Wow, RED FACTION 3 looks amazing (mini-preview inside)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gintheplacetobe
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gintheplacetobe
Member since 2003 • 4512 Posts

It's previewed in the latest Game Informer, and I have to say that Red Faction 3 (official title is RED FACTION: GUERRILLA) is looking to be an amazing game. Since no info (besides this preview) is really available right now, I thought I'd summarize some of the cool new feature for you guys! :)

- It will now be played from the third-person perspective and have a cover mechanic (like Gears of War or Uncharted).

- The environmental damage that made the series stand out has been upgraded significantly. Not only will you be able to blast a hole through any wall, but damage it enough and it might cause the whole building to collapse under it's own weight! The new system is so advanced that they claimed the developers had to learn the basics of architecture design, otherwise the buildings they put up using their editors would just collapse as soon as they finished it. The preview described blasting up a building from the inside to kill enemies on the levels above you... but then hearing the building creaking under it's own weight and seeing pieces of the ceiling begin to fall, meaning...get the heck out of there! You could even damage a single support beam for a bridge, so that it doesn't collapse until a convoy of enemy vehicles drive over it!

GI wrote, "Do you use the high-end explosive that are guaranteed to blow through a door? Do you cautiously make your way through the overstressed structure? Or do you box the enemy inside the place and try to send the whole building collapsing on his head?"

- Red Faction 3 continues the story of mine workers on Mars rebelling against the evil corporation that keeps them there against their will.

-I forget if they were in the past games, but #3 will feature plenty of drivable vehicles

- The game is going to be set in a giant, persistent, sandbox world! Wage guerrilla warfare (hence the title) any way you see fit. All possible targets are rated on how much of a negative impact they make on the corporation, with bigger targets also coming with a higher risk of retaliation. Take over a main enemy HQ, and they may try to take it back at any time (and put up heavier defenses in the process). Or the enemy may destroy some of your safe house they knew about.

Players can attack anything they want and recruit other resistance fighters for the task. Or you can get missions from conversation and radio chatter with your team-mates. Hurt the enemy enough in a given area, and the resistance movement may decide to stage a huge assault without any input from the player. You will now have the decision to join the assault, or to play a support role and weaken the defenses in a completely separate attack from the main forces assault, or you can even just go about your business as normal.

Also all of the NPC's will follow schedules(like Oblivion). Notice that an enemy patrol drives through an area everyday at noon? Recruit some team-mates, set up some mines in the road, and ambush them!

And that about sums it up. This game is currently scheduled for the end of 2008. Hope your as excited as I am after reading this thread!

MIB911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MIB911
Member since 2006 • 1720 Posts

sounds awesome! i should be gettin my GameInformer in the next few days and i'm excited to see what pics they have of it.

Red Faction 3: u heard it here first lol

califone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 califone
Member since 2008 • 302 Posts

I'd much rather it be in first person and nothing like the second one. Too bad it's also nothing like the first.... It should be interesting at least.

linkinSOXecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 linkinSOXecho
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts
i loved the second one. never played the first. ill definitely take a look
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

omg thats amazing.

destructible environments are full of win. though ill probably get bfbc.

chimichanu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chimichanu
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

Third person? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why?!

Kaos39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Kaos39
Member since 2007 • 695 Posts
Looks promising, but I wish it was FPS.
bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts
That looks to be amazing. Too bad about third person but Im willing to look past that as Im sure it will be a great game.
moab-doug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 moab-doug
Member since 2006 • 1893 Posts
the second and first were sweet! i owned my friends with the railgun. i hope they have it on this one! the secon one was very fun also. you could dig tunnels to the other players base and some weapon spawn points were only accesible by blowing hole in the map.
Twiggiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Twiggiy
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
I hope that it's more like the first one. Didn't like the second one too much.
AwakenedMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AwakenedMaster
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts
Is it playable is both third and first person? Kinda lame if it's just third person. I really like tps as much as fps, but I really liked Red Faction in first person. Hopefully the new view doesn't kill the game.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Why did they feel the need to go to a 3rd person perspective? Oh well, still sounds like a great game assuming that they aren't overhyping the physics.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

That all sounds truly amazing, so I hope that they deliver - wishful thinking.

With that being said, when I was younger I went out and bought the original Red Faction with a little bit of money that I had. Having no idea what the game was about (intrigued by the pictures and descriptions on the back, I was completely blown away by it. For hours I'd just shoot holes in the environment.

gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gintheplacetobe

Most people on these forums seems to always complain about the excess of FPS games coming out... And know you guys are complaining that this game ISN'T a FPS?!?! :?

Besides, I just found out the reason for the third person perspective is that this game is going to make heavy use of cover mechanics (like GeOW).

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Sounds interesting but we'll see how things actually pan out. As a long time gamer I've learned that reality is never as good as fantasy. Remember how gimmicky the environment damage was in the first game?
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gintheplacetobe

Sounds interesting but we'll see how things actually pan out. As a long time gamer I've learned that reality is never as good as fantasy. Remember how gimmicky the environment damage was in the first game?capthavic

Yeah I remember it only being useful in a handful of areas, but for the most part it was just looked cool visually.

This sounds like it will have a much larger impact on the gameplay.

cupNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 cupNoodles
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts
ok
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
the latest screenshots were REALLY bad but that's most likely because of how early in developement it it. Maybe they had to sacrifice the graphics a little for the destructible environments.
OilerBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OilerBoy
Member since 2003 • 877 Posts
Why did they make it third person? I mean its not even a red faction game now. If the company wanted to make a third person game, make a totally new game. Red Faction is meant to be in first person. I was excited when they announced this, but now I won't be buying this. Red Faction 1 + 2 were amazing, the Third won't be nearly as good.
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
3rd person = the lose......but other than that, sounds great!
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
I can't wait for this game. I have still have the first one and I play it every now and then.
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

Red Faction meets Gears and GTA4?

Count me in!

Avatar image for Silentwarrior27
Silentwarrior27