Wow! Anyone else surprised?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

Wow! I can't believe that GS gave Vanquish a 9.0! Did this surprise anyone else?

I guess I'm gonna have to try it out now...

Find the review here if you haven't seen it yet...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/vanquish/review.html?tag=topslot;thumb;1

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

Am surprised at the score, but not getting it since I didn't enjoy the demo.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Wow! I can't believe that GS gave Vanquish a 9.0! Did this surprise anyone else?

Patrickbrown56

I was a bit surprised to be honest. The game demo was solid and frentic, but getting a 9/10 is huge surprise. Nevertheless, i will pick it up once it drops hugely in price. Maybe around 20 bucks or so...

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="Patrickbrown56"]

im surprised of course....i hated the demo....boss fights are too hard in that game...i though the game would get a 4.5
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"][QUOTE="Patrickbrown56"]

im surprised of course....i hated the demo....boss fights are too hard in that game...i though the game would get a 4.5

Demon's Souls is a hard game. That didn't stop it from getting great scores. I haven't played the demo but if the game is fun then I'm not surprised at all. That's the most important aspect of a game: the fun factor.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

eerm no, guys that made Bayonetta? you know...................'best action game ever' - IGN

karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 karma1680
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts

[QUOTE="Patrickbrown56"]

Xbox360Gamer15

Thats why they always say the demo is not a reflection of the final product! I love playing demos it gives great insight into what to expect. But just like a review you can put all your stock into it. I've played some great demos whose final game was garbage. As well as some decent demos that ended in a great game.

Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

I was mainly surprised because with all of the big sequels dropping, I kind of expected Vanquish to get lost in the mix. But now I don't think that's going to be the case.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

eerm no, guys that made Bayonetta? you know...................'best action game ever' - IGN

gillri

Trusting IGN for game reviews is like trusting a vegan to pick a nice steak

The demo was fantastic and I knew the game would be too

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I was mainly surprised because with all of the big sequels dropping, I kind of expected Vanquish to get lost in the mix. But now I don't think that's going to be the case.

Patrickbrown56

Oh no, it totally will

Anyone interested in this game should know it'll be half price in a few months

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

No. Most people have been down on this game but I've been hyping it since I saw the initial developer video like a year ago.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Demo was fun. Will probably rent this though.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Gameinformer was less impressed with it, but as usual, the things they complained about matter little to me, and this title will definately go on my 'someday' list.
Avatar image for XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX
XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

I was quite suprised aswell. I thought it was going to be good and guessed gamespot would give it an 8 or 7. But seeing as it got 9 I guess that gives me no choice but to actually rent or buy it :)

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

Picked it up last night instead of Fallout because I hate that glitchfest framerate dumper andVanquish is sooo freakin polished it's insane. Platinum games have created a hit with this masterpiece, I'm already four hours in and it's the best game I played in a while.

grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 grounderman
Member since 2010 • 341 Posts

Picked it up last night instead of Fallout because I hate that glitchfest framerate dumper andVanquish is sooo freakin polished it's insane. Platinum games have created a hit with this masterpiece, I'm already four hours in and it's the best game I played in a while.

Headpopper333

so you mean, you have maybe an hour or less of the whole game left to play? and you paid what? $60, £40 ?

5/10 on destructoid kinda put me off...

Guyverguyjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guyverguyjr
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

Patrickbrown56

Must have been pretty good from when GS was playing it. I wonder if they have a demo version of it so people can try it out before buying.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Headpopper333

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

grounderman

so you mean, you have maybe an hour or less of the whole game left to play? and you paid what? $60, £40 ?

Destructoid, Really?? Who are they again and what relevance do they have in the world of criticizing games? Gamespot-9 IGN-8.5 PS3M-9.3. And for the record, Gamespot gave it a 9 and I have more faith in them than any review site on the net. Destructoid?? Seriously??

grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 grounderman

[QUOTE="grounderman"]

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

Headpopper333

Destructoid, Really?? Who are they again and what relevance do they have in the world of criticizing games? Gamespot-9 IGN-8.5 PS3M-9.3. And for the record, Gamespot gave it a 9 and I have more faith in them than any review site on the net. Destructoid?? Seriously??

yes. seriously.

so whats up with destructoid exactly? since you made it so 'clear' in your last post.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Headpopper333

Well, Jim Sterling, the reviewer is a cynical clown that does this BS just to get hits on his pathetic site. Anyone that gives the game that score isn't reviewing it objectively if you even know what that means. Gamespot>Destructoid. Objectivity is why I come here, why don't you frequent Destructoid.com if you like the site and their turd reviews, GTFO.

Tsuyoi94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tsuyoi94
Member since 2010 • 239 Posts

I'm shocked o.O .. I didn't enjoy the demo at all .. i finished it and was like : ok i ain't gonna buy that one , DELETE ..

9!? GS is getting money for scoring these games so obviously they gave em' loads of cash for that >.> ..

I'd say like 4-6 tops lol .. i got so annoyed from the characters .. MOVE IT MOVE AWAY MOVE AWAY MOVE AWAY .. so damn annoying >.> ..

grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 grounderman

Well, Jim Sterling, the reviewer is a cynical clown that does this BS just to get hits on his pathetic site. Anyone that gives the game that score isn't reviewing it objectively if you even know what that means. Gamespot>Destructoid. Objectivity is why I come here, why don't you frequent Destructoid.com if you like the site and their turd reviews, GTFO.

Headpopper333

well look at you. firing off. calm down big guy, maybe you wanna chill? take a cold bath?

did daddy leave you locked in the cupboard again?

i think its best if you take a lil' angry nap.

cos y'know, i can 'frequent' other sites if i want, im free to do that.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dave_442
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Bayonetta is awesome

Shinji Mikami / Resident Evil is awesome

Clearly Vanquish was gonna be good.

Whether its a hit commercially however...:(

MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

grounderman

well look at you. firing off. calm down big guy, maybe you wanna chill? take a cold bath?

How about you both grow up and stop arguing on an internet forum? You're both trying to act all mature yet neither of you are if you're name calling each other on GS. Either discuss the game or post on another thread.
nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

I'm shocked o.O .. I didn't enjoy the demo at all .. i finished it and was like : ok i ain't gonna buy that one , DELETE ..

9!? GS is getting money for scoring these games so obviously they gave em' loads of cash for that >.> ..

I'd say like 4-6 tops lol .. i got so annoyed from the characters .. MOVE IT MOVE AWAY MOVE AWAY MOVE AWAY .. so damn annoying >.> ..

Tsuyoi94
So was I getting paid when I enjoyed the demo? Honestly the game was alot more fun then any other TPS I've played this gen, gunna go out and buy this tomorrow
grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 grounderman

[QUOTE="grounderman"]

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

MystikRex

How about you both grow up and stop arguing on an internet forum? You're both trying to act all mature yet neither of you are if you're name calling each other on GS. Either discuss the game or post on another thread.

i posted about the game before i was told to leave because i looked at another website. what a problem i am.

Milad360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Milad360
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts
why a 9 score game makes somebody surprised?!

Tsuyoi94
easy!i know gamespot for 5 years and i dont think so!
XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

Headpopper333
Dude its a review 0_o if you have your own opinion fair enough, why tell people to GTFO when you don't even know them and thier stating thier opinion. Enough said. Goodbye, or in your case, GTFO ;)
XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX
[QUOTE="grounderman"]

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

MystikRex

Your continuing it 0_o and your not a mod so ya know you can't exactly tell them to discuss it on another thread. At first you didn't want them argueing on an internet forum, then its ok to do it on another thread? this seems to be the most appropriate thread if you ask me. And yes I am continuing it i know but I find arguements fun if thiers meaning to it ;)
grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 grounderman

Your continuing it 0_o and your not a mod so ya know you can't exactly tell them to discuss it on another thread. At first you didn't want them argueing on an internet forum, then its ok to do it on another thread? this seems to be the most appropriate thread if you ask me. And yes I am continuing it i know but I find arguements fun if thiers meaning to it ;) XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

yes. this exactly.

rockdve36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rockdve36
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts

It's a nice surprise. I figured this would be a crap title like Quantum Theory. They both looked the same to me.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

i was really worried cause the demo felt very limited, but what i can't understand is why they would give a 4-6 hour game a 9.0

Just shows how the scoring is really wacky among the editors at gamespot.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#34 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i heard a few people say every cutscene is sweet. the fast gameplay is very impressive. i might have to rent or pick this game later on
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#35 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i was really worried cause the demo felt very limited, but what i can't understand is why they would give a 4-6 hour game a 9.0

jjivey
dude look at halo's... cods. these two game series are highly know. and every time you can bust out the campaign in 5 hrs and some how every game scores 9.5.... the time it takes to play the game isn't scores it's how the devs create the game and play the game and ends the game
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
ehm no, the game looked awesome on the trailers, gears of war on steroids with a very nice armor suit = awesome gameplay, awesome game, great score. I'm playing it right now and loving it
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well going off the demo id say it dosent deserve that high. Maybe a 7.5 or 8 but 9.0 is too much if you ask me. Demo was bad average imo. It felt like a bad gears clone. The graphics were nice but the story and characters seemed lame. The boss battle was a Little dragged out too even though the ending was cool i guess. I just dont see how this game got a 9 though maybe the final product is a 1000x better. i doubt it though.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="jjivey"]

k2theswiss

dude look at halo's... cods. these two game series are highly know. and every time you can bust out the campaign in 5 hrs and some how every game scores 9.5.... the time it takes to play the game isn't scores it's how the devs create the game and play the game and ends the game

yeah because COD and Halo dont have countless hours of award winning Mp backing them up. Also Halo games are def longer than 4-6 hours unless your speed running.

Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
I would give it slightly lower but that's just because didn't like the games style.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Not that surprised actually. Expected it to score around 8.5 or 9.0.

zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

i kinda believe it would get a score like that since one of the guys behind resident evil 4 had alot to do with vanquish. I found the demo to be alot of fun, but sadly it looks like its a rental at best because i hear its really short and doesnt really have any replay value.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Gameinformer was less impressed with it, but as usual, the things they complained about matter little to me, and this title will definately go on my 'someday' list.El_Zo1212o
If you don't mind the lame characters, cheesy dialogue, and poor story and only care about gameplay.. this would be the game for you. Same story with Bayonetta. PlatinumGames made both games and they are both aligned when it comes to what they focus on in developing a video game.
jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="jjivey"]

Gen007

yeah because COD and Halo dont have countless hours of award winning Mp backing them up. Also Halo games are def longer than 4-6 hours unless your speed running.

Yea thats what i'm saying, 4-6 hours and your done. Also i don't think you realize how short a 4 hour game is. Thats almost unheard of in a retail game today. 4 hours is something you would find in a Arcade game. $15 per hour is still steep even for a great game.

Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kensei_Seraph
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

Definately suprised me. Its been a long time since an arcady looking game got such a high score. Quite refreshing to see though seeing as every high scoring game seems to be an FPS or huge name brand.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Nice!
TheProGam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheProGam3r
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts

Definately suprised me. Its been a long time since an arcady looking game got such a high score. Quite refreshing to see though seeing as every high scoring game seems to be an FPS or huge name brand.

Kensei_Seraph
You took the words right out of my mouth.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I liked everything except the Japanese style boss battle, which I found unpleasantly reminiscent of Lost Planet.
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kensei_Seraph
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

[QUOTE="Kensei_Seraph"]

TheProGam3r

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Happy to do so! haha

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Headpopper333

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"] dude look at halo's... cods. these two game series are highly know. and every time you can bust out the campaign in 5 hrs and some how every game scores 9.5.... the time it takes to play the game isn't scores it's how the devs create the game and play the game and ends the game jjivey

Yea thats what i'm saying, 4-6 hours and your done. Also i don't think you realize how short a 4 hour game is. Thats almost unheard of in a retail game today. 4 hours is something you would find in a Arcade game. $15 per hour is still steep even for a great game.

Wow, really? 15$ per hour huh? That's funny, I'm almost six hours in and still have about two plus hours left and then there's the challenge mode that has unlimited replay value. Oh yea, Gamespot gave the most hyped up anticipated RPG Fallout: NV a 7.5 LMAO. They gave Vanquish a 9 because they are objective and it's just a better game, get over it.