dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

So, I've never owned or really ever even considered owning an Xbox of any sort. I've been playing on PlayStation since the PS1. I am now considering buying an Xbox One as a second console, mostly because of my interest in its backwards compatibility but also some of the exclusives. I have a series of questions about it and some specific games. If anyone could answer any of them honestly, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do you need a paid Xbox Live service to use BC?

2. Do you need a paid XBL for achievements and game updates?

3. How well does BC work? Like how do the games play and look in comparison to the original game? When you play a BC game, do you get the patch updates too or is it just the original version they shipped?

4. I wouldn't even be considering buying an Xbox One if it wasn't for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They are among my all-time favorite games and I miss them dearly. I played both of them multiple times on PS3 back when they came out but because Bethesda games played like garbage on PS3, I never even got the chance to do everything in them. With both games, as soon as I hit 100 hours, the game's framerate was unbearable. And don't even get me started on Skyrim. FWIW, I played Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition on PS4 for a combined total of over 300 hours, and I hardly had any issues whatsoever. So what I want to know is, how well do the Xbox 360 versions of FO3 and NV play on Xbox One? Do they too get significantly worse as the save file size gets bigger?

5. Can you buy 360 games on the Xbox One digitally for BC use? Or would I have to track down old copies?

6. Finally, I know at E3 this year, Microsoft announced that they are bringing games from the original Xbox to Xbox One BC. Has there been any update on this? If I could finally play the KOTOR games, I would absolutely buy an Xbox One.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

1. No, it's completely free to use. :)

2. No, as above :)

3. It is the latest version of the game, with all the fixes/updates. Most games play the same, some games actually run better (better frame rate). Some games have issues, actually running worse than on the original machine, luckily, there is not too many of these. Just look for a video of a game you're interested in on YouTube and you'll see Xbox One BC in action.

It's not actually full emulation in the conventional sense. The games are worked on by a dedicated team who convert them to run on the Xbox One hardware. Not that this makes any difference to the games. You can still play online games just same, and the Xbox 360 mini guide is there too. When you're online, you could be playing with users with Xbox 360's or Xbox One's using BC, there is no way to tell.

4. I have no experience of playing Fallout NV via the Xbox One, but I'm not aware of any issues. I have played Fallout 3 though, and it plays the same as it would on a 360. There are no issues with extended hours of play that I'm aware of either. The game plays the same, if not better than it does on 360 hardware.

5. You can either buy the games on disc or purchase them via the Xbox Live Marketplace. The disc games do not actually run from the discs though. The system recognises a BC game when you put the disc in and says you need to download an 'update' to play the game. The 'Update' isn't an update though, it's actually the game. BC games on disc must be inserted first before they will play. Digital games run just the same as Xbox One digital games.

6. I have not seen much in the way of new news on original Xbox games. What do know is that it won’t be a large library of games. Only specially selected titles will be made BC.

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

@Bond007uk: Thank you so much. Definitely clears things up for me. I think I'll play wait and see because I really want to play the KOTOR games. And in the mean time, the price of a One S can only go down.

MarsAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MarsAlive
Member since 2017 • 13 Posts

cool