Xbox 360 blu ray player?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Danold
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts
How long do you think it will be until we see a 360 blu ray player add on? Ill give it a matter of months...
etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts
Not sure if we'll see one at all. Perhaps on the next version of the xbox, but that's still a way's off. The way I see it, it seems like Sony isn't using all that blu-ray discs have to offer. Devil May Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed along with a bunch of other multiplat games all look similar. What's the pont of switching to blu-ray when all it would (potentially) do is play blu-ray movies like the add-on hd-dvd player did. I've got no problem if I have to have to switch out 2 to 3 dvds rather than have one blu-ray disc for now. Just my opinion. Good topic btw.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
would be lame usb to console console to tv bad for bandwith
callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
A lot of people, including myself, bought a ps3 because it was one of the cheapest Bluray players on the market. So, if MS offered a super cheap bluray player, i bet it could detract some potential ps3 users, but maybe not a significant amount.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
Read this: Microsoft's Xbox could consider Blu-ray support "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Albert Penello, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware said when asked whether Microsoft would support a Blu-ray DVD accessory in the event that HD-DVD failed.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I don't know. I just don't see Microsoft supporting Sony is any way. Then again, they may not have a choice with the next xbox console.
hardcore84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardcore84
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

I don't know. I just don't see Microsoft supporting Sony is any way. Then again, they may not have a choice with the next xbox console.cd_rom

Microsoft not supporting Sony? What about all the Sony PC's out there running Windows?

Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Danold
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts

I don't know. I just don't see Microsoft supporting Sony is any way. Then again, they may not have a choice with the next xbox console.cd_rom

It wouldn't really support sony, it would do the exact opposite, more competition. Elaborate on how you believe sony would benefit.

rydalincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rydalincoln
Member since 2007 • 97 Posts
Who cares about blu ray or Hd-DVD there pointless just expensive DVD players that have better picture quality.
satec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 satec
Member since 2003 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]I don't know. I just don't see Microsoft supporting Sony is any way. Then again, they may not have a choice with the next xbox console.Danold

It wouldn't really support sony, it would do the exact opposite, more competition. Elaborate on how you believe sony would benefit.

Sony makes Blu-Ray disks.

There is no reason why they wouldn't though, if they think that they will sell. They won't use it for games, they don't need to anyways, but they might start using it for people who want a Blu-Ray player.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#11 UnlivedPhalanx
Member since 2005 • 5433 Posts
[QUOTE="Danold"]

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]I don't know. I just don't see Microsoft supporting Sony is any way. Then again, they may not have a choice with the next xbox console.satec

Sony makes Blu-Ray disks.

There is no reason why they wouldn't though, if they think that they will sell. They won't use it for games, they don't need to anyways, but they might start using it for people who want a Blu-Ray player.

Discs* with a C is an optical, with K it is magnetic.

On topic though: I think more of a question would be: Will MS actually push a Sony product? I believe no, but I could always be wrong.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Not sure if we'll see one at all. Perhaps on the next version of the xbox, but that's still a way's off. The way I see it, it seems like Sony isn't using all that blu-ray discs have to offer. Devil May Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed along with a bunch of other multiplat games all look similar. What's the pont of switching to blu-ray when all it would (potentially) do is play blu-ray movies like the add-on hd-dvd player did. I've got no problem if I have to have to switch out 2 to 3 dvds rather than have one blu-ray disc for now. Just my opinion. Good topic btw.etmaul

your rite somewhat we most likly wont see blue ray in a 360 it be very stupid maby in 2010-2011 we see new xbox because that 5 year is coming up (just loookin at past theres new system every 5-6 years)

theres a big reason is switch to blueray for games ebcause games are getin biger in size because of detail and that (even tho some game look like junk from a gamecube) i dont mind switchin disc to play but u know that dont sell to gamers so ya

theres is no freaken reason to switch movies to blueray its nonsence movies only way i can see it better is if it was cheaper but ya

Fifty-FIve55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fifty-FIve55
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts
Sony doesnt control blu ray the BDA does. Sony is only 1 company in that association so if all the other companys allow Microsoft to use there technology they can its not up to just Sony
LATINKAOS510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LATINKAOS510
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts
nope. microsoft might switch to bluray for games in the next console. but for movies they are going to do what they already do digital downloads.
solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
a year maybe
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
i'm 100% sure Microsoft will come out with a Blu-ray add-on. Their main focus is games but they WILL offer a Blu-ray add-on to discourage 360 owners from getting a PS3. Plus Microsoft is already making money off of a number of Blu-ray movies. Any movie encoded in VC-1 pays Microsoft because they wrote that codec. So more Blu-ray players will generate more revenue for microsoft as well.
Legendary_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Legendary_Ross
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

I'm gonna place my bet that MS will not only release an external Blu-Ray player (for current owners who want one), but also a new Wi-Fi / Blu-Ray equipped 360 sku for new buyers.

MS can't ignore consumers or Blu-Ray. Unfortunately newly orphaned HD-DVD owners will at sometime have to migrate to Blu-Ray for HD and will want the option to play Blu-Ray on the 360. IMO, ignoring BD has the potential to alienate current 360 owners and push future buyers towards the PS3.

I think MS will want to show that the 360 is still a vital system and adapt to the market. We'll see...