Would you consider XBL trash-talking cyberbullying?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
I must say that when players (of any age) show animosity towards other players through trashtalking, it could be considered bullying. And since it's online, it would take on the name "cyberbullying". So therefore, given that many trashtalkers repeat the same lines over and over again, wouldn't you consider them cyberbullies?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
Yes and no. Smacktalk on its own is nothing more than smacktalk. It's when it gets vindictive and constant that it could be called cyberbullying, but that's very rare to see.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NicAgent
I've seen it before. One time I was playing on Raven Down, and I was struggling. I was in last place by nearly 100 points, and after every round a couple people on the opposing team repeatedly hounded me to quit the match saying how I suck. They sounded like 16+ years in age.
KURUPT_ON3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KURUPT_ON3
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts

I must say that when players (of any age) show animosity towards other players through trashtalking, it could be considered bullying. And since it's online, it would take on the name "cyberbullying". So therefore, given that many trashtalkers repeat the same lines over and over again, wouldn't you consider them cyberbullies?NicAgent

In most cases yes but thats only if you dont mute them or just trash talk back which i only do when they get owned to teach them to never trash talk to me. I could understand people getting upset over a certain comment but seriously if you let a little 12 year old call you names and you just sit there and take it thats really just encouraging them to keep at it untill they get you really pissed off. I usually just mute them if they make a comment i dont like but if they continue i will just talk back and hand out rapings.

Devallyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Devallyk
Member since 2005 • 4078 Posts

I would consider them cyberbullies, yes.

But 'cyberbully' is four whole sylables. It's easier just to call them 'tools'.

nonsoville2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 nonsoville2
Member since 2006 • 4124 Posts
*Talks like south park citizens* If u don't like it, then Getaargh...
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NicAgent

[QUOTE="NicAgent"]I must say that when players (of any age) show animosity towards other players through trashtalking, it could be considered bullying. And since it's online, it would take on the name "cyberbullying". So therefore, given that many trashtalkers repeat the same lines over and over again, wouldn't you consider them cyberbullies?KURUPT_ON3

In most cases yes but thats only if you dont mute them or just trash talk back which i only do when they get owned to teach them to never trash talk to me. I could understand people getting upset over a certain comment but seriously if you let a little 12 year old call you names and you just sit there and take it thats really just encouraging them to keep at it untill they get you really pissed off. I usually just mute them if they make a comment i dont like but if they continue i will just talk back and hand out rapings.

Well in the event I just outlined there wasn't much I could do, because everything they said was justified - I did indeed suck that match! However, there was a 12-year old (or some age around there) trashtalker more recently who was in last place, and I easily fought back saying that whatever he said was indeed frivolous. He soon got his first kill after 3 or 4 rounds but still, he knew nothing of what he was saying.
thebatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thebatcat
Member since 2005 • 537 Posts
It's a word at a certain urban site which is a dictionary that seems to have the title of the site censored here, weird! 1. cyberbully A word used by the Millennium "WORD CENSORED" (women who have had their first kid between 1990 and 2005) to describe children who tease other children via the Internet. The Mothers Against Cyberbullying are some tough sisters, all right. by GuidoPosse69 Feb 6, 2005 ----i censored that one word to not get banned here---
Avatar image for KaotiK_un_basic
KaotiK_un_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KaotiK_un_basic
Member since 2002 • 2128 Posts

haha cyberbullying.. i always get a kick out of people saying that.

we're raising a generation of pansies. can't even deal with people calling them names over the internet.. sad.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NicAgent
I'm guessing that whenever you hear a trashtalker in Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW 2, Command and Conquer 3 - the trashtalker was inspired by Halo 2.
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#11 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
theres not such thing as cyber bullying its just called trashtalking.
TheBlueBuckeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheBlueBuckeye
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Maybe I'm just the type who doesn't care if it is called that or not.  I mean, if Little Johnny gets his feelings hurt by some no-name kid in Halo 2, then perhaps it is time that we introduce Johnny to a game like Viva Pinata?  Seriously, if you don't like what you hear coming out of the mouths of pubescant retards on Live then mute the mic, ignore the conversation, or don't play that game online.  Freedom of choice.

And if you are a parent and you are ticked because your Little Johnny got his feelings hurt, maybe you should pay a little more attention to what LIttle Johnny is playing.  If he is 12 years old and playing a game like Gears, perhaps you should reevaluate the games you purchase for him...

So is trashtalking considered cyberbullying?  Probably.  Cyberbullying is just a more politically correct way of saying "trashtalking".

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NicAgent
Yes I am fully aware that trashtalkers, like any players with mics, can be muted. However, the emotional and psychological trauma may remain with you should the trashtalking be justified (i.e. if they bait you for losing).
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Yes I am fully aware that trashtalkers, like any players with mics, can be muted. However, the emotional and psychological trauma may remain with you should the trashtalking be justified (i.e. if they bait you for losing).NicAgent

To be honest, I don't see how people would be too bothered about it. I dislike trash talkers as much as the next guy but I just mute and move on. I don't have time for them. I don't go through emotional and psychological trauma because of what some guy is saying to me over xbox live because they just wouldn't be able to offend me. If somebody calls me bad, I don't care because I don't mind if I am not the best at playing a game. Its a video game and even though I guess by definition it is a form of "bullying", it doesn't matter as a whole as, again, its a video game.

weasel_cleaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weasel_cleaner
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

we're raising a generation of pansies. can't even deal with people calling them names over the internet.. sad.

KaotiK_un_basic

I'm inclinced to disagree with you on that. I think we're raising a generation of social degenerates that have no clue how to act appropriate towards other people.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts

Devallyk
:lol: I agree with this guy.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NicAgent

[QUOTE="NicAgent"]Yes I am fully aware that trashtalkers, like any players with mics, can be muted. However, the emotional and psychological trauma may remain with you should the trashtalking be justified (i.e. if they bait you for losing).Caddy06_88

To be honest, I don't see how people would be too bothered about it. I dislike trash talkers as much as the next guy but I just mute and move on. I don't have time for them. I don't go through emotional and psychological trauma because of what some guy is saying to me over xbox live because they just wouldn't be able to offend me. If somebody calls me bad, I don't care because I don't mind if I am not the best at playing a game. Its a video game and even though I guess by definition it is a form of "bullying", it doesn't matter as a whole as, again, its a video game.

We'll I'm never afraid of them, as there's no way of finding out where I live, but the fact that you are hated by them just shows dissatisfaction. However, in many cases the trashtalkers don't have any reason to hate you and start talking smack the moment they see you pop up in the room.
HoovenStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 HoovenStyle
Member since 2007 • 146 Posts
I allways wait for someone to say something to me.  When they atart trash talking then I begin.  It gets really bad sometimes, but it is really fun.
Avatar image for potentialbadboy
potentialbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 potentialbadboy
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

Devallyk

LMAO, yep thats exactly what I do!!! Fantastic isnt it, finding new ways to insult idiots! :D There is definately an interlectual underclass that plays halo in preferance to Rainbow Six (for example).

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
No because nobody's feelings get hurt.  If a 12 year old is calling me names, why should I care?  He's just a nuisance.  If I tell him to shutup he won't care either.  It's the internet, sometimes people try to be as mean as possible because no harm can come to them.
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts
Some of it yes, other times no .. because you always have the option on quiting or muting that person.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NicAgent
Now I hope this thread does not give you the wrong impression - the vast, vast minority of players I encounter in Gears of War are trashtalkers. I'd say only once a week on average I encounter one - though I only average about 90-120 minutes or so on Xbox Live daily.
xXmeatwad225Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xXmeatwad225Xx
Member since 2006 • 1553 Posts

No way man!  The trash talking is why MS charges you the fifty bucks a year.

But don't worry man you'll get use to it you are still a bit new to this whole live thing. 

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
It would depend i think a bit of banter is harmless and in fact probably makes the game a bit better but when it turns to racist remarks and other stuff then i would class that as bullying.
Avatar image for Magicallystupid
Magicallystupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Magicallystupid
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The only way I'd call it cyberbullying is if a bully who's been hassling another kid in school.  Then went online, seeked that same kid out, and continued to torment him.  And if that happens, that's a kid with WAY too much free time, and WAY too few hugs from his mommy.

Trashtalking is just one of those things which will always happen.  I know with the people I play with, that the trashtalking is just for fun, and if it goes too far I can just say so, and they'll slow it down a little.

acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts
I consider it Hilarious
Apillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Apillow
Member since 2003 • 1062 Posts
I consider anyone that trash talks or bullies over a freaking video game to have very serious emotional / mental issues.
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
its xbox live if they don't want to be bullied then they need to say something back if they constantly do it then mute them and if they keep sending messages just delete them
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
but the bully would have to be the kids friend on xbox live for him to send messages so the kid could just deny the friend request ....u can only be bullied on xbox live if u let it happen

The only way I'd call it cyberbullying is if a bully who's been hassling another kid in school.  Then went online, seeked that same kid out, and continued to torment him.  And if that happens, that's a kid with WAY too much free time, and WAY too few hugs from his mommy.

Trashtalking is just one of those things which will always happen.  I know with the people I play with, that the trashtalking is just for fun, and if it goes too far I can just say so, and they'll slow it down a little.

Magicallystupid
montzag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 montzag
Member since 2004 • 2374 Posts
Personally, I don't think it can be classified like that. I don't have a ton of experience with bullies, but I have certainly been intimidated by people before. The size and physical aspect of the other person was always the telltale sign. Like being scared of the 8th graders when you're in 6th grade only because you know they can beat you up.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Considering that the most they can usually do is verbally harass you, it would be a stretch to characterize all trash-talkers as cyber-bullies.
Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

simple formula:  Video game + Seperation via internet + Pretty much complete anonymity + frustration = loud response.

Who cares what people say over xbox live? 99 times out 100 what people say over live they'd never repeat to your face, so why make it an issue? Laugh at them and move on.  Don't use terms like "psychological damage" and "trauma" because that justifies the act to the trash-talker, so either grow a repertoire of invective and fight back, or mute them and move on.  Geez.  Overkill anyone? I mean this is the type of thing Jack Thompson would write a letter about: "Little Timmy is depressed because someone said he lacked 'game' while competing in an online video game, disgusting" 

bigjoeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bigjoeh
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I completely agree with the comment that people these days are a little too soft for their own good. Talking trash is a part of any competition. What do you think NFL players are saying to each other down on the field? Swapping recipes? If you can't take it, stick to single player games.

However, I also agree that there is a limit - a difference between talking a little smack and being an outright a**. Giving a person some crap is one thing, so long as you're good-natured about it. You know, let 'em know you're not serious, limit profanity and racist comments, don't make the insults too personal, and show 'em some respect when they finally put a little lead in your diet. But the folks who pop into an online game and immediately start spewing hate seriously need up the dosage on their medication. I am not interested in sampling an 11-year-old's extensive knowledge of profanity and racist slurs, and I very seriously doubt if some random douchebag on Xbox Live knows the first thing about my sex life and/or mother.

So really, I can't say I know what in the hell a "cyberbully" is, but I do know a prick when I come across one, and I know what to do about 'em. Mute 'em, have my way with 'em, then kick 'em and take a bite out of their Live reputation. I'm certainly not going to let it bother me enough to bring it up in therapy . . . my hour with Dr. Lowenstein flys by so fast the way it is.

Bojankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bojankin
Member since 2003 • 388 Posts
Trashtalking is to get yourself more excited while playing and helps you show off when you do well. It's just words and words do nothing especially when you don't even know the person talkin smack, it's just some random nerd. If you think this is a form of bullying go workout build some muscle and stop being such a weakling. :roll:
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NicAgent

I completely agree with the comment that people these days are a little too soft for their own good. Talking trash is a part of any competition. What do you think NFL players are saying to each other down on the field? Swapping recipes? If you can't take it, stick to single player games.

However, I also agree that there is a limit - a difference between talking a little smack and being an outright a**. Giving a person some crap is one thing, so long as you're good-natured about it. You know, let 'em know you're not serious, limit profanity and racist comments, don't make the insults too personal, and show 'em some respect when they finally put a little lead in your diet. But the folks who pop into an online game and immediately start spewing hate seriously need up the dosage on their medication. I am not interested in sampling an 11-year-old's extensive knowledge of profanity and racist slurs, and I very seriously doubt if some random douchebag on Xbox Live knows the first thing about my sex life and/or mother.

So really, I can't say I know what in the hell a "cyberbully" is, but I do know a prick when I come across one, and I know what to do about 'em. Mute 'em, have my way with 'em, then kick 'em and take a bite out of their Live reputation. I'm certainly not going to let it bother me enough to bring it up in therapy . . . my hour with Dr. Lowenstein flys by so fast the way it is.

bigjoeh
Yeah you have a point there. If you don't know what a cyberbully is, it's easy to self-define. It's a compound word. You know what a "bully" is of course, and you know what "cyber" means. So therefore it is suffice to say that cyberbullying is bullying that occurs through cyberspace (which Xbox Live is).
t8z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 t8z
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts
I wouldn't consider it cyberbullying, as bullying is more of an ongoing thing. Although, if it is almost everyong trash-talking about the one player, then yes i would consider that bullying. I don't think anyone should take the little 12 year olds calling you a bad player, or saying bad things about your mum all that seriously. It is after all just a game, and if people want to take it to another level, then they are really quite sad.
cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 cokessweet7777
Member since 2006 • 1989 Posts
no?
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NicAgent
I'm thinking some trashtalkers who are 15 and older are drunk while playing. Is that true?
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
I would if I were a little crybaby.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NicAgent
While some trashtalkers are just there to get attention, I bet others intend to intimidate others.
Avatar image for DbleBassDrummer
DbleBassDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 DbleBassDrummer
Member since 2005 • 1375 Posts

Grenade tag = wedgie.

It's the same thing.

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
As long as there is an option to mute, then trash-talking is not bullying. But if someone were to send threatening messages repeatedly, then clearly that person takes games far too seriously for their own good, as well as the good of others.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NicAgent
Well actually since the trashtalkers you encounter on XBL are people who live megameters away from you and obviously don't know who you are, they really aren't like the "true" cyberbullies, who might go to your school, know your AIM screenname, and send you harmful instant messages or even post attack websites against you. But XBL trash-talking could be cyberbullying if let's say everyone in the room was shouting insults at you and laughing when you get killed.