans the Premium and core systems.