xbox 360 overheating!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HFC-LUKE-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HFC-LUKE-08
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

can anybody reccomend the best way to keep my xbox360 cool and prevent it from overheating?

i have additonal fans on the back and its laying flat on a laminate wood floor

ive just started playing far cry 2 and think my 360 is due its next set of red rings :'(

Wiishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wiishy
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

I live in a small dorm, whenever I play with my Xbox 360, I turn the AC on to 60 degrees and wear a jacket. If you don't want to do that, open up your Xbox 360 and add in a water cooling unit. If you don't want to do that either, turn off your Xbox 360 after every 2 hours and let it cool down for 30 minutes.

shadow fluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shadow fluff
Member since 2003 • 661 Posts

^^^^^^^^what he said or either go buy a cooling unit from a gaming store there pretty cheap

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

turn it so that its standin up iv been doin dat since i gt my 360 nd iv neva had ne probs bt take any dics out first coz it can scratch dem

mayb buy a little desktop fan and put it directly facing da back of your xbox try ebay

kcashin
i believe the word you're searching for is 'that'
HFC-LUKE-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HFC-LUKE-08
thanks and about the fans i have on the back what do people think? some people said they will make my xbox get the RROD faster as it strains the power more and some people say it helps it keep cool so i dont know whether to take it off or not :S
Deluhathol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deluhathol
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts
About the aftermarket fans, Microsoft actually recommends not using them. Since the 360 already has fans in the back, when you add another set of fans blowing on them, it can actually DECREASE the volume of air moving through, due to the added interaction between the two sets of turbulence, which slows down overall airflow. Other than that, all I can recommend is getting it up off the floor to prevent dust getting in so much (make sure it is on a raised, hard, smooth, flat surface), with as much ventilation as possible. I should also point out that my xbox has been sitting in my poorly ventilated spot in my computer desk with absolutely no problems, even after being left running for long periods of time. To be honest, if you are experiencing any problems, it seems the 360 is on its last legs, as it should really not overheat unless it is sitting on carpet etc, but the only thing I can think of that seems as if it could be causing it is the aftermarket fans you are using; give it a trial without them and see what happens, hopefully that might help. All that stuff people say about which way up your xbox should be is a load; while the guy above just recommended putting it vertically, mine has been sitting horizontally since I got it with no problems, it really doesn't make a difference. Hope this helps.
Shmoe82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Shmoe82
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts
I have used cold packs on electronics to lower them temp. You just have to make sure there is no excess water from the freezer on them when using on a game system; also, they should not be in a place that may block the fans or air vents.
HFC-LUKE-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HFC-LUKE-08
Deluhathol thanks... i had my xbox off for about half an hour and just took the fans off the back and underneath was red hot, now moved my xbox off the floor and on my computer desk with nothing near it also put 4 dvd cases on each corner just supporting it a few cm off the desk, my xbox isnt showing that many problems just lags every now and then during single player games and last time that happened i had red rings a week later lol, do you have any recomendations about the power brick aswell i read on the net that keeping it suspended in a shoe box with no lid on helps to keep it cool or is the power brick not too important.
swaj123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 swaj123
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

how about putting one of those little laptop coolers underneath? they're cheap and it can't hurt. At the very least it would be better than even a solid surface (you could also plug the cooler into a nearby computer so as not to draw on the xbox's power...)

Having fans blow on the back vent of the xbox seems counterintuitive. The xbox wants to blow hot air OUT the back, so why limit that process by blowing air in?

HFC-LUKE-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HFC-LUKE-08

I have used cold packs on electronics to lower them temp. You just have to make sure there is no excess water from the freezer on them when using on a game system; also, they should not be in a place that may block the fans or air vents.Shmoe82

about cooling packs do you use frozen 1s or just really cold water, i was thinking of using frozen 1s but then the water coming off the pack itself would be a problem

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
its such bs you have to go thru all this just so the system doesn't overheat..I thnik its complete nonsense... I have 10 videogame systems all together and i don't have to worry about any of them overheating... My ps3 nor wii overheats... Such bs the consumer has to go thru all this.. ok, i'm done venting!!
jcarlc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jcarlc84
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It's not a problem if only you install the game your playing in your HDD everytime. Problem solved.
OMG789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OMG789
Member since 2007 • 228 Posts

I guess just give it enough room to breath

I just got the red rings recently too right when i got my Dead Space back -_-

planetkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 planetkyle
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
Place it horizontally, not vertically. Clip-on Nyko cooling fans in the back draw additional air OUT the back, not blowing it in against the fans, as some people have falsely stated. Place a small fan blowing in on the RIGHT side (grey slotted panel end that doesn't have the HD) so that cool air is forced in. You won't believe how much hot air is forced out the back! Does it work? I've had the same xbox360 since Aug 2006. Good luck.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
get a milk crate lay the xbox on that the holes in the crate will help the bottom to
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
from my experience,its gonna crap out on you no matter what you do. No need in waisting electricity by turning up the AC or buying a little "cooler".
Deluhathol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deluhathol
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

@planetkyle

Oops, I worded the part about the fans poorly. What I meant was, although the additional fans are trying to pull more air out the back by working with the fans already in place, the added turbulence can actually decrease the effectiveness compared to just sticking with the regular cooling system.

On another note, what has been said above is pretty much all you can do; set it off the ground as much as possible (including the power brick) to ventilate the area around it to maximize air flow, keep it clean and dust free, and try to minimize the room temperature. That said, even if you do all this it is by no means a guarantee that it will work. Although my 360 has been fine, my brother's one just died (has been sent off just now), and he took just as much care of his as I did mine. So pretty much, if it's gonna break, it WILL break, no matter what you do.